Re: ISP Cancel Now what?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Meat Plow, Oct 26, 2010.

  1. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:38:26 -0500, philo wrote:

    > My ISP is no longer providing DSL in may area effective the end of next
    > month.
    >
    > No big deal I thought. I have an AT&T land line, I'll just sign up for
    > AT&T DSL.
    >
    > Went to sign up on-line but it's impossible to do if you presently have
    > DSL. Of course if I didn't have DSL I'd not be able to sign up on-line.
    >
    > Sheesh
    >
    > So I called them and after a half hour or so of asking questions... the
    > bottom line is that I *cannot* sign up for AT&T DSL if I currently have
    > a DSL provider. I'll have to let it lapse then sign up.
    >
    > They could not tell me how long I'd have to wait to get new service...
    > they said it might be four days or so.
    >

    > Aargh!!!!

    Yup 4 days sounds about right to switch their DSLAM around and provision
    your line. Sucks.

    Meat Plow, Oct 26, 2010

  2. Meat Plow

    Hot-Text Guest

    My is 411

    Hot-Text, Oct 27, 2010

  3. Meat Plow

    Mike Yetto Guest

    philo <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On 10/26/2010 10:44 PM, Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:38:02 -0500, philo<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yeah
    >>>
    >>> Damn I never knew I was so addicted that a few days without service
    >>> would piss me off
    >>>

    >>> I guess I can deal with it

    >> Certainly you have a... ahem.. local provider of WiFi internet
    >> services - you know, "public" or "Netgear" or "linksys".

    >There is one unsecured network in my wireless range.

    >Which reminds me, one of my neighbors uses their street address as their ID

    Try the phone number as the password.

    Mike "unless they have a dog" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Oct 27, 2010
  4. Meat Plow

    G. Morgan Guest

    philo <> wrote:

    >Damn I never knew I was so addicted that a few days without service
    >would piss me off
    >

    >I guess I can deal with it

    I remember times like that I'd pop in an AOL disk and use it temporarily, then
    cancel before the free hours were up. This was back in the dial-up era of
    course, and I cringed doing it, but it got me thru. :)

    G. Morgan, Oct 27, 2010
  5. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:45:33 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:

    > philo <> wrote:
    >

    >>Damn I never knew I was so addicted that a few days without service
    >>would piss me off
    >>

    >>I guess I can deal with it

    > I remember times like that I'd pop in an AOL disk and use it
    > temporarily, then cancel before the free hours were up. This was back
    > in the dial-up era of course, and I cringed doing it, but it got me
    > thru. :)

    Netzero, provided there is a local number in Marfa TX and he has a modem.

    Meat Plow, Oct 27, 2010