Re: Is spell checking ever going to be fixed for 64 bit OE?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by P Rowell, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. P Rowell

    P Rowell Guest

    Hi Wayne

    Thank you for your OE fix, it worked first time

    My new computer came with a 32bit programs area, but the program i
    there was the 64bit version so I copied the folder from my laptop

    It's a bit naughty that Microsoft do not suggest this fix on their we
    site. I think it's a ploy to get us to fork out more cash for thei
    64bit office suite

    I'm also suprised that other forums have not discovered this fix

    Regard

    Pau
    ---------------------

    --
    P Rowel
    P Rowell's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=114

    P Rowell, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Hello Paul
    This is an extremely bad thing to do which is why it is not recommended.
    Outlook Express will be prone to crashing if you attempt to run to run the
    32-bit version, you may lose information in open messages when you attempt
    this.
    You really should not be doing this.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: P Rowell <>
    <Subject: Re: Is spell checking ever going to be fixed for 64 bit OE?
    <Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:51:34 +0100
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <
    Hi Wayne,

    Thank you for your OE fix, it worked first time.

    My new computer came with a 32bit programs area, but the program in
    there was the 64bit version so I copied the folder from my laptop.

    It's a bit naughty that Microsoft do not suggest this fix on their web
    site. I think it's a ploy to get us to fork out more cash for their
    64bit office suite.

    I'm also suprised that other forums have not discovered this fix.

    Regards

    Paul
    ----------------------

    --
    P Rowell
    P Rowell's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1144

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 15, 2005

  3. P Rowell

    P Rowell Guest

    Hi Darrell

    No problems so far and no crashes

    Until MS pull their finger out and fix this problem I have no optio
    other than to use this method. My Office Software is 32bit so can't se
    what the problem is

    I refuse to be forced into buying a new Office suite when my curren
    one is more than sufficiant to my needs

    Regard

    Paul

    P Rowell, Aug 16, 2005
  4. P Rowell

    Don Awalt Guest

    Why is running OE 32 bit such a risk? I thought typical apps ran fine under
    x64, it was drivers that were the issue?

    Don Awalt, Aug 19, 2005
  5. Hello Don,
    It's the existence of both 32-bit OE and 64-bit OE that is the problem, not
    32-bit OE by itself.
    They cannot both be running at the same time. So the choice was made to
    have 64-bit OE rather than 32-bit OE, so the entry points are now using
    64-bit OE.
    Since virtually all of the access points to OE in the system are using
    64-bit OE, you would be likely to run into issues when running 32-bit
    Outlook Express.
    So if you start 32-bit OE and then 64-bit OE starts, OE will fault and
    shutdown closing all OE Windows.
    If are are start 64-bit OE then 32-bit OE is started, OE will fault and
    shutdown all OE Windows.
    So if you are running 32-bit OE, you have to be careful about what you are
    doing that may call 64-bit OE.
    So this would mean not doing file-send from applications if OE was the
    default mail client.
    This would mean not clicking mailto: links to send a message if OE was the
    default email client.
    File associations associated with OE would start with 64-bit OE, so they
    should not run.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Don Awalt" <>
    <Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:29:10 -0400
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Why is running OE 32 bit such a risk? I thought typical apps ran fine
    under
    <x64, it was drivers that were the issue?
    <
    <
    <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <> wrote in message
    <> Hello Paul
    <> This is an extremely bad thing to do which is why it is not recommended.
    <> Outlook Express will be prone to crashing if you attempt to run to run
    the
    <> 32-bit version, you may lose information in open messages when you
    attempt
    <> this.
    <> You really should not be doing this.
    <> Thanks,
    <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <>
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: P Rowell <>
    <> <Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:51:34 +0100
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <
    <> Hi Wayne,
    <>
    <> Thank you for your OE fix, it worked first time.
    <>
    <> My new computer came with a 32bit programs area, but the program in
    <> there was the 64bit version so I copied the folder from my laptop.
    <>
    <> It's a bit naughty that Microsoft do not suggest this fix on their web
    <> site. I think it's a ploy to get us to fork out more cash for their
    <> 64bit office suite.
    <>
    <> I'm also suprised that other forums have not discovered this fix.
    <>
    <> Regards
    <>
    <> Paul
    <> ----------------------
    <>
    <> Wayne Wastier Wrote:
    <>> "Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
    <>> > Hello Wayne,
    <>> > This goes back to a 32-bit program cannot load a 64-bit dll or rather
    <>> > a 64-bit program cannot load a 32-bit dll.
    <>> > Since Office ships 32-bit only and makes it's spell checker available
    <>> > to the system, it is only making it available to 32-bit programs.
    <>> > Since OE is only 64-bit, spell checking is not an option until a
    <>> > 64-bit spell-checking dll is available.
    <>> > 64-bit Office should supply a 64-bit spell-checking dll so 64-bit
    <>> > applications that use system offered spell checkers will be able to
    <>> > spell check.
    <>> > Thanks,
    <>> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <>> >
    <>>
    <>> Thank you Darrell. I found a work around for this. Just copy the
    <>> Outlook
    <>> Express directory from an XP 32 bit directory to a CD. Then create a
    <>> directory in Program Files(x86) on your XP x64 computer named anything
    <>> but
    <>> Outlook Express, say .. OE 32bit. Then create a shortcut on the desktop
    <>> it, and there you go. Now spell check works again. <g>
    <>>
    <>>
    <>> Wayne
    <>
    <>
    <> --
    <> P Rowell

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 19, 2005
  6. P Rowell

    Don Awalt Guest

    That makes total sense - thanks for the explanation!

    Don Awalt, Aug 19, 2005