Re: Is the Advantage Shifting from Seller to Buyer?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Coyote, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Coyote

    Coyote Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:47:46 +0100, "Ian Gunn"
    <> wrote:

    >"Tabernacle" <> wrote in message
    >> After puchasing more DVD's in the last 6 weeks than I had in the
    >> previous 6 months combined (at a far far cheaper price per dvd as
    >> well) I am starting to wonder if the supply on most of the titles out
    >> there is now greater than the demand?
    >>
    >> As for example I am seeing demand for most of the offerings on Ebay
    >> slack off BIGTIME, as this past weekend(rained like hell) I spent
    >> tooling around Ebay (looking for one or two of the two dozen plus hard
    >> to find titles I want), and I noticed that a lot of what people had to
    >> offer was either not even being bid on (saw thousandss of offering go
    >> down without even one bid as the asking price was way to high) or in
    >> most cases when a bid was made on it it was so under the Buy it Now
    >> price that on four of the DVDs I was bidding on myself that weekend
    >> the seller simply shut it down (one with as little as 9 minutes to go)
    >> as all he was getting was like a $1.25 bid on a $12.99 item.
    >>
    >> Frankly I am now getting somewhat concerned when I purchase any high
    >> price DVD lately that I am then going to see it a month or 6 weeks
    >> later going at half the price or less than what I paid for it that I
    >> think I am starting to come down with Waitandseeitis!

    >Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's spotted this. Loads of classic
    >old dvd's that used to be full-price are now going for silly money. It's
    >getting hard to stop myself...
    >
    >Tom.

    I myself am getting somewhat less on eBay for DVDs now, and for the
    most part they're decent titles.

    --
    Coyote

    To reply by email, it's .
    Coyote, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Coyote

    Guest

    > >Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's spotted this. Loads of classic
    > >old dvd's that used to be full-price are now going for silly money. It's
    > >getting hard to stop myself...
    > >

    > I myself am getting somewhat less on eBay for DVDs now, and for the
    > most part they're decent titles.

    My experience from both sides. I have recent bought "Catch Me If You
    Can" for $7 on EBAY, and several other big name older titles for
    about $12-$14 each. Then I discovered that many of the ones that I
    bought were available at WalMart for $10 or less. This accounts for
    part of the price drop. Sometimes their bargain bin of $6 DVDs has
    good titles.

    I then tried buying some of the cheap DVDs at Walmart and selling
    those. I ended up with a small profit, but not that worthwhile. Only
    a few of the movies made money, and most were close to breakeven.
    , Jul 21, 2003

  3. Coyote

    Guest

    I wonder if illegal copies on EBAY are boosting the supply enough to
    lower the price. I sometimes see poeple selling the same thing over
    and over, and wonder if they bought a big carton from a wholesaler, or
    if they are copying the DVDs themselves.
    , Jul 21, 2003