Re: Is it possible to set up a router to preference the VOIP port

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Tim, Feb 23, 2009.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Anti-Spam wrote:
    > I have a linksys SP3102 VOIP adaptor linked to my wireless D Link
    > DSL-604+ router. My SP3102 is Ethernet hardwired to my router, as is
    > my PC. Problem I have is that if there is any heavyweight internet
    > activity on my PC, it makes my VOIP connection (VOIPTalk) crap. When
    > nothing is happening on my PC, VOIP is great. My general question
    > about routers is, can they be made to preference a particular wired
    > port over anything else, so that my VOIP connection gets preference.

    SPA-3102 does this for upstream.

    Click router, Admin login, advanced, Wan Setup.

    Then find the setting Qos QDisc.

    Set to CBQ or TBF. I'd try TBF first.

    Then set the maximum upload speed to match the upload speed of your
    internet connection.

    Should slow down upload from your computer when you are on the phone.

    For download, you need a router capable of TCP window shaping or you
    need your ISP to help.

    Tim

    Tim, Feb 23, 2009