Re: Is it worth it ????

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fhe, Sep 7, 2003.

  1. fhe

    fhe Guest

    On 7 Sep 2003 04:57:05 -0700, (advid) wrote:

    >... i've just downloaded some full size 6meg pics taken with the new
    >Canon 300d SLR.... I then resampled them all in PS7 to 1600x1200 (2
    >meg aprox) - then printed both original and resized using my Canon
    >i950 printer at A5 (8x5.5 aprox) [ 2 full size pics to an A4 page ...
    >]
    >
    >The quality difference to my eye at normal viewing distance was hardly
    >noticeable... Close up with a magnifier YES - slight losses in
    >defintion were visible BUT my question - is it worth it ????
    >
    >Standard size 6x4 and 7x5 prints will hardly show this difference...
    >
    >If 10's of thousands of (non pro / average pic shooters) people are
    >going to buy the new Canon will they really see any great improvement
    >with their 7x5's.... most will never want an 8x10 let alone A3 A3+....
    >
    >I've got an Olympus 2100uz (2meg) and an E10 (4meg) and most times
    >looking at a 7x5 print it's hard to tell which took what....
    >
    >I'd definately like a Canon 300d - BUT - again my question - IS IT
    >GOING TO BE WORTH IT ??????

    Are you a good enough photographer (or uninterested enough in the
    results of your labors) that you'll NEVER need to crop one of your
    pictures? Just think about the advantage of having a shot taken with a
    6 Mp camera that you can crop fairly severely and still have the
    equivalent of 1600 x 1200. IS IT GOING TO BE WORTH IT????? Darn right
    it is.

    fhe, Sep 7, 2003

  2. fhe

    gr Guest

    "Mike Graham" <> wrote
    > In article <>, fhe wrote:
    >
    > > pictures? Just think about the advantage of having a shot taken with a
    > > 6 Mp camera that you can crop fairly severely and still have the
    > > equivalent of 1600 x 1200. IS IT GOING TO BE WORTH IT????? Darn right
    > > it is.

    > Excellent point.

    Paying a huge premium for a 6mp camera, just so you can crop to 2mp isn't
    such a good idea. You'd be better off investing in a longer zoom, or a
    teleconverter. There's plenty of better reasons to buy a new-model quality
    camera. Cropping is way down on the list.

    gr, Sep 7, 2003