Re: ISDN to Voip box

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Bodincus, May 18, 2010.

  1. Bodincus

    Bodincus Guest

    Bodincus, May 18, 2010

  2. In article <>,
    R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:
    >BRI.
    >
    >We want to satellite a small Panasonic PBX off a VOIP box or at least pass
    >the ISDN through.

    I suspect you've a specific reason for this, but my experiences of this
    sort of thing has that it's been easier to simply replace the Panasonic
    with an Asterisk box.

    However you're after a unit that can act as a host rather than a client
    - most of these units are client type units - designed to be plugged
    into the wall-socet rather than power a phone or PBX (I've temporarily
    forgotten the correct terminology) they may be jumperable inside though -
    do read the manuals!

    If your existing VoIP box is asterisk, then most BRI cards can operate
    in originating mode with a jumper

    And again, if it's asterisk, it might be easier to use a channel bank of
    some sort to drive the analogue phones directly and bypass the Panasonic..

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, May 23, 2010

  3. In article <>,
    R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:
    >>>BRI.
    >>>
    >>>We want to satellite a small Panasonic PBX off a VOIP box or at least pass
    >>>the ISDN through.

    >> I suspect you've a specific reason for this, but my experiences of this
    >> sort of thing has that it's been easier to simply replace the Panasonic
    >> with an Asterisk box.

    >The reason is the investement in proprietary Panasonic digital phones -
    >these are fully featured and we don't want to replace them with IP phones at
    >a cost of over £1k (more than the cost of the exchanges).
    >

    >> However you're after a unit that can act as a host rather than a client
    >> - most of these units are client type units - designed to be plugged
    >> into the wall-socet rather than power a phone or PBX (I've temporarily
    >> forgotten the correct terminology) they may be jumperable inside though -
    >> do read the manuals!
    >>
    >> If your existing VoIP box is asterisk, then most BRI cards can operate
    >> in originating mode with a jumper

    >We don't have an existing Voip box - just laid Siemens Gigaset over the top.
    >The phones act as analog extensions and Voip phones, but are not fully
    >integrated with the PBX.

    OK - Undestood now!

    Well in-theory, you can plug a 2-port card into an asterisk box to work
    in-line with the incoming telco line and the existing PBX. Tap-off
    incoming DDIs to ring VoIP phones, pass everything else through. You'd
    probably have to use 'fake' outgoing numbers to ring the VoIP phones
    from the PBX side though.

    I did a proof of concept on this with ISDN30 some time back, but never
    actually put it into practice, but it should have worked, and it seemed
    line others had actually done this according to various mailing list
    postings.

    The down-side with ISDN2e is that you probably have more than one port
    (2 channels) so then the cost of the BRI cards go up - 2 ports would
    need a 4-port card (2 in, 2 out)

    So it might be possible with ISDN2e in your case, but I'm wondering if
    the time & effort involved might not be worth it - not to mention the
    cost of both the BRI cards, PC to run it in and your time to set it up.

    So replace the panasonic ;-)

    Or can it be done the other way? Can the panasonic take a VoIP card? then
    it can drive the phones itself, and maybe even have a trunk to a SIP
    service?

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, May 23, 2010
  4. In article <>,
    R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message

    >> The down-side with ISDN2e is that you probably have more than one port
    >> (2 channels) so then the cost of the BRI cards go up - 2 ports would
    >> need a 4-port card (2 in, 2 out)
    >>
    >> So it might be possible with ISDN2e in your case, but I'm wondering if
    >> the time & effort involved might not be worth it - not to mention the
    >> cost of both the BRI cards, PC to run it in and your time to set it up.

    >The PBX has two BRI ports, so we would retire one BT line and route the
    >other in to the IPPBX.
    >>
    >> So replace the panasonic ;-)

    >Possible.

    It's a shame the handsets are (very likely) proprietary.

    >> Or can it be done the other way? Can the panasonic take a VoIP card? then
    >> it can drive the phones itself, and maybe even have a trunk to a SIP
    >> service?

    >Yes, but there are two problems. It has IP trunk and IP extension cards
    >(boo) and they are very expensive (almost as much as the PBX) and in the
    >case of the extension card might not have a slot to fit in...

    Port the numbers into an ITSP and use one IP Trunk card? A dedicated
    analogue line + ADSL is possibly cheaper to run than 2 ISDN2e's...

    But I bet it's still expensive and licensed on something weird like
    a per channel basis though. (the panasonic "trunk" card I'm on about,
    although some ITSPS make a per-channel charge too - welcome to the world
    of easy VoIP being thwarted by legacy ideas)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, May 24, 2010
  5. Bodincus

    Bodincus Guest

    (24/05/10 17:04), R. Mark Clayton:
    > "Gordon Henderson"<> wrote in message
    >> In article<>,
    >> R. Mark Clayton<> wrote:
    >>>

    > SNIP
    >>
    >>> We don't have an existing Voip box - just laid Siemens Gigaset over the
    >>> top.
    >>> The phones act as analog extensions and Voip phones, but are not fully
    >>> integrated with the PBX.

    >> OK - Undestood now!
    >>
    >> Well in-theory, you can plug a 2-port card into an asterisk box to work
    >> in-line with the incoming telco line and the existing PBX. Tap-off
    >> incoming DDIs to ring VoIP phones, pass everything else through. You'd
    >> probably have to use 'fake' outgoing numbers to ring the VoIP phones
    >> from the PBX side though.
    >>
    >> I did a proof of concept on this with ISDN30 some time back, but never
    >> actually put it into practice, but it should have worked, and it seemed
    >> line others had actually done this according to various mailing list
    >> postings.
    >>
    >> The down-side with ISDN2e is that you probably have more than one port
    >> (2 channels) so then the cost of the BRI cards go up - 2 ports would
    >> need a 4-port card (2 in, 2 out)
    >>
    >> So it might be possible with ISDN2e in your case, but I'm wondering if
    >> the time& effort involved might not be worth it - not to mention the
    >> cost of both the BRI cards, PC to run it in and your time to set it up.

    > The PBX has two BRI ports, so we would retire one BT line and route the
    > other in to the IPPBX.
    >>
    >> So replace the panasonic ;-)

    > Possible.
    >

    >> Or can it be done the other way? Can the panasonic take a VoIP card? then
    >> it can drive the phones itself, and maybe even have a trunk to a SIP
    >> service?

    > Yes, but there are two problems. It has IP trunk and IP extension cards
    > (boo) and they are very expensive (almost as much as the PBX) and in the
    > case of the extension card might not have a slot to fit in...
    >

    >> Gordon

    > Mark

    Sell the legacy PBX and phones! With the loot buy a set of decent IP
    phones and a 2 channel ISDN PRI card, throw a trixbox cd in an old PBX
    you have lying around and Bob's your mother's brother.
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ************************

    Bodincus, May 24, 2010
  6. In article <TdAKn.81074$2>,
    Bodincus <> wrote:

    >Sell the legacy PBX and phones! With the loot buy a set of decent IP
    >phones and a 2 channel ISDN PRI card, throw a trixbox cd in an old PBX
    >you have lying around and Bob's your mother's brother.

    Presume you mean an old PC here ;-)

    But that's intersting idea - I'm about to replace an old Meridian 1 box
    for a client (60 ish extensions, DASS interface) for a client with a
    shiney new asterisk box... Wonder if there's a market for the old one,
    might make it worth my while offering to 'dispose' of it for them ;-)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, May 24, 2010
  7. Bodincus

    Bodincus Guest

    (24/05/10 21:26), Gordon Henderson:
    > In article<TdAKn.81074$2>,
    > Bodincus<> wrote:
    >
    >> Sell the legacy PBX and phones! With the loot buy a set of decent IP
    >> phones and a 2 channel ISDN PRI card, throw a trixbox cd in an old PBX
    >> you have lying around and Bob's your mother's brother.

    > Presume you mean an old PC here ;-)

    Damn spell chucker.

    > But that's intersting idea - I'm about to replace an old Meridian 1 box
    > for a client (60 ish extensions, DASS interface) for a client with a
    > shiney new asterisk box... Wonder if there's a market for the old one,
    > might make it worth my while offering to 'dispose' of it for them ;-)
    >
    > Gordon

    I heard a while ago of a few businesses that /retire/ old-ish PBX and
    phones, they still have a market in developing countries, or as local
    sub-exchanges in rural areas.
    I might have some kind of references somewhere... Borrow me some time.
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ************************

    Bodincus, May 25, 2010
  8. Bodincus

    Bodincus Guest

    (24/05/10 21:26), Gordon Henderson:
    > In article<TdAKn.81074$2>,
    > Bodincus<> wrote:
    >
    >> Sell the legacy PBX and phones! With the loot buy a set of decent IP
    >> phones and a 2 channel ISDN PRI card, throw a trixbox cd in an old PBX
    >> you have lying around and Bob's your mother's brother.

    > Presume you mean an old PC here ;-)
    >
    > But that's intersting idea - I'm about to replace an old Meridian 1 box
    > for a client (60 ish extensions, DASS interface) for a client with a
    > shiney new asterisk box... Wonder if there's a market for the old one,
    > might make it worth my while offering to 'dispose' of it for them ;-)
    >
    > Gordon

    With the current economic climate, the two references I had are not
    there anymore - maybe gone out of business - but try to google for
    "used phone systems dealer", as they sell used systems they might be
    interested in buying from you.
    A solicitor's office PBX with 25 phones I retired when they got my IP
    PBX, sold for £450 two years ago.
    AFAIK Virgin (in ex-Telewest areas) uses Meridian systems for their phones.
    You might get a lot less now, but it's better than a poke in the eye.
    Good luck and let me know how you get on with it.
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid

    Bodincus, May 25, 2010