Re: Is Microsoft Office Picture Manager Any Good?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dudley Hanks, Jul 28, 2008.

  1. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I've just discovered that the Microsoft Picture Manager lets me do basic
    > things like cropping, contrast and brightness adjustment, colour
    > manipulation via dialogue boxes that are accessable using my speech
    > program.
    >
    > While I'm excited that this gives me access to functions I haven't been
    > able to use in any other program, I'm a bit skeptical, since I haven't
    > heard of many other photogs using the program. Does anyone out there know
    > if the results obtained by Microsoft Picture Manager would be good enough
    > to justify learning how to use it?
    >
    > Thanks for any feedback.
    >
    > Dudley

    Actually, the program is Microsoft Office Picture Manager... Sorry, about
    that little oversight...

    Once again, thanks for any feedback...

    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Jul 28, 2008

  2. Dudley Hanks

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:54:12 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    <> wrote:
    :
    : "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message news:...
    : > I've just discovered that the Microsoft Picture Manager lets me do basic
    : > things like cropping, contrast and brightness adjustment, colour
    : > manipulation via dialogue boxes that are accessable using my speech
    : > program.
    : >
    : > While I'm excited that this gives me access to functions I haven't been
    : > able to use in any other program, I'm a bit skeptical, since I haven't
    : > heard of many other photogs using the program. Does anyone out there know
    : > if the results obtained by Microsoft Picture Manager would be good enough
    : > to justify learning how to use it?
    : >
    : > Thanks for any feedback.
    : >
    : > Dudley
    : >
    : >
    :
    : Actually, the program is Microsoft Office Picture Manager... Sorry, about
    : that little oversight...
    :
    : Once again, thanks for any feedback...
    :
    : Dudley

    For a Canon user it's inferior to Digital Photo Professional, except in one
    respect: I believe it includes redeye correction. (I'm not logged into a
    computer that has MOPM, so I can't say for sure. But someome will correct me
    if I'm wrong.)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 28, 2008

  3. Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> I've just discovered that the Microsoft Picture Manager lets me do basic
    >> things like cropping, contrast and brightness adjustment, colour
    >> manipulation via dialogue boxes that are accessable using my speech
    >> program.
    >>
    >> While I'm excited that this gives me access to functions I haven't been
    >> able to use in any other program, I'm a bit skeptical, since I haven't
    >> heard of many other photogs using the program. Does anyone out there know
    >> if the results obtained by Microsoft Picture Manager would be good enough
    >> to justify learning how to use it?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any feedback.
    >>
    >> Dudley
    >>

    > Actually, the program is Microsoft Office Picture Manager... Sorry, about
    > that little oversight...
    >
    > Once again, thanks for any feedback...
    >
    > Dudley

    I am a long time user of irfanview and highly recommend it. A couple of
    years ago I discovered fsviewer
    http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm and I now use that for most
    simple photo adjustment you describe. I still prefer irfanview for file
    rename.
    I have an aversion to most of Microsoft free stuff. They will satisfy
    the masses, but usually break down for critical use. Just my opinion.

    Clair
    Clair Johnston, Jul 29, 2008
  4. Dudley Hanks

    D-Mac Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:54:12 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    > :
    > : "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message news:...
    > : > I've just discovered that the Microsoft Picture Manager lets me do basic
    > : > things like cropping, contrast and brightness adjustment, colour
    > : > manipulation via dialogue boxes that are accessable using my speech
    > : > program.
    > : >
    > : > While I'm excited that this gives me access to functions I haven't been
    > : > able to use in any other program, I'm a bit skeptical, since I haven't
    > : > heard of many other photogs using the program. Does anyone out there know
    > : > if the results obtained by Microsoft Picture Manager would be good enough
    > : > to justify learning how to use it?
    > : >
    > : > Thanks for any feedback.
    > : >
    > : > Dudley
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > : Actually, the program is Microsoft Office Picture Manager... Sorry, about
    > : that little oversight...
    > :
    > : Once again, thanks for any feedback...
    > :
    > : Dudley
    >
    > For a Canon user it's inferior to Digital Photo Professional, except in one
    > respect: I believe it includes redeye correction. (I'm not logged into a
    > computer that has MOPM, so I can't say for sure. But someome will correct me
    > if I'm wrong.)
    >
    > Bob

    Dudley has special needs in a computer program Bob. I think a colour
    managed program might not be of much value to him. I personally would
    think letting Windows manage the colour produces a "good enough"
    rendition and almost guarantees a "near enough" print from most printers
    and digi-labs.

    Hey Dudley... Get the 60 day trial version from MS' web site. That
    should answer your questions once and for all.
    D-Mac, Jul 29, 2008
  5. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "D-Mac" <> wrote in message
    > Robert Coe wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:54:12 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    >> <> wrote:
    >> : : "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    >> : > I've just discovered that the Microsoft Picture Manager lets me do
    >> basic : > things like cropping, contrast and brightness adjustment,
    >> colour : > manipulation via dialogue boxes that are accessable using my
    >> speech : > program.
    >> : >
    >> : > While I'm excited that this gives me access to functions I haven't
    >> been : > able to use in any other program, I'm a bit skeptical, since I
    >> haven't : > heard of many other photogs using the program. Does anyone
    >> out there know : > if the results obtained by Microsoft Picture Manager
    >> would be good enough : > to justify learning how to use it?
    >> : >
    >> : > Thanks for any feedback.
    >> : >
    >> : > Dudley
    >> : >
    >> : >
    >> : : Actually, the program is Microsoft Office Picture Manager... Sorry,
    >> about : that little oversight...
    >> : : Once again, thanks for any feedback...
    >> : : Dudley
    >>
    >> For a Canon user it's inferior to Digital Photo Professional, except in
    >> one
    >> respect: I believe it includes redeye correction. (I'm not logged into a
    >> computer that has MOPM, so I can't say for sure. But someome will correct
    >> me
    >> if I'm wrong.)
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Dudley has special needs in a computer program Bob. I think a colour
    > managed program might not be of much value to him. I personally would
    > think letting Windows manage the colour produces a "good enough" rendition
    > and almost guarantees a "near enough" print from most printers and
    > digi-labs.
    >
    > Hey Dudley... Get the 60 day trial version from MS' web site. That should
    > answer your questions once and for all.

    Yeah, I've got the program installed, and I'm playing around with it. So
    far, I like what I can do with it.

    I'll take a few shots and tweak them a bit and post them along with the
    originals and see how much better others can do with Photoshop, etc. It
    should be an interesting little experiment.

    Thanks for the feedback,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Jul 29, 2008