Re: Is there any kind of business card software...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Apr 4, 2009.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-04-04, Sarah Houston <> wrote:
    > Is there any kind of electronic business card software that not only can
    > collect jpg business cards in a standard size on your computer, but allows
    > you to put code on your web site, so people can take a business card from
    > your web site and add it to their software card box?
    >
    > If there isnt, I bet there's a market for it!

    Investigate "vCard".

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 4, 2009

  2. Whiskers

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 21:16:09 -0500, Sarah Houston wrote:

    > Whiskers <> wrote :
    >
    >> On 2009-04-04, Sarah Houston <> wrote:
    >>> Is there any kind of electronic business card software that not only
    >>> can collect jpg business cards in a standard size on your computer,
    >>> but allows you to put code on your web site, so people can take a
    >>> business card from your web site and add it to their software card
    >>> box?
    >>>
    >>> If there isnt, I bet there's a market for it!

    >> Investigate "vCard".
    >>

    > I stay away from Outlook, have never used it.

    What has Outlook got to do with vCard? The only vCards I've ever received
    have been sent from mobile phones.

    Aardvark, Apr 5, 2009

  3. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-04-05, Sarah Houston <> wrote:
    > Aardvark <> wrote :

    >>> I stay away from Outlook, have never used it.

    >> What has Outlook got to do with vCard? The only vCards I've ever
    >> received have been sent from mobile phones.

    > I looked it up and it said it was for Outlook.

    Look again; it isn't. Outlook may be able to handle vCards, but vCards
    are a standard, generic, public, open, non-proprietary, internet protocol.
    This is one of those occasions when looking something up at Wikipedia
    might be a good place to start <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCard>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 5, 2009
  4. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-04-07, Sarah Houston <> wrote:
    > Whiskers <> wrote :
    >
    >> Look again; it isn't. Outlook may be able to handle vCards, but
    >> vCards are a standard, generic, public, open, non-proprietary,
    >> internet protocol. This is one of those occasions when looking
    >> something up at Wikipedia might be a good place to start
    >> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCard>.
    >>

    > Thanks.
    >
    > I thought it could include graphics, like a scan of my business card, but
    > no?

    A vCard can include a photo and/or a logo. Even a sound clip. As it says
    in the first paragraph of that Wikipedia page.

    Of course you can scan business cards and store the resulting images, or
    attach them to emails, but the advantage of the vCard is that it can be
    sorted and classified easily by computer - so that eg you can find all the
    vCards you have for female plumbers who have business addresses in your
    Mother's area, or all the accountants aged over 60 who use the same email
    program as you do, ...

    > And I searched for software that could make it, but found none.

    I don't know where you looked, but this web search looks promising
    <http://uk.ask.com/web?q=How+Do+I+Make+a+Vcard&dm=all&qsrc=6&o=312&l=dir&siteid=>
    if the links at the end of the Wikipedia page don't help (I think at least
    one of them is to a web page where you can create a vCard for free).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 7, 2009
  5. Whiskers

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 15:23:56 -0500, Sarah Houston
    <> wrote:

    >My main concern is wanting something that some of my clients have and
    >use. Who's ever heard of this Vcard here in the U.S.? Is it a UK thing?

    vCard is worldwide. PDA's use it. E-mail clients use it.

    Evan Platt, Apr 7, 2009
  6. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-04-07, Sarah Houston <> wrote:
    > Whiskers <> wrote :
    >> On 2009-04-07, Sarah Houston <> wrote:
    >>> Whiskers <> wrote :

    [...]

    > My main concern is wanting something that some of my clients have and
    > use. Who's ever heard of this Vcard here in the U.S.? Is it a UK thing?

    It's an international standard, dating back to 1995. I expect it will
    have reached the colonies by now.

    If you want to be able to match whatever it is your clients are using, ask
    them!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 7, 2009
  7. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-04-07, Evan Platt <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 15:23:56 -0500, Sarah Houston
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>My main concern is wanting something that some of my clients have and
    >>use. Who's ever heard of this Vcard here in the U.S.? Is it a UK thing?

    > vCard is worldwide. PDA's use it. E-mail clients use it.

    Noel Coward could have made a song out of that.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 8, 2009
  8. Whiskers

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:25:48 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    >> vCard is worldwide. PDA's use it. E-mail clients use it.

    > Noel Coward could have made a song out of that.

    LOL'even educated fleas use it'. :)

    Aardvark, Apr 8, 2009
  9. Whiskers

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:12:07 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:25:48 +0100, Whiskers wrote:
    >

    >>> vCard is worldwide. PDA's use it. E-mail clients use it.

    >> Noel Coward could have made a song out of that.

    >LOL'even educated fleas use it'. :)

    Even Maurice Chevalier likes it.

    joevan, Apr 8, 2009
  10. Whiskers

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:29:45 -0400, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:12:07 GMT, Aardvark <>
    >wrote:

    >>> Noel Coward could have made a song out of that.

    >>LOL'even educated fleas use it'. :)

    > Even Maurice Chevalier likes it.

    Thank heaven for leetle girls.

    joevan, Apr 8, 2009
  11. Whiskers

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:32:30 -0400, joevan wrote:

    >>>LOL'even educated fleas use it'.

    >> Even Maurice Chevalier likes it.

    > Thank heaven for leetle girls.

    That's 'Sank evvin'.