Re: ISP opinions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Stephen Worthington, Feb 3, 2012.

  1. On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:22:50 +1300, whoisthis <>
    wrote:

    >Happy with Orcon except for their prices ($155 for 100G)
    >+ $x for faxibility/caller ID ?
    >
    >We currently have 55G with them and regularly go over that costing us a
    >small fortune (phone is with telecom)
    >
    >I do NOT want their new IP phone deal, I see no reason to buy another
    >UPS just so the phone will work during a power cut !
    >Apart from the fact that my house is wired with CAT5 and their box
    >of tricks will then end up located in a cupboard in the hall which
    >will simply be a pain in the arse. Oh and their IP phone does NOT support
    >monitored alarms, and NO, I have no intention for paying $$$ to get the
    >alarm system changed to an IP based one.
    >The POTS has been far more reliable than the broadband !
    >

    >So I am now considering Vodaphone which will cost
    >$100 for 60G
    >$30.60 to double this to 120G
    >Another $8.18 for Caller ID and faxibility
    >
    >Total $138.78
    >
    >However for this we get a free mySky HDi box ($15/month normally)
    >and unlimited calls to 1 vodaphone cell phone.
    >

    >So whats their reliability like, and speed like.
    >Do they have fixed IP, I use VPN back to home for various things
    >and run as basic web server for a few friends. Yes I can use dyndns
    >but a fixed IP simply makes it easier (lazier ?).
    >
    >I can live with the loss of NNTP, are there any other know issues ?
    >
    >If they did VDSL that would be interesting as according to the Chorus
    >map we have it in our area with the junction box all of 20-30m away from
    >our house :)
    >

    >TIA

    I have been very happy with WorldNet:

    http://www.worldnet.co.nz/

    At their pricing, for your $120 you would get 400 Gibytes. But they
    do not have some of the other bits in that Vodafone package.
    Officially you have to pay them for a fixed IP address, but they seem
    to have given me one for free (I am a long term customer). In any
    case, if your ADSL router requests that it be given back the same IP
    on reconnection, it usually will be unless too much time has gone by
    and it has been reassigned to someone else. I have my toll calls with
    them, and it costs less to phone USA (8 c/min) than it does calling
    around NZ (9 c/min). They do not cap calls at up to 2 hours though,
    unlike many other toll operators. Their phone support is excellent,
    but you do have to get used to their mostly Korean accents.

    Stephen Worthington, Feb 3, 2012

  2. Stephen Worthington

    Geopelia Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:22:50 +1300, whoisthis <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Happy with Orcon except for their prices ($155 for 100G)
    >>+ $x for faxibility/caller ID ?
    >>
    >>We currently have 55G with them and regularly go over that costing us a
    >>small fortune (phone is with telecom)
    >>
    >>I do NOT want their new IP phone deal, I see no reason to buy another
    >>UPS just so the phone will work during a power cut !
    >>Apart from the fact that my house is wired with CAT5 and their box
    >>of tricks will then end up located in a cupboard in the hall which
    >>will simply be a pain in the arse. Oh and their IP phone does NOT support
    >>monitored alarms, and NO, I have no intention for paying $$$ to get the
    >>alarm system changed to an IP based one.
    >>The POTS has been far more reliable than the broadband !
    >>

    >>So I am now considering Vodaphone which will cost
    >>$100 for 60G
    >>$30.60 to double this to 120G
    >>Another $8.18 for Caller ID and faxibility
    >>
    >>Total $138.78
    >>
    >>However for this we get a free mySky HDi box ($15/month normally)
    >>and unlimited calls to 1 vodaphone cell phone.
    >>

    >>So whats their reliability like, and speed like.
    >>Do they have fixed IP, I use VPN back to home for various things
    >>and run as basic web server for a few friends. Yes I can use dyndns
    >>but a fixed IP simply makes it easier (lazier ?).
    >>
    >>I can live with the loss of NNTP, are there any other know issues ?
    >>
    >>If they did VDSL that would be interesting as according to the Chorus
    >>map we have it in our area with the junction box all of 20-30m away from
    >>our house :)
    >>

    >>TIA

    > I have been very happy with WorldNet:
    >
    > http://www.worldnet.co.nz/
    >
    > At their pricing, for your $120 you would get 400 Gibytes. But they
    > do not have some of the other bits in that Vodafone package.
    > Officially you have to pay them for a fixed IP address, but they seem
    > to have given me one for free (I am a long term customer). In any
    > case, if your ADSL router requests that it be given back the same IP
    > on reconnection, it usually will be unless too much time has gone by
    > and it has been reassigned to someone else. I have my toll calls with
    > them, and it costs less to phone USA (8 c/min) than it does calling
    > around NZ (9 c/min). They do not cap calls at up to 2 hours though,
    > unlike many other toll operators. Their phone support is excellent,
    > but you do have to get used to their mostly Korean accents.

    I have Telecom and xtra, a plan which includes the phone and internet.
    Around $86 a month for both.
    5GB, but I only use between 1 and 2 GB.
    It seems to work well.

    Geopelia, Feb 6, 2012

  3. On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 00:17:39 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:22:50 +1300, whoisthis <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Happy with Orcon except for their prices ($155 for 100G)
    >>>+ $x for faxibility/caller ID ?
    >>>
    >>>We currently have 55G with them and regularly go over that costing us a
    >>>small fortune (phone is with telecom)
    >>>
    >>>I do NOT want their new IP phone deal, I see no reason to buy another
    >>>UPS just so the phone will work during a power cut !
    >>>Apart from the fact that my house is wired with CAT5 and their box
    >>>of tricks will then end up located in a cupboard in the hall which
    >>>will simply be a pain in the arse. Oh and their IP phone does NOT support
    >>>monitored alarms, and NO, I have no intention for paying $$$ to get the
    >>>alarm system changed to an IP based one.
    >>>The POTS has been far more reliable than the broadband !
    >>>

    >>>So I am now considering Vodaphone which will cost
    >>>$100 for 60G
    >>>$30.60 to double this to 120G
    >>>Another $8.18 for Caller ID and faxibility
    >>>
    >>>Total $138.78
    >>>
    >>>However for this we get a free mySky HDi box ($15/month normally)
    >>>and unlimited calls to 1 vodaphone cell phone.
    >>>

    >>>So whats their reliability like, and speed like.
    >>>Do they have fixed IP, I use VPN back to home for various things
    >>>and run as basic web server for a few friends. Yes I can use dyndns
    >>>but a fixed IP simply makes it easier (lazier ?).
    >>>
    >>>I can live with the loss of NNTP, are there any other know issues ?
    >>>
    >>>If they did VDSL that would be interesting as according to the Chorus
    >>>map we have it in our area with the junction box all of 20-30m away from
    >>>our house :)
    >>>

    >>>TIA

    >> I have been very happy with WorldNet:
    >>
    >> http://www.worldnet.co.nz/
    >>
    >> At their pricing, for your $120 you would get 400 Gibytes. But they
    >> do not have some of the other bits in that Vodafone package.
    >> Officially you have to pay them for a fixed IP address, but they seem
    >> to have given me one for free (I am a long term customer). In any
    >> case, if your ADSL router requests that it be given back the same IP
    >> on reconnection, it usually will be unless too much time has gone by
    >> and it has been reassigned to someone else. I have my toll calls with
    >> them, and it costs less to phone USA (8 c/min) than it does calling
    >> around NZ (9 c/min). They do not cap calls at up to 2 hours though,
    >> unlike many other toll operators. Their phone support is excellent,
    >> but you do have to get used to their mostly Korean accents.

    >I have Telecom and xtra, a plan which includes the phone and internet.
    >Around $86 a month for both.
    >5GB, but I only use between 1 and 2 GB.
    >It seems to work well.

    Very DEAR..

    Frank Williams, Feb 7, 2012
  4. Stephen Worthington

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 00:17:39 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>message news:...

    >>> I have been very happy with WorldNet:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.worldnet.co.nz/
    >>>
    >>> At their pricing, for your $120 you would get 400 Gibytes. But they
    >>> do not have some of the other bits in that Vodafone package.
    >>> Officially you have to pay them for a fixed IP address, but they seem
    >>> to have given me one for free (I am a long term customer). In any
    >>> case, if your ADSL router requests that it be given back the same IP
    >>> on reconnection, it usually will be unless too much time has gone by
    >>> and it has been reassigned to someone else. I have my toll calls with
    >>> them, and it costs less to phone USA (8 c/min) than it does calling
    >>> around NZ (9 c/min). They do not cap calls at up to 2 hours though,
    >>> unlike many other toll operators. Their phone support is excellent,
    >>> but you do have to get used to their mostly Korean accents.

    >>I have Telecom and xtra, a plan which includes the phone and internet.
    >>Around $86 a month for both.
    >>5GB, but I only use between 1 and 2 GB.
    >>It seems to work well.
    >>

    > Very DEAR..

    The phone part is the expensive part.

    Geopelia, Feb 8, 2012
  5. Stephen Worthington

    Richard Guest

    On 2/9/2012 12:14 AM, Geopelia wrote:

    > The phone part is the expensive part.

    Agreed, that's why I dont buy one.

    If you are only using a couple of gigs then a 3G connection is quite a
    viable option.

    Richard, Feb 9, 2012
  6. Stephen Worthington

    Geopelia Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > On 2/9/2012 12:14 AM, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> The phone part is the expensive part.

    > Agreed, that's why I dont buy one.
    >
    > If you are only using a couple of gigs then a 3G connection is quite a
    > viable option.

    How can you use a computer for the internet without having a phone line?
    Doesn't it come down the wire like a phone call?

    Geopelia, Feb 9, 2012
  7. Stephen Worthington

    Geopelia Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <jh1dp9$c7o$>,
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >> > Agreed, that's why I dont buy one.
    >> >
    >> > If you are only using a couple of gigs then a 3G connection is quite a
    >> > viable option.

    >> How can you use a computer for the internet without having a phone line?
    >> Doesn't it come down the wire like a phone call?

    > 3G = by cellphone.

    We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
    But it could be worth considering later.

    Geopelia, Feb 10, 2012
  8. Stephen Worthington

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <jh1dp9$c7o$>,
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> How can you use a computer for the internet without having a phone
    >>> line? Doesn't it come down the wire like a phone call?

    >> 3G = by cellphone.

    > We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
    > But it could be worth considering later.

    You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
    cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be cheaper
    than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly soul from
    this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that* path.
    Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead. :-/

    I hope you're well. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2012
  9. Stephen Worthington

    Enkidu Guest

    On 10/02/12 14:18, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >> "whoisthis"<> wrote in message

    >>> 3G = by cellphone.

    >> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
    >> But it could be worth considering later.

    > You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
    > cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be cheaper
    > than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly soul from
    > this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that* path.
    > Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead. :-/

    Geo, I second what Shaun says.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Feb 10, 2012
  10. Stephen Worthington

    Richard Guest

    On 2/10/2012 10:27 AM, Geopelia wrote:
    > How can you use a computer for the internet without having a phone line?
    > Doesn't it come down the wire like a phone call?

    Naked DSL, Actually the slingshot connection I have for my bulk
    downloading has a phoneline with it since it was needed at the time to
    get the flatrate plan, but I dont even have a phone plugged into it
    since landlines are so expensive to use compared to a mobile.

    Richard, Feb 10, 2012
  11. Stephen Worthington

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >> "whoisthis" <> wrote in message

    >>> 3G = by cellphone.

    >> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
    >> But it could be worth considering later.

    > You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
    > cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be
    > cheaper than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly
    > soul from this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that*
    > path. Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead.
    > :-/
    >
    > I hope you're well. :)

    Thank you, yes I'm well but feeling the heat, and not getting any younger!
    I'll ask here if we decide to get a cellphone. It's not the phone itself,
    it's all these various plans that look so confusing and expensive. I would
    only use a cellphone when away from home to check on Hubby, anyway, and he
    has got the St John button for emergencies.

    But I need a large monitor and printer, so for the internet I might as well
    keep this computer.

    Geopelia, Feb 10, 2012
  12. Stephen Worthington

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
    > On 10/02/12 14:18, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "whoisthis"<> wrote in message

    >>> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
    >>> But it could be worth considering later.

    >> You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
    >> cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be
    >> cheaper
    >> than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly soul
    >> from
    >> this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that* path.
    >> Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead. :-/
    >>

    > Geo, I second what Shaun says.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Thank you.

    Geopelia, Feb 10, 2012
  13. Stephen Worthington

    Enkidu Guest

    On 11/02/12 00:36, Geopelia wrote:

    > Thank you, yes I'm well but feeling the heat, and not getting any younger!
    > I'll ask here if we decide to get a cellphone. It's not the phone itself,
    > it's all these various plans that look so confusing and expensive. I would
    > only use a cellphone when away from home to check on Hubby, anyway, and he
    > has got the St John button for emergencies.

    A cellphone is one of those devices that doesn't seem to be all that
    useful, but which one soon comes to deem essential. You have a star
    reason above - if you want to contact Hubby or vice versa and it is NOT
    a medical emergency, then you can use the cellphone - even if you are
    merely in different aisles of the supermarket. For arthritis sufferers
    there are special cellphones I believe. You also don't *have* to have a
    plan - you can do pay-as-you-go and buy top ups at most supermarkets.

    Enkidu, Feb 10, 2012
  14. Stephen Worthington

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "whoisthis" <> wrote in message

    >>> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just
    >>> now. But it could be worth considering later.

    >> You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away
    >> when a cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use
    >> will be cheaper than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest
    >> enlisting a kindly soul from this group for a few hours before you
    >> went looking down *that* path. Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead
    >> down the garden path instead. :-/
    >>
    >> I hope you're well. :)

    > Thank you, yes I'm well but feeling the heat, and not getting any
    > younger!

    Ditto to that one, although it seems we're going to have a few cooler days.

    > I'll ask here if we decide to get a cellphone. It's not the
    > phone itself, it's all these various plans that look so confusing and
    > expensive. I would only use a cellphone when away from home to check
    > on Hubby, anyway, and he has got the St John button for emergencies.

    Hmmm, in that case, if you followed through with my idea you'd need two cell
    phones; One for you, on a plan so you can get data and another pre-pay for
    Hubby. A pre-pay can cost as little as $20 / year if it's just being used to
    accept calls. Some plans might even give you a second handset for Hubby
    without charging much, if any extra instead of the pre-pay option.

    However it would take some research and perhaps some bartering, going from
    one company to another. Hence my suggestion of a 'helper' who understands
    your needs and is on your side, who can check the 'fine print' and look for
    things like outrageous over-data charges etcetera.

    > But I need a large monitor and printer, so for the internet I might
    > as well keep this computer.

    I'm not suggesting that you use a smart-phone proper for internet access. (I
    could never use one as a primary internet device, only as a back-up, *if* I
    could afford it... Even then I have more pressing needs for money than a
    smart-phone for mobile interwebs access) However, with the right cell-phone
    data plan you could keep using your existing computer only instead of
    plugging it into the wall you'd either plug a wee stick like a USB 'thumb
    drive' or actually connect to your cell phone (with the right cable).

    I'm not sure how prices stand at the moment but, the scenario I described
    above wouldn't cost much more than what you're currently paying for phone
    and internet, maybe even less (and it includes a handset for Hubby at home
    when you're out). Also, it's only going to get cheaper...

    Just throwing some ideas around Geo. :)

    Is the St John button dependant on the land-line? If so then I think that
    there's a possibility that you could get the land-line funded for you (and
    scratch all of the above <g>).

    Best,

    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2012
  15. On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:27:59 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2/9/2012 12:14 AM, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> The phone part is the expensive part.

    >> Agreed, that's why I dont buy one.
    >>
    >> If you are only using a couple of gigs then a 3G connection is quite a
    >> viable option.

    >How can you use a computer for the internet without having a phone line?
    >Doesn't it come down the wire like a phone call?

    Cable connection or a Very expensive Slow 3G Cell phone network..

    Frank Williams, Feb 10, 2012
  16. On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:37:13 +1300, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:

    >On 10/02/12 14:18, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "whoisthis"<> wrote in message

    >>> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
    >>> But it could be worth considering later.

    >> You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
    >> cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be cheaper
    >> than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly soul from
    >> this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that* path.
    >> Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead. :-/
    >>

    >Geo, I second what Shaun says.

    I would not even give it a Mark from this Chap, he has not got a Clue,
    Cell phone data will never ever be cheap..

    Frank Williams, Feb 10, 2012
  17. On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:54:55 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >On 2/10/2012 10:27 AM, Geopelia wrote:
    >> How can you use a computer for the internet without having a phone line?
    >> Doesn't it come down the wire like a phone call?

    >Naked DSL, Actually the slingshot connection I have for my bulk
    >downloading has a phoneline with it since it was needed at the time to
    >get the flatrate plan, but I dont even have a phone plugged into it
    >since landlines are so expensive to use compared to a mobile.

    Not for a Business that makes 1000 of calls a day, then you don't state
    that you have to have a 2 year Cell Phone contract at least

    Frank Williams, Feb 11, 2012
  18. On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:36:01 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "whoisthis" <> wrote in message

    >>> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
    >>> But it could be worth considering later.

    >> You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
    >> cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be
    >> cheaper than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly
    >> soul from this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that*
    >> path. Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead.
    >> :-/
    >>
    >> I hope you're well. :)

    >Thank you, yes I'm well but feeling the heat, and not getting any younger!
    >I'll ask here if we decide to get a cellphone. It's not the phone itself,
    >it's all these various plans that look so confusing and expensive. I would
    >only use a cellphone when away from home to check on Hubby, anyway, and he
    >has got the St John button for emergencies.
    >
    >But I need a large monitor and printer, so for the internet I might as well
    >keep this computer.

    Just get a 2o Cheap PRE PAID phone, but then again in most cases Cell
    phones are not needed, I have a touch screen 2G/WiFi model that is Only
    used for my wife to contact me when she needs picking up, that is all
    you need No Plan at all so you are not wasting money on a plan that you
    will never use.

    What is the Highest Addiction on OZZ, no its not Drugs but Cell
    Phones..

    Frank Williams, Feb 11, 2012
  19. On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:36:49 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Enkidu" <cliffp@bogus> wrote in message

    >>> You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
    >>> cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be
    >>> cheaper
    >>> than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly soul
    >>> from
    >>> this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that* path.
    >>> Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead. :-/
    >>>

    >> Geo, I second what Shaun says.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>

    >Thank you.

    THIS IS TOTTAL CRAP.

    Frank Williams, Feb 11, 2012
  20. On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 09:26:19 +1300, whoisthis <> wrote:

    >In article <jh2vfc$iqt$>,
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >> > You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
    >> > cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be
    >> > cheaper than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly
    >> > soul from this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that*
    >> > path. Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead.
    >> > :-/
    >> >
    >> > I hope you're well. :)

    >> Thank you, yes I'm well but feeling the heat, and not getting any younger!
    >> I'll ask here if we decide to get a cellphone. It's not the phone itself,
    >> it's all these various plans that look so confusing and expensive. I would
    >> only use a cellphone when away from home to check on Hubby, anyway, and he
    >> has got the St John button for emergencies.
    >>
    >> But I need a large monitor and printer, so for the internet I might as well
    >> keep this computer.

    >The cellphone will be replacing the ADSL modem, not the computer and
    >printer. When we are out and about I use my laptop with my cellphone so
    >I can stay in contact with various people and still do some work.

    No No far to dear..

    Frank Williams, Feb 11, 2012