Re: Is there anyone here still answering questions?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by R. C. White, Sep 10, 2010.

  1. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Valorie.

    I'm here. What's your question?

    After September 12, you'll still find many (most?) of us in this same
    newsgroup on your favorite Usenet news server.

    My ISP includes a news server in my monthly subscriber fee, so I'm covered.
    If I weren't, I'd probably review the messages here were several free
    servers have been recommended. Or I'd Google or Bing for "free news
    server"; last time I tried that I got a few million hits!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3002.0810)) in Win7 Ultimate x64

    "Valorie McLaughlin" wrote in message

    Where is everyone?
    R. C. White, Sep 10, 2010

  2. "R. C. White" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, Valorie.
    >
    > I'm here. What's your question?

    My question regards WindowsMail on my new Windows-7 computer. When I add
    one of our email addresses and try to download new messages..... it starts
    downloading old sent messages, loads of them! Where is the setting for
    downloading only new messages, not sent ones still on the gmail server from
    years ago. Also since they're a secure connection, my anti-virus Avast
    can't scan incoming email. How can I overcome these two problems?

    > After September 12, you'll still find many (most?) of us in this same
    > newsgroup on your favorite Usenet news server.

    Yes, I see one of my NSPs carries these groups. :)

    > My ISP includes a news server in my monthly subscriber fee, so I'm
    > covered. If I weren't, I'd probably review the messages here were several
    > free servers have been recommended. Or I'd Google or Bing for "free news
    > server"; last time I tried that I got a few million hits!

    Some of the free ones are the pits. A few are very good.
    News.eternal-september.org is one of the best. News.datemas.de is another
    good one.

    Valorie McLaughlin, Sep 11, 2010

  3. R. C. White

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 11/09/2010 in message <> Valorie
    McLaughlin wrote:

    >My question regards WindowsMail on my new Windows-7 computer. When I add
    >one of our email addresses and try to download new messages..... it starts
    >downloading old sent messages, loads of them! Where is the setting for
    >downloading only new messages, not sent ones still on the gmail server
    >from years ago. Also since they're a secure connection, my anti-virus
    >Avast can't scan incoming email. How can I overcome these two problems?

    Email programs keep a note of the last date they down-loaded messages. If
    you install a new email program or OS or have a new PC then the program
    will not have stored the date it last collected mail. Couple that with
    leaving mail on the server and when it first collects mail it will get
    everything.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it
    Jeff Gaines, Sep 11, 2010
  4. "R. C. White" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, Valorie.
    >
    >> My question regards WindowsMail on my new Windows-7 computer.

    > Do you mean Windows LIVE Mail?

    Yes, on the new W-7 machine.

    > Windows Mail comes in Vista and won't run on anything else - unless you
    > use an unsupported hack. Win7 comes with NO mail/news program at all, but
    > we can download (for free) and install Windows Live Mail and, optionally,
    > all the other Windows Live Essentials (Photo Gallery, Messenger, etc.).

    "Windows-Live-Mail" (sorry about the confusion) came with my HP PC. It was
    already installed. But when I open it it starts downloading old sent mail
    from the server. :*(

    The WLE
    > website is http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-beta; it offers
    > the latest beta - which I'm running - or you can click the link below the
    > big blue banner to get the non-beta "current version. Or we can install
    > the third-party mail/news client of our choice.

    I'm trying Mozilla Thunderbird but can't understand how to use the filters
    in email. I need to delete at the server everything over 750KBs since we
    can't get fast-internet here. I'll also check out the website above.

    > I don't know anything about Gmail, but others here do, so I'll let them
    > handle that part. All I've used is POP3/SMTP. I tried eternal=september,
    > but I prefer my ISP's news server (Giganews?).

    I heard Giganews was good. :) Gmail is the most reliable email service
    we've had since going online. It allows you to get your email in any mail
    client.

    Valorie McLaughlin, Sep 11, 2010
  5. Re: Is there anyone here stil - Another Question

    "Jeff Gaines" <> wrote in message
    > Email programs keep a note of the last date they down-loaded messages. If
    > you install a new email program or OS or have a new PC then the program
    > will not have stored the date it last collected mail. Couple that with
    > leaving mail on the server and when it first collects mail it will get
    > everything.

    How do I delete them all? There is no "select all" and no way to click and
    loop them. Each one takes about 10 seconds to delete. How do I get rid of
    hundreds of them at once instead of one at a time? How do I select all of
    them at once to delete? What a horrible email client. >:-(
    Valorie McLaughlin, Sep 11, 2010
  6. R. C. White

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    McLaughlin wrote:

    >"Jeff Gaines" <> wrote in message
    >>Email programs keep a note of the last date they down-loaded messages. If
    >>you install a new email program or OS or have a new PC then the program
    >>will not have stored the date it last collected mail. Couple that with
    >>leaving mail on the server and when it first collects mail it will get
    >>everything.

    >How do I delete them all? There is no "select all" and no way to click
    >and loop them. Each one takes about 10 seconds to delete. How do I get
    >rid of hundreds of them at once instead of one at a time? How do I select
    >all of them at once to delete? What a horrible email client. >:-(

    I don't use any free MSFT software, there are much, much better options
    out there. In my email program ("TheBat!" by Ritlabs) I can use normal
    Windows selection techniques like clicking, shift clicking, control+A etc.
    then just press the delete button.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.
    Jeff Gaines, Sep 11, 2010