Re: Is Nufone going out of business???

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Kyler Laird, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    > If so, I hate to say it, but they need a better site design and a better
    > way to accept payments. With something like *that* up, and with
    > verbiage like:
    >
    > "Until we can launch our automated signup system, you can paypal sales @
    > nufone.net a username and secret you wish to use or call xxx-xxx-xxxx or
    > xxx-xxx-xxxx to manually debit your credit card."

    I'm often told not to judge a company by their Web pages and business
    practices. Still seems like a good indication though.

    I have a friend who is *very* knowledgeable about VoIP who has strongly
    recommended Nufone every time we've talked about PSTN interconnects over
    the past year or so. I finally got my system up this week and decided
    to get a provider so I asked him once more for suggestions. Again, his
    regard for Nufone was much higher than for any others.

    So I replied to an old message from Nufone's Jeremy McNamara in which he
    said I could just call and set up credit card payment over the phone.
    (It was just after 5:00 and no one answered when I called.) I gave my
    contact info so that he could call me whenever was convenient.

    I didn't hear from him today so when I had a break I finally called. I
    was a little disappointed by the automatic phone handling but it seemed
    o.k. Then I got a sales person (I guess.). That's when it fell apart.

    First, I was struck by how horrible the audio was. Whenever the person
    spoke there were audio cuts at about 3Hz. It was really annoying but I
    tried to be patient and give him all of the info he needed.

    Finally he ran my Visa card. No go. Did I have the address right?
    Try again. That is no simple task; he had to cut and paste all of my
    information into a new form. Nope, my address still doesn't match the
    one on file. I grab a statement and read the address from it. More
    cutting and pasting. He tries again and it still fails. My only other
    card is Discover but they don't take that so it's game over.

    Reluctantly I signed up with VoicePulse. Easy. Unfortunately I am
    getting errors about everything being busy so I haven't been able to
    use them. My view of VoIP is dim.

    Then I get a message from...me? It's a copy of the message I'd sent
    saying that I'd like to open an account at Nufone. There's no other
    text to it, just my message as I sent it. Looking at the headers, I
    see some indication that it's a ticket handling system that just shot
    it at me.
    From: " via RT" <>
    Sender: Apache <>

    I know how hard it can be to set up a ticket system so I decided to
    respond to tell them what happened but not to worry about responding
    because I've already moved on to VoicePulse (and I wished them luck
    because I still hoped to try them again someday). That's when it got
    weird.

    Jeremy responded and seemed confused about the message to which I was
    referring (which had been bounced to me). He also said "When
    voicepulse goes down for another week, you will change your mind." I
    know VoicePulse stinks and I'm not expecting much from it but that
    just seemed unprofessional.

    O.k., because he's been good to a friend of mine, I decided to go
    ahead and try to explain what happened. I just fell in deeper. For
    explaining that the message came to me as I'd sent it (with minor
    changes to the headers), I got
    That was our system closing out that trouble ticket due to inactivity.
    The top of the message shows the state change.

    The inactivity was theirs. I sent it the day before and they did
    nothing about it so they sent it back to me?! Also, the message had
    *no* indication of "state change."

    Worse, I got this.
    As our website states you can paypal or call
    248-724-VoIP to debit your credit card. If someone does not answer the
    phone number it is customary for you to leave your name and contact
    information so that someone can call you back.
    So, after leaving my name and contact information (including telephone
    number) with them for a day, I get grief for not doing it?

    Ug. I sure hope someone comes along with better VoIP and customer
    service. I'd be willing to deal with the demeanor of Nufone if they
    could provide good technical service but after hearing their own
    system I have significant doubts.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Kyler Laird <> writes:
    > Ug. I sure hope someone comes along with better VoIP and customer
    > service.

    I tried broadvoice for two weeks with their BYOD offering. Shortly
    after signing up with them they tightened their security and asterisk
    failed to register reliably.

    All I want is a way to tie into the PSTN digitally without paying
    Pacbell an arm and a leg to get their ISDN.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 19, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <> wrote:

    >Kyler Laird <> writes:
    >> Ug. I sure hope someone comes along with better VoIP and customer
    >> service.

    >I tried broadvoice for two weeks with their BYOD offering. Shortly
    >after signing up with them they tightened their security and asterisk
    >failed to register reliably.
    >
    >All I want is a way to tie into the PSTN digitally without paying
    >Pacbell an arm and a leg to get their ISDN.

    Broadvoice had no security in their early days, but now their
    security is not what I would call "tight" in the sense of making it
    hard to use. Standard SIP AUTH with digest authentication, Asterisk
    should be able to handle it easily.

    I give Broadvoice excellent marks for being one of the few services
    to let you use Generic SIP equipment to make and receive calls, and I
    have found their call quality to be quite good with low latency. I had
    some initial problems calling Canada but it has been fine in recent
    tests.

    If you get a Sipura from Broadvoice, it will come locked but you can
    buy your own Sipura or other phone from a store and use it with them,
    and control it all yourself, or even use custom software as I have
    been doing, so Asterisk should adapt well.
    --
    Visit my blog, "Brad Ideas" -- http://ideas.4brad.com

    Brad Templeton, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    Update on the Jeremy McNamara situation... After I sent him a full
    copy of the message (with headers) his system bounced to me (which
    he claimed was tagged with a "status change" from their ticket
    system), he claimed that I sent the message that I received. Uh,
    yeah. I like to pretend to be "Apache <>" and
    give my messages IDs like
    "<>".

    There's something very wrong at Nufone.

    Then again, I'm still timing out trying to use my new VoicePulse
    account. And my IAXy requires a few power cycles almost every time
    I use it. Maybe this is just a growth stage for VoIP where we
    should expect everything to be broken.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <> writes:

    >I tried broadvoice for two weeks with their BYOD offering. Shortly
    >after signing up with them they tightened their security and asterisk
    >failed to register reliably.

    That's good to know. They were next on my list.

    >All I want is a way to tie into the PSTN digitally without paying
    >Pacbell an arm and a leg to get their ISDN.

    Heck, I'd settle for an analog interface right now but Verizon claims
    that disconnect supervision doesn't exist.

    It's been quite an education to finally dip my foot in the VoIP pool.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Aug 19, 2004
  6. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    O.k., I'm done. I was hoping that Mr. McNamara was just confused
    but it seems that he's just not the kind of person with whom I'd
    want to do business. I have a real difficulty believing that
    someone who can be so distasteful in his ignorance with mail
    headers can provide the VoIP service I expect.

    Because he's been appreciative of my messages here, I'll post his
    last one to try to help others considering his service.

    --kyler

    From Thu Aug 19 15:34:27 2004
    From Thu Aug 19 15:34:27 2004
    Subject: Re: [nufone.net #1721] VoIP capabilities
    To:
    From: "Jeremy McNamara via RT" <>
    Sender: Apache <>
    Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:34:19 -0500

    via RT wrote:

    > I think I'm well beyond being a potential customer now and I've gone as
    > far as I want to go simply in kindness for the service you've provided
    > for my friend. I'm only continuing because I think it's amazing how far
    > you're willing to twist to avoid taking the information that I was
    > trying to provide to help you.

    Help me? You have not helped us at all, well other than drive more
    customers at us with your public complaints. So far I've had 5 people
    mention your newsgroup post and then express their surprise when their
    service works and was setup so quickly.

    As I have already told you our service is pre-paid.. We are not a bank
    and do not extend credit.

    The fact remains that Greg could not debit your credit card due to an
    AVS mismatch. If you would have provided the proper information for your
    credit card you would have been a paying customer and already making calls.

    > On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 12:08:44AM -0500, Jeremy McNamara via RT wrote:
    >

    >>That email is from you
    >>
    >>From: " via RT"
    >>RT-Originator:

    > Yes, it's a message that certainly looks like it was from me. It
    > puzzled me at first. It took me awhile to figure out that your "RT"
    > system sent it. That should be obvious from the following headers.

    Sure it is very obvious, it is from you
    From: " via RT"

    If you look at my messages it will say From: " via RT"

    >>> Managed-BY: RT 3.0.9 (http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/)
    >>> From: " via RT"
    >>> <>
    >>> Sender: Apache <>

    > Ticket systems are a pain to set up and I was interested in providing
    > some feedback to assist you in configuring yours.

    You have a very strange way of offering your services, that's for sure.

    Jeremy McNamara

    Kyler Laird, Aug 19, 2004
  7. Kyler Laird <> writes:
    > "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <> writes:
    > >I tried broadvoice for two weeks with their BYOD offering. Shortly
    > >after signing up with them they tightened their security and asterisk
    > >failed to register reliably.

    > That's good to know. They were next on my list.

    Well, it did seem like their heart was in the right place. I wish
    them well, and I suspect they will do well in the long run.

    > >All I want is a way to tie into the PSTN digitally without paying
    > >Pacbell an arm and a leg to get their ISDN.

    > Heck, I'd settle for an analog interface right now but Verizon claims
    > that disconnect supervision doesn't exist.

    I have a Sipura-3000 on my pots line. Supervision seems to work just
    fine in my part of the world (former Pacbell, San Francisco Bay Area
    in the (510) 659-XXXX exchange). The Sipura can detect battery
    reversal as well as CPC battery removal. I'm impressed with the info
    the Sipura does provide. (Notice the "Last PSTN Disconnect Reason".)

    PSTN Line Status
    Hook State: On
    Loop Current: 0.0 (mA)
    Last Registration At: 8/19/2004 08:55:51
    Last Called VoIP Number:
    Last VoIP Caller:
    Last PSTN Disconnect Reason: CPC Signal

    Line Voltage: 46 (V)
    Registration State: Registered
    Next Registration In: 2 s
    Last Called PSTN Number: 12005551212
    Last PSTN Caller: John Doe, 2005551212
    PSTN Activity Timer: 30000 (ms)

    The part that doesn't work so fine is the incoming volume and delay.
    It is very hard to hear the other party when the call is routed to a
    Grandstream Bugtome 100. Bumping the incoming gain on the PSTN side
    by +12db from the config menu mostly fixes the volume problem, but
    leads to horrendous echo.

    > It's been quite an education to finally dip my foot in the VoIP pool.

    Same here! And it all started out because I needed to replace a
    failing answering machine and thought "Gee, shouldn't I try to have my
    computer do this?" I never thought it would be this involved.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 19, 2004
  8. (Brad Templeton) writes:
    > Broadvoice had no security in their early days, but now their
    > security is not what I would call "tight" in the sense of making it
    > hard to use. Standard SIP AUTH with digest authentication, Asterisk
    > should be able to handle it easily.

    In theory asterisk should have worked just fine. In practice it
    failed miserably. Asterisk is still very rickety and is missing large
    sections of code. One thing it is missing is any logic to loop over
    multiple DNS A-records or multiple SRV _sip._upd.example.com. It
    simply chooses the first one and sticks with it until restarted or
    reloaded. Since bind9 will round-robbin I saw asterisk more or less
    toggle between proxy.lax.broadvoice.com and proxy.dca.broadvoice.com
    (names from memory). The LAX proxy got along just fine with asterisk.
    The DCA one just refused to get it on. In addition, I didn't really
    want asterisk to register with or forward packets to the DCA one
    anyway. It was a continent and 124ms away, while the LAX one was only
    40ms away.)

    And no, I saw nothing very unusual about the sip packets asterisk sent
    to the DCA proxy. They looked fine to my untrained eye. Asterisk did
    seem to do the MD5 auth when challenged. I'm not sure what the DCA
    proxy was objecting to.

    > I give Broadvoice excellent marks for being one of the few services
    > to let you use Generic SIP equipment to make and receive calls, and I
    > have found their call quality to be quite good with low latency. I had
    > some initial problems calling Canada but it has been fine in recent
    > tests.

    Can you tell if the Sipura tested both proxies and then latched onto
    the closer one?

    -wolfgang
    asterisk patches for openbsd-current/amd64
    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ftp/asterisk-openbsd35.patch

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 19, 2004
  9. Kyler Laird

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Kyler Laird wrote:

    >>If so, I hate to say it, but they need a better site design and a better
    >>way to accept payments. With something like *that* up, and with
    >>verbiage like:
    >>
    >>"Until we can launch our automated signup system, you can paypal sales @
    >>nufone.net a username and secret you wish to use or call xxx-xxx-xxxx or
    >>xxx-xxx-xxxx to manually debit your credit card."

    > I'm often told not to judge a company by their Web pages and business
    > practices. Still seems like a good indication though.

    You're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, that's true. However
    a business generally will make an effort to put forth a good face if it
    intends to attracts and keep customers, whether that business is good OR
    bad. If they can't do that, then you have to question their effort in
    other departments.

    [snip]
    > Reluctantly I signed up with VoicePulse. Easy. Unfortunately I am
    > getting errors about everything being busy so I haven't been able to
    > use them. My view of VoIP is dim.

    Well, I wouldn't judge based on just two companies. Vonage has been
    good to me, though Packet8 looks like they'll be better, so I'm in the
    process of switching to them now. we'll see how that goes. :)

    [snip]
    > Jeremy responded and seemed confused about the message to which I was
    > referring (which had been bounced to me). He also said "When
    > voicepulse goes down for another week, you will change your mind." I
    > know VoicePulse stinks and I'm not expecting much from it but that
    > just seemed unprofessional.

    I agree. It's good business to talk up your service... it's bad
    business to talk trash about competitors, no matter how justified.

    > The inactivity was theirs. I sent it the day before and they did
    > nothing about it so they sent it back to me?! Also, the message had
    > *no* indication of "state change."
    >
    > Worse, I got this.
    > As our website states you can paypal or call
    > 248-724-VoIP to debit your credit card. If someone does not answer the
    > phone number it is customary for you to leave your name and contact
    > information so that someone can call you back.
    > So, after leaving my name and contact information (including telephone
    > number) with them for a day, I get grief for not doing it?

    Not only that, but this "Jeremy" decides to school you on phone
    etiquette? Nice.

    > Ug. I sure hope someone comes along with better VoIP and customer
    > service. I'd be willing to deal with the demeanor of Nufone if they
    > could provide good technical service but after hearing their own
    > system I have significant doubts.

    Unfortuantely, it seems like this is par for the course when people
    adopt bleeding edge technology. Lots of companies, a few of which do
    things right, while a vast majority of startups wanting in doing things
    very, very wrongly. Eventually, there will be a shakeout. Let's just
    hope we're not all on the losing end of that.

    Isaiah Beard, Aug 19, 2004
  10. Kyler Laird <> writes:
    > Because he's been appreciative of my messages here, I'll post his
    > last one to try to help others considering his service.

    > by lairds.us with esmtp (Exim 4.34)
    > id 1Bxovo-0002WM-7Q
    > for ; Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:34:27 +0000

    Mail from unknown[66.225.202.81]??? Ack. Jeremy needs to fire his DNS
    admin.

    $ host 66.225.202.81
    81.202.225.66.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unknown.ord.scnet.net.
    (unknown.ord.scnet.net is, as implied, bogus with no such name found
    in DNS.)

    http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=scnet.net

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 19, 2004
  11. Kyler Laird

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Yeaaah, crossing NuFone off my list of companies to try. :)

    And no Mr. McNamara, it wasn't the OP that swayed my decision, it was
    your very own words.

    Isaiah Beard, Aug 19, 2004
  12. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    Sipura SPA-3000 (was Re: Is Nufone going out of business???)

    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <> writes:

    >I have a Sipura-3000 on my pots line.

    Oh! Oh! I want more info. I've been really disappointed by my
    Digium IAXy. I'd like to find something more capable which doesn't
    require frequent rebooting.

    I want to find an FXS or FXS/FXO solution that I can configure
    and then send to family members and business associates. I don't
    want to worry about the devices being put on public networks and
    then hacked to pieces.

    It looks like the SPA-3000 provides secure provisioning (with
    authentication and encryption). That's a great start. I'm also
    interested in encrypted voice communications. The brochure says
    something about "Secure RTP". Does that work with Asterisk? I
    have seen requests for it but no responses.

    Would you recommend an SPA-3000 as something you could configure
    and send to someone as a "plug and play" solution?

    Thank you.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Aug 19, 2004
  13. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    I found an IAX provider! (was Re: Is Nufone going out of business???)

    Isaiah Beard <> writes:

    >Yeaaah, crossing NuFone off my list of companies to try. :)

    After the glowing reviews of Nufone from my friend, I was really
    frustrated by their attitude and ineptitude. I'm feeling *much*
    better now. Why? I found what appears to be a *wonderful* IAX
    provider.

    After writing my friend about my disappointment with Nufone and
    VoicePulse, the only IAX providers I knew, he mentioned Gafachi.
    https://www.gafachi.com/

    My first impression of Gafachi was that they really concentrate
    on providing information. They don't have the polish of
    VoicePulse (not a bad thing to me); instead they provide what's
    needed.

    I started filling in their "Sign Up!" form...and I just kept
    going. So often (like with VoicePulse) I get stopped because
    they want to do something stupid with JavaScript or cookies and
    I have to switch to another browser. Nope, not Gafachi. Within
    moments I was looking at the SIP, IAX, and IAX2 settings to use
    for my account. (Yes, I used the same Visa card that Nufone had
    taken such pains to refuse.)

    Getting to that point was amazing enough but I'd gotten there
    with VoicePulse. Would this one work? Try some settings...I'm
    still not good at this, it took me a minute. Make a call. No
    go. Stick the password in the dial string (as they show on
    their Asterisk example page). Call again. My phone is ringing!
    Wow! That's an exciting moment.

    Now back to the Web. The registration procedure left me at a
    page that showed my minutes used (0). Reload. Bam! There it
    is, a full log (time, called number, duration, cost, rate
    classifier, area) of the call just like I expected. I called
    my wife but got her voicemail. It sounded good but I have yet
    to hear from anyone how I sound.

    Anyway, I am *thrilled* to find Gafachi. I don't know if they
    will provide consistently competent technical service (like
    I'm told Nufone does) but this is a fantastic start.

    Hmmm...I see that they offer DID lines. Now to learn more...

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Aug 19, 2004
  14. Re: Sipura SPA-3000 (was Re: Is Nufone going out of business???)

    Kyler Laird <> writes:
    > Oh! Oh! I want more info. I've been really disappointed by my
    > Digium IAXy. I'd like to find something more capable which doesn't
    > require frequent rebooting.

    I haven't been forced to reboot my Sipura-3000 yet. Thats already
    infinitely better than my two Budgetone's.

    If you want to peek at the user manual you can grab the .pdf from here:

    http://www.sipura.com/support/index.htm

    > I want to find an FXS or FXS/FXO solution that I can configure
    > and then send to family members and business associates. I don't
    > want to worry about the devices being put on public networks and
    > then hacked to pieces.

    I'm hoping that they were careful enough with the buffer overflow
    checks. The fact that it doesn't seem to crash is a good sign. I was
    planning to eventually move my sipura outside my firewall so that I
    could do a sip reinvite and eliminate a bit of extra delay.

    > It looks like the SPA-3000 provides secure provisioning (with
    > authentication and encryption). That's a great start. I'm also
    > interested in encrypted voice communications. The brochure says
    > something about "Secure RTP". Does that work with Asterisk? I
    > have seen requests for it but no responses.

    I haven't been able to find enough information on how to generate the
    x509 "mini-certificate" that is needed. In fact, google comes up
    pretty dry for "mini-certificate".

    > Would you recommend an SPA-3000 as something you could configure
    > and send to someone as a "plug and play" solution?

    My only reservation would be with NAT. If the person you send the
    sipura to hides behind a NAT and/or firewall, things could get messy.

    I have heard of something call an STUN server you can run to help the
    NAT-ed box figure out its outgoing address and port number, but I have
    no experience with setting one up or how well it works in practice.

    -wolfgang
    New toy: Voice over ip phone. Sounds much better than an analog phone.
    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/voip.html

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 19, 2004
  15. In article <>,
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <> wrote:

    >Can you tell if the Sipura tested both proxies and then latched onto
    >the closer one?

    My earlier tests were with my Grandstream phone, and with my own
    custom SIP software which does not try different proxies. I have not
    put a sniffer on the sipura as yet.

    On the other hand I have made a cordless, battery powered phone with
    a Sipura and a wifi bridge!
    --
    Giant Burning Man Panoramas
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn.html

    Brad Templeton, Aug 20, 2004
  16. (Brad Templeton) writes:
    > My earlier tests were with my Grandstream phone, and with my own
    > custom SIP software which does not try different proxies. I have not
    > put a sniffer on the sipura as yet.

    Just out of curiosity, do you have any feelings on how to choose a sip
    proxy?

    I'm leaning towards ignoring the priority value that the given in the
    SRV record and instead choosing the proxy by delay (ping or some sip
    NOP command) response time.

    > On the other hand I have made a cordless, battery powered phone with
    > a Sipura and a wifi bridge!

    That sounds like a great hack.

    I'm still waiting for the zyxel wifi voip phone to drop in price a bit
    before I jump in.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 20, 2004
  17. In article <>,
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <> wrote:

    > (Brad Templeton) writes:
    >> My earlier tests were with my Grandstream phone, and with my own
    >> custom SIP software which does not try different proxies. I have not
    >> put a sniffer on the sipura as yet.

    >Just out of curiosity, do you have any feelings on how to choose a sip
    >proxy?
    >
    >I'm leaning towards ignoring the priority value that the given in the
    >SRV record and instead choosing the proxy by delay (ping or some sip
    >NOP command) response time.

    Well, if the Proxies are going to want to load balance this is not going
    to scale. It might make more sense for proxies to test their
    connectivity to you (or even trust your statement about it) and then
    choose, but still have the power to load balance, since they know a lot
    more than you about that.

    >> On the other hand I have made a cordless, battery powered phone with
    >> a Sipura and a wifi bridge!

    >That sounds like a great hack.

    It's going to be a SIP based phone booth at Burning Man.

    >I'm still waiting for the zyxel wifi voip phone to drop in price a bit
    >before I jump in.

    Actually, I've been trying to justify to myself the need for a wifi SIP
    phone to carry around. It's cool but for most users we are not quite
    there. In your house a cordless plugged into a Sipura is probably
    better and cheaper, and gives you a corded base. Out in the field
    cell phones are probably better as you need one anyway. We need
    a protocol to be adopted to let keyboardless devices talk to 802.11
    hot-spots that require registration. Though for saving money, an
    802.11 phone would be handy to take to a different continet where your
    roaming charges are obscene, but you could really only take and make
    calls when you specifically go to a hotspot. Over time that will
    change.

    A corporate phone system could make sense with 802.11 phones, especially
    assuming you have put in the network for data already.

    And at Burning Man it will be fun.

    Brad Templeton, Aug 20, 2004