Re: Is is a good idea to get anonymous web surfing program?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, Oct 31, 2008.

  1. Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote:

    >If it is good idea, please advice me a name of a good program.

    Maybe not what your after, but if I download a torrent, I run Peer
    Guardian http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

    Anonymous web surfing tho, I don't have a reason to be anonymous.

    Just careful what I say. Remember anything you post to the internet
    the whole world can read, this includes your e-mails.

    --

    http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/content/pic3257.jpg
    , Oct 31, 2008

  2. Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-10-31, Robert <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> "Robert" <> wrote:
    >>>If it is good idea, please advice me a name of a good program.

    >> Maybe not what your after, but if I download a torrent, I run Peer
    >> Guardian http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/
    >>
    >> Anonymous web surfing tho, I don't have a reason to be anonymous.
    >>
    >> Just careful what I say. Remember anything you post to the internet
    >> the whole world can read, this includes your e-mails.

    > Thanks for the good advice. I don't have anything to hide.
    >

    > I saw a popup ad in the internet for something like that and didn't download
    > it. It just made me curious. That is why I asked.

    Unexpected pop-ups are unlikely to be safe to act on. You should note
    which program allowed the pop-up to appear and then either adjust the
    settings on that program to block unwanted pop-ups, or stop running that
    program.

    There is no such thing as total anonymity on the internet, although you
    can use services which make it more difficult for web sites you visit to
    identify where you are. But the services themselves will know, and your
    ISP has to know in order to deliver what you want.

    If you are concerned about keeping your private life private, then the
    first thing to do is stop using Gmail or any other Google services.

    A good rule of thumb is, if you wouldn't put it on a postcard or want your
    friends or family or boss to know about it, don't do it on line.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 31, 2008

  3. Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the good advice. I don't have anything to hide.

    >I saw a popup ad in the internet for something like that and didn't download
    >it. It just made me curious. That is why I asked.

    A HOST file on the other hand is almost a must, it will keep the pop
    ups and ads from showing up.

    It doesn't hide who you are, just blocks the advertisements, faster

    The one I use:
    http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts

    ><> wrote in message
    >> "Robert" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If it is good idea, please advice me a name of a good program.

    >> Maybe not what your after, but if I download a torrent, I run Peer
    >> Guardian http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/
    >>
    >> Anonymous web surfing tho, I don't have a reason to be anonymous.
    >>
    >> Just careful what I say. Remember anything you post to the internet
    >> the whole world can read, this includes your e-mails.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/content/pic3257.jpg

    --

    Fire breaks out in US nuclear missile silo, burns for two hours,
    cooks a nearby box of shotgun shells and nobody noticed anything