Re: Is Rita Berkowitz

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mr.T, Jul 1, 2008.

  1. Mr.T

    Mr.T Guest

    "William E. Graham" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Shark is similar to swoardfish in that it has no bones, and makes great
    > steaks for the BBQ when cut crossways, like you do with halibut.....

    School Shark and Gummy Shark is the most common "fish" sold in Australian
    take-away fish shops for the last half a century or more.
    I don't know anyone who hates it, other than people who don't eat ANY
    seafood.
    However the popularity of all larger seafood species is on the wane due to
    increasing levels of toxic chemicals. Shorter lived, or deep sea species
    tend to have less.
    Of course many people do prefer something else in restaurants, or when
    cooking for themselves, in any case.

    MrT.
    Mr.T, Jul 1, 2008

  2. Mr.T

    Mr.T Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Seems like I learned some time ago that one kind of shark is punched
    > out and the pellets were sold as "scallops". There is some "crab" and
    > some "lobster" that is seafood-like paste pureed, pressed, and
    > sprinkled with lobster-color dye. Mmmmm mmm.

    Used to be called "crab meat" in Australia until Consumer affairs cracked
    down. Now it must be called "seafood" meat, which can be any type of minced
    seafood. Just like sausages and "meat" pies bear no relationship to fillet
    steak either, neither does the price.
    As long as you know what you are paying for I don't see a problem. What
    really worries me however is the total lack of testing for toxic chemicals,
    diseases, bacteria, parasites etc. Fish from China, Thailand and Vietnam
    especially, but not exclusively.

    >You never know what you
    > are getting unless at some point you can see it looking back at you.

    Even then you have no idea what it may contain that could harm you.
    Once upon a time we had real health inspectors and real food safety
    standards. Now it's just considered too hard, or too expensive.

    MrT.
    Mr.T, Jul 2, 2008

  3. In rec.photo.digital Mr.T <MrT@home> wrote:

    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    >> Seems like I learned some time ago that one kind of shark is punched
    >> out and the pellets were sold as "scallops". There is some "crab" and
    >> some "lobster" that is seafood-like paste pureed, pressed, and
    >> sprinkled with lobster-color dye. Mmmmm mmm.

    > Used to be called "crab meat" in Australia until Consumer affairs cracked
    > down. Now it must be called "seafood" meat, which can be any type of minced
    > seafood. Just like sausages and "meat" pies bear no relationship to fillet
    > steak either, neither does the price.
    > As long as you know what you are paying for I don't see a problem. What
    > really worries me however is the total lack of testing for toxic chemicals,
    > diseases, bacteria, parasites etc. Fish from China, Thailand and Vietnam
    > especially, but not exclusively.

    >>You never know what you
    >> are getting unless at some point you can see it looking back at you.

    > Even then you have no idea what it may contain that could harm you.
    > Once upon a time we had real health inspectors and real food safety
    > standards. Now it's just considered too hard, or too expensive.

    Or interferes too much with the sacred right to make a profit for your
    shareholders. Enforcing legislation to stop people being poisoned is
    bad for business.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]