Re: Is it possible to share this type of connection?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. "Kyote" <> wrote in message
    > I'm needing to switch to Verizon Wireless USB broadband. Is it
    > possible to share such a connection with the other computers on my
    > home network?

    My limited expereince is no.

    I attempted to do this, and ran into IP Address problems. The wireless
    boradband that you have is assigned an address, which is a giant duh!, the
    trouble comes when a second machine shares that address. There might be a
    workaround, but I couldn't find it. I actually had the network established,
    but it reported the address conflict on the host box. The error was
    something like, TOO MANY CONNECTIONS.

    What you need is a router that can assign the addresses to the machines in
    your network. This would allow the router to split the traffic so it is
    directed to the intended box. Currently, your broadband device sees inbound
    traffic but can't divide the traffic to the intended box.

    The trouble is, Verizon sells service where you can have multiple live
    connections at the same time. They call it FiOS, or if it comes over the
    cable TV connection it's broadband, and if it comes over the phone line they
    call it DSL. What you have is a single connection for a single machine.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 7, 2008