Re: *istDS ICC color profile

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Hilton, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> Bill Hilton wrote ...
    >>
    >> What you actually need is an accurate tone curve for this camera and

    >> the RAW converter you're using ...

    >Papenfuss writes ...
    >
    > I would say that a generic ICC profile will accomplish this.

    Don't think so ... each RAW converter has a different conversion
    "engine" and interprets the RAW data differently, so a "generic"
    profile won't do it, you need one specific for that converter. As one
    example, I have four RAW converters on my computer and cannot share
    profiles between them, even though two were written by the same guy.
    Actually IIRC some of the $30 custom profiles written by Magne Nilsen
    for one version of Capture One must be updated for later versions of C1
    because the program changed enough to throw the colors off a bit.

    > The RAW converter "company" I'm emplyoying is ...

    Talk to them and use what they supplied. They should have supplied
    *something* if they support your camera. If there's a user forum for
    this outfit you might see if others have found better solutions. If
    you fail to find anything you might consider getting a different RAW
    converter with more support.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Mar 21, 2005

  2. Bill Hilton

    Guest

    Bill Hilton <> wrote:
    : > I would say that a generic ICC profile will accomplish this.

    : Don't think so ... each RAW converter has a different conversion
    : "engine" and interprets the RAW data differently, so a "generic"
    : profile won't do it, you need one specific for that converter. As one
    : example, I have four RAW converters on my computer and cannot share
    : profiles between them, even though two were written by the same guy.
    : Actually IIRC some of the $30 custom profiles written by Magne Nilsen
    : for one version of Capture One must be updated for later versions of C1
    : because the program changed enough to throw the colors off a bit.

    I'm not sure I buy that. The ICC is a colorspace transformation. The RAW
    converter is a Bayer matrix interpolator. While I don't doubt that many RAW converter
    applications use their own tweaks to the interpolator and setpoints for specific
    camera models, the whole point of ICC is a standardized colorspace transformation
    matrix.

    : > The RAW converter "company" I'm emplyoying is ...

    : Talk to them and use what they supplied. They should have supplied
    : *something* if they support your camera. If there's a user forum for
    : this outfit you might see if others have found better solutions. If
    : you fail to find anything you might consider getting a different RAW
    : converter with more support.

    Not sure if you caught the link, but there is no company. It's open-source
    for linux and supports ICC input and output profiles. It supports reading the RAW
    file from the camera (using sRGB by default), but I have not located the standardized
    profile for sensor calibration. The sRGB correction is not done by the camera when it
    shoots RAW, so it's not really a valid import colorspace... it just happens to be the
    default.

    -Cory

    * Cory Papenfuss *
    , Mar 21, 2005

  3. Bill Hilton

    Stacey Guest

    wrote:

    > Bill Hilton <> wrote:
    > : > I would say that a generic ICC profile will accomplish this.
    >
    > : Don't think so ... each RAW converter has a different conversion
    > : "engine" and interprets the RAW data differently, so a "generic"
    > : profile won't do it, you need one specific for that converter. As one
    > : example, I have four RAW converters on my computer and cannot share
    > : profiles between them, even though two were written by the same guy.
    > : Actually IIRC some of the $30 custom profiles written by Magne Nilsen
    > : for one version of Capture One must be updated for later versions of C1
    > : because the program changed enough to throw the colors off a bit.
    >
    > I'm not sure I buy that. The ICC is a colorspace transformation.

    And unless the lighting color is fixed.

    Color management just doesn't work like you are thinking.

    > Not sure if you caught the link, but there is no company. It's
    > open-source
    > for linux and supports ICC input and output profiles. It supports reading
    > the RAW file from the camera (using sRGB by default), but I have not
    > located the standardized
    > profile for sensor calibration.

    There may not be one avalible.

    > The sRGB correction is not done by the
    > camera when it shoots RAW, so it's not really a valid import colorspace...
    > it just happens to be the default.

    Like I said in another post, the guy who wrote this based it on that nikon
    has a icc file in a windoze folder that he used to calibrate DCRAW to get
    better colors with -his- camera. It's more of a base icc file that nikons
    RAW converter references for the conversion.

    Unless pentax has an icc file someone in the windoze install, that isn't
    just compiled into their RAW converter, you're on your own generating a
    icc profile that will do this. I went through this with my E300 trying to
    avoid using windows and finally gave up. Maybe you'll have better luck,
    hope it works out for ya.

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Mar 22, 2005