    Michael Meissner
    email:
    http://www.the-meissners.org
    Michael Meissner, Aug 19, 2003

  2. Wouldn't that depend on the quality of the CCD and the method
    that they are placed on the CCD? I mean, couldn't certain
    methods and combinations from one MFG be better and more accurate
    and more precise than others?

    Paul D. Sullivan, Aug 19, 2003

  3. "Paul D. Sullivan" <> wrote in message news:<zPk0b.12234$>...
    > Wouldn't that depend on the quality of the CCD and the method
    > that they are placed on the CCD? I mean, couldn't certain
    > methods and combinations from one MFG be better and more accurate
    > and more precise than others?

    Yes, but reality is that 80% of the cameras out there use either Sony
    or Fuji CCD sensors of the same type and size.

    the rest uses Kodak or their own (in case of Nikon or Canon digital
    SLR)

    The software makes the difference, more precisely the specific
    implementation of the Bayer algorithm. The RAW output should be very
    similar only influenced by lens quality and exposure accuracy.

    Regarding noise, there are phyiscal limitation... the smaller the
    sensor size and the higher pixel density, the higher the noise...
    larger sensors have more space between the pixels and therefore
    (generally speaking) less noise. We have yet so see technology that
    handles these limitations.
    Bernhard Mayer, Aug 20, 2003