Re: Is there an "Audacity" for video?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matt Ion, Oct 27, 2008.

  1. Matt Ion

    Matt Ion Guest

    Mxsmanic wrote:
    > I notice that my little digital camera can produce short video clips.
    > Unfortunately, it produces them all in QuickTime format, a proprietary format
    > that not everyone can read. Is there a freeware program similar to the
    > Audacity program for audio that can do simple editing of video files (changing
    > formats, cutting and pasting, things like that--although just changing formats
    > would suffice for me)?

    Almost nobody can claim they can't read QuickTime, as the codec is
    freely available from Apple, and versions are out there for just about
    every version of Windows and MacOS ever, as well as Linux and most other
    *nix variants. Once it's installed, pretty much any editing program can
    use it to at least READ the video in, and most will allow you to save to
    QT as well.

    Enter Windows Movie Maker, which is included with WinXP SP2 and later
    versions of Windows. You can't export to QT, but you can read the
    files, edit and combine them, and then export to one of several other
    formats supported (particularly WMV, which is "more proprietary" than QT).

    Matt Ion, Oct 27, 2008