Re: Is it possible to share this type of connection?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Nov 6, 2008.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Kyote wrote:
    > I'm needing to switch to Verizon Wireless USB broadband. Is it
    > possible to share such a connection with the other computers on my
    > home network?

    Generally, you start by finding out what standard Verizon is using.
    By looking at the devices on one of their plan pages, it looks
    like EVDO.

    And this device appears to connect to a Verizon device, and
    perform a router function.

    http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2124/63

    So you want to search for EVDO router solutions, either wireless
    or wired. And preferably, stating they work with Verizon.

    You can see some examples here, only one of them is listed as
    working with Sprint. Why that makes a difference is unclear to me.
    With standards, devices like this should be interchangeable.

    http://www.amazon.com/tag/evdo router

    Poking around the Linksys site, they have models for three
    different wireless providers, and they do have a Verizon
    model. This one accepts a PCCard format modem from Verison,
    that plugs into a slot in the unit.

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=1671139789B09

    If that link doesn't work, just look for WRT54G3G-VN on the
    Linksys site.

    Finding a review for the thing, or doing a bit of Googling, may
    indicate whether the thing is a dog or not. With routers,
    there is a good deal of crap out there (stuff that freezes,
    or disconnects and so on).

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 6, 2008

  2. "Kyote" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:32:03 -0500, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    > -Kyote wrote:
    > -> I'm needing to switch to Verizon Wireless USB broadband. Is it
    > -> possible to share such a connection with the other computers on my
    > -> home network?
    > -
    > -Generally, you start by finding out what standard Verizon is using.
    > -By looking at the devices on one of their plan pages, it looks
    > -like EVDO.
    > -
    > -And this device appears to connect to a Verizon device, and
    > -perform a router function.
    > -
    > -http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2124/63
    > -
    > -So you want to search for EVDO router solutions, either wireless
    > -or wired. And preferably, stating they work with Verizon.
    > -
    > -You can see some examples here, only one of them is listed as
    > -working with Sprint. Why that makes a difference is unclear to me.
    > -With standards, devices like this should be interchangeable.
    > -
    > -http://www.amazon.com/tag/evdo%20router
    > -
    > -Poking around the Linksys site, they have models for three
    > -different wireless providers, and they do have a Verizon
    > -model. This one accepts a PCCard format modem from Verison,
    > -that plugs into a slot in the unit.
    > -
    > -http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1175242816711&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=1671139789B09
    > -
    > -If that link doesn't work, just look for WRT54G3G-VN on the
    > -Linksys site.
    > -
    > -Finding a review for the thing, or doing a bit of Googling, may
    > -indicate whether the thing is a dog or not. With routers,
    > -there is a good deal of crap out there (stuff that freezes,
    > -or disconnects and so on).
    > -
    > - Paul
    >
    > Thank you very very much Paul. I'm in the middle of packing for my
    > move and haven't had much time to research any of the required info
    > and this helped me out a lot.
    >
    > A question to you or anyone else that can answer. With me having
    > several computers can I use 1 computer with a USB727 modem then share
    > it's connection through my regular router? The price of the routers
    > for the USB727 and other EVDO devices is outrageous. Not really a big
    > deal I guess since I can simply disconnect the USB727 and plug it in
    > any of my other computers and use my network for sharing files needed
    > from 1 system to another. But it'd be nice to know if I can get around
    > paying those ridiculous prices and utilize my current equipment as
    > much as possible.
    >
    > Kyote

    If you are moving, then the answer comes through the services where you move
    to, and Verizon might not have the franchise there to provide services. Your
    USB device can be a cell-based unit, in which case it should work anywhere.
    I had a friend that had this kind of device, and it could not support a
    network.

    What you need is a router that connects to the internet, then depending on
    if that router is wired or wireless will define how your network is built. I
    have Verizon FiOS, and one machine is connected by CAT5 cable, and 4
    machines are connected through wireless.

    Since you are using a USB device to make the Internet connection, this means
    to me that the device works like a modem, but faster. A modem can only
    connect one machine. If you had a router that had a USB port to support the
    modem, then it might be able to direct inbound traffic to the respective
    machines in your network. Think of Internet traffic as cars on the highway,
    each car intending on getting to a different place. The router acts like an
    interchange, and as the traffic enters the interchange, the interchange
    itself looks at each car and knows where it should go, and sends it there.
    The router knows this because of the IP address on the packet of data (each
    individual car). Then a packet arrives, the router knows that it should go
    to Machine A, Machine B, Machine C, and so on, and sends the packet on its
    way.

    When your network connection is based on a machine and not a router, then
    all of the inbound traffic is understood to belong to that machine. The
    connection itself does not divide and direct the traffic, the router does
    that. You need a router that can make the connection for you, and then
    divide the traffic as needed.
    Jeff Strickland, Nov 7, 2008

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Kyote wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:32:03 -0500, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    > -Kyote wrote:
    > -> I'm needing to switch to Verizon Wireless USB broadband. Is it
    > -> possible to share such a connection with the other computers on my
    > -> home network?
    > -
    > -Generally, you start by finding out what standard Verizon is using.
    > -By looking at the devices on one of their plan pages, it looks
    > -like EVDO.
    > -
    > -And this device appears to connect to a Verizon device, and
    > -perform a router function.
    > -
    > -http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2124/63
    > -
    > -So you want to search for EVDO router solutions, either wireless
    > -or wired. And preferably, stating they work with Verizon.
    > -
    > -You can see some examples here, only one of them is listed as
    > -working with Sprint. Why that makes a difference is unclear to me.
    > -With standards, devices like this should be interchangeable.
    > -
    > -http://www.amazon.com/tag/evdo%20router
    > -
    > -Poking around the Linksys site, they have models for three
    > -different wireless providers, and they do have a Verizon
    > -model. This one accepts a PCCard format modem from Verison,
    > -that plugs into a slot in the unit.
    > -
    > -http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&
    > cid=1175242816711&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=1671139789B09
    > -
    > -If that link doesn't work, just look for WRT54G3G-VN on the
    > -Linksys site.
    > -
    > -Finding a review for the thing, or doing a bit of Googling, may
    > -indicate whether the thing is a dog or not. With routers,
    > -there is a good deal of crap out there (stuff that freezes,
    > -or disconnects and so on).
    > -
    > - Paul
    >
    > Thank you very very much Paul. I'm in the middle of packing for my
    > move and haven't had much time to research any of the required info
    > and this helped me out a lot.
    >
    > A question to you or anyone else that can answer. With me having
    > several computers can I use 1 computer with a USB727 modem then share
    > it's connection through my regular router? The price of the routers
    > for the USB727 and other EVDO devices is outrageous. Not really a big
    > deal I guess since I can simply disconnect the USB727 and plug it in
    > any of my other computers and use my network for sharing files needed
    > from 1 system to another. But it'd be nice to know if I can get around
    > paying those ridiculous prices and utilize my current equipment as
    > much as possible.
    >
    > Kyote

    That would be called ICS (internet connection sharing), and would
    look like this. You might try a wireless access point on Computer #1,
    or use a wired connection to an existing switch or router.

    USB727 ----- Computer #1 ------ Wireless_Access_Point
    ------ Ethernet (wired) ------ switch or router

    One limitation of ICS, is the output on the right is 192.168.1.x and is
    fixed. The side on the left of Computer #1, has the routable IP address
    of your public interface.

    I'm less sure of what happens to the right of the diagram. The
    Wireless Access Point might have a couple operating modes, so there
    may be some choices there. The wired connection to the switch or router,
    might not be perfectly transparent (like getting to a printer connected
    to Computer #1 might be a problem).

    So you can experiment like this at first if you want. Get your USB727
    if you want, remembering that for those "expensive" solutions, they
    have some interface standard that they use (USB or PCCard etc). So once you've
    selected the flavor of Verizon device, that will limit the choices
    in the "expensive" routers.

    Try wiring up the above diagram, and see how Windows handles it. In any
    case, computer #1 would always have to be on, for the
    other computers to get Internet service. But I'm not skilled enough
    to predict what will happen with the stuff on the right.

    Just make sure you have a "backup plan", if it doesn't work out.

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 8, 2008