Re: Isolated Ground??

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by jonny bravo, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. jonny bravo

    jonny bravo Guest

    >satellite dish need no protector since it
    > makes that all so critical earth ground connection directly.

    although it doesn't require a ground to work, it is specified that
    satellite dish installation have a direct connection to earth ground...
    nothing like putting a lightening rod on your house and have it directly
    connected
    to your entertainment system...

    Although as an installer I find it pretty useless to use a 10 guage ground
    wire for this purpose... most installers don't even bother, but it is a
    specification...

    --
    Jonny Bravo

    ---

    jonny bravo, Sep 30, 2003

  2. jonny bravo

    BobZilla Guest

    You would be surprised to find out how many installers ignore the ground
    wire. I was a installer for awhile and nearly half of the service calls I
    went on had no grounding or improper grounding. The customers would get very
    upset when I told them that I had figured out the reason their system was
    not working but I will not fix it unless they pay me or someone else to
    correct the ground. I simply refuse to be the last man to work on a system
    that could potentially blow up their TV, cause a fire, or even kill someone.
    It would cost me money because I didn't get paid for the call ( didn't fix
    whatever the problem was) but I feel it was better to loose that call than
    to read about their loss in the papers and find an insurance company
    knocking on my door with a summons to court. --BZ

    BobZilla, Oct 5, 2003

  3. jonny bravo

    BobZilla Guest

    Hello karl,

    I no longer work as dish installer. I eventually got fed up with their
    screwed up billing and pay scale. The customer would be a direct TV customer
    who has purchased some sort of plan from them, they offer many levels of
    service. The company I worked for was Not direct TV and many others are not
    either. They sub-contract all over the country to smaller companies for the
    service calls. In other words you may have one company who installed the
    system and another who gets the service call later when something goes
    wrong. Some of the customers had even purchased the equipment themselves and
    installed it but called us when something wasn't working. The top plan with
    direct TV at the time would cover the cost for me to fix the problem at no
    cost, no matter who installed it but the majority of the customers only had
    the basic plan and got screwed on this. Bottom line was I was not going to
    work on a system unless I could walk away knowing that it was safe. The
    customer was pissed because they had paid someone to install it(and they
    should be) but hey, if im not getting paid to fix it im not going to. I
    would inform them of the problem and explain that it needs to be delt with
    by someone, I didn't make the rules for who covers it. Many installers
    didn't give a SH*T about that, they would just get the system working, get
    paid and move on, but the poor customer never even knew of the problem with
    grounding. I can't do folks like that so I came out looking like the bad guy
    most of the time. I rarely got a thank you for telling them the truth,
    usually a bunch of bitching about why I won't fix it.

    And by the way I have seen fried ground blocks from a hit. The wire was
    still in tact but all the casing was melted, you need to replace all wiring
    after a hit but hey that's better than the alternative. -------BZ

    BobZilla, Oct 6, 2003