Re: ISP Cancel Now what?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Oct 26, 2010.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-10-26, philo <> wrote:
    > My ISP is no longer providing DSL in may area
    > effective the end of next month.
    >
    > No big deal I thought. I have an AT&T land line, I'll just sign up for
    > AT&T DSL.
    >
    > Went to sign up on-line but it's impossible to do if you presently have
    > DSL. Of course if I didn't have DSL I'd not be able to sign up on-line.
    >
    > Sheesh
    >
    > So I called them and after a half hour or so of asking questions...
    > the bottom line is that I *cannot* sign up for AT&T DSL if I currently
    > have a DSL provider. I'll have to let it lapse then sign up.
    >
    > They could not tell me how long I'd have to wait to get new service...
    > they said it might be four days or so.
    >

    > Aargh!!!!

    Here in the UK there is a system for ISPs to liaise with each other when
    people want to change; it involves the existing provider issuing a
    "Migration Authorisation Code" (MAC) which the user then gives to the new
    ISP. Then,

    On the day the migration happens, which is usually within 5 to 10 days
    of when you gave your new provider the MAC you may notice your
    broadband stop working for a short period, and then your existing login
    will not work. At this point alter the username and password used by
    your broadband hardware to the one supplied by your new provider.

    <http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/migration.html#243>. Seems to
    work pretty well usually.

    If an ISP is shutting down, they should issue MACs automatically to all
    their users, of course.
    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 26, 2010

  2. Whiskers

    philo Guest

    >> Sheesh
    >>
    >> So I called them and after a half hour or so of asking questions...
    >> the bottom line is that I *cannot* sign up for AT&T DSL if I currently
    >> have a DSL provider. I'll have to let it lapse then sign up.
    >>
    >> They could not tell me how long I'd have to wait to get new service...
    >> they said it might be four days or so.
    >>

    >> Aargh!!!!

    > Here in the UK there is a system for ISPs to liaise with each other when
    > people want to change; it involves the existing provider issuing a
    > "Migration Authorisation Code" (MAC) which the user then gives to the new
    > ISP. Then,
    >
    > On the day the migration happens, which is usually within 5 to 10 days
    > of when you gave your new provider the MAC you may notice your
    > broadband stop working for a short period, and then your existing login
    > will not work. At this point alter the username and password used by
    > your broadband hardware to the one supplied by your new provider.

    The real kicker is...
    my present ISP is merely a sub-provider...so I'm actually using AT&T anyway
    philo, Oct 27, 2010

  3. Whiskers

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 26/10/2010 23:54, Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2010-10-26, philo<> wrote:
    >> My ISP is no longer providing DSL in may area
    >> effective the end of next month.
    >>
    >> No big deal I thought. I have an AT&T land line, I'll just sign up for
    >> AT&T DSL.
    >>
    >> Went to sign up on-line but it's impossible to do if you presently have
    >> DSL. Of course if I didn't have DSL I'd not be able to sign up on-line.
    >>
    >> Sheesh
    >>
    >> So I called them and after a half hour or so of asking questions...
    >> the bottom line is that I *cannot* sign up for AT&T DSL if I currently
    >> have a DSL provider. I'll have to let it lapse then sign up.
    >>
    >> They could not tell me how long I'd have to wait to get new service...
    >> they said it might be four days or so.
    >>

    >> Aargh!!!!

    > Here in the UK there is a system for ISPs to liaise with each other when
    > people want to change; it involves the existing provider issuing a
    > "Migration Authorisation Code" (MAC) which the user then gives to the new
    > ISP. Then,
    >
    > On the day the migration happens, which is usually within 5 to 10 days
    > of when you gave your new provider the MAC you may notice your
    > broadband stop working for a short period, and then your existing login
    > will not work. At this point alter the username and password used by
    > your broadband hardware to the one supplied by your new provider.
    >
    > <http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/migration.html#243>. Seems to
    > work pretty well usually.
    >
    > If an ISP is shutting down, they should issue MACs automatically to all
    > their users, of course.

    I suspect the big difference is that all of the UK exchanges (Apart from
    Hull) are owned and managed by BT and most ISPs buy broadband through BT
    wholesale (LLU excluded). Migration is just a case of switching the
    trunk as the consumer connection equipment remains the same.

    In the USA the situation is clouded I'm guessing by there being more
    than one large telecoms provider. With LLU we are of course heading into
    the same fragmented services nightmare that will cause no end of hassle
    for the poor end user.
    Desk Rabbit, Oct 27, 2010