Re: Is George Preddy still around??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Darrell, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    "dylan" <> wrote in message
    news:cu5480$l0q$...

    > "Lewis Lang" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi. There was once a poster on the photography groups who was very
    > > well-versed on the Sigma SD* series DSLRs. He went by the name of
    > > George Preddy. Is he still around?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    My guess is he was LARTed, or Earthlink got around to enforcing their TOS...
    Shot down faster than the Iraqii airforce.
    Darrell, Feb 5, 2005

  2. Darrell

    dylan Guest

    "Lewis Lang" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. There was once a poster on the photography groups who was very
    > well-versed on the Sigma SD* series DSLRs. He went by the name of
    > George Preddy. Is he still around?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Lewis Lang

    Not by that name recently, could try Geogette Preddy or many other aliases,
    usually identified by recommending Sigmas, slagging off Canons and
    distorting the facts or blatant lying.
    dylan, Feb 6, 2005

  3. Darrell

    Des Perado Guest

    "dylan" <> wrote in message

    > Not by that name recently, could try Geogette Preddy or many other
    > aliases, usually identified by recommending Sigmas, slagging off Canons
    > and distorting the facts or blatant lying.

    If I need a good laugh I sometimes swing by the Sigma SLR Talk forum at
    dpreview.com. Idf you have a look you will find the preddy halfwit is quite
    active there as SigmaSD9, and yes, he is as much an opinionated and
    inaccurate idiot as ever. Mind you, they are all weird to some extent in
    that forum.
    Des Perado, Feb 7, 2005
  4. "Des Perado" <> wrote in message

    >... Mind you, they are all weird to some extent in that forum.

    How so?
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 7, 2005
  5. Darrell

    Des Perado Guest

    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    >>... Mind you, they are all weird to some extent in that forum.

    > How so?

    Well, for a start, they seem to find Sigmas to be worthwhile.
    Des Perado, Feb 7, 2005
  6. "Des Perado" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    >>>... Mind you, they are all weird to some extent in that forum.

    >> How so?
    >>

    > Well, for a start, they seem to find Sigmas to be worthwhile.

    For a start, you are being very childish, and that is putting it kindly.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 7, 2005
  7. Darrell

    Scharf-DCA Guest

    Des Perado wrote:

    > If I need a good laugh I sometimes swing by the Sigma SLR Talk forum
    > at dpreview.com.

    There is a lot of depression on that group, and you're not helping the
    situation by finding amusement in the misfortune of others.

    > Idf you have a look you will find the preddy halfwit is quite
    > active there as SigmaSD9, and yes, he is as much an opinionated and
    > inaccurate idiot as ever. Mind you, they are all weird to some

    extent in
    > that forum.

    It's basically an advocacy and support group, with many of the
    participants there simply there to validate each other's buying
    decision.

    There are some mighty upset people there. Prior to every industry show
    they get their hopes up for a higher resolution model, and then are
    disappointed. There are already people posting about how they have
    given up on Sigma due to the color issues, low resolution, etc., and
    are moving over to Canon or Nikon. Some people are now modifying Canon
    prime lenses to fit the Sigma SD9 and SD10, having given up on Sigma
    prime lenses. This is quite an effort, involving a new mount, and a new
    chip.
    Scharf-DCA, Feb 7, 2005
  8. "Scharf-DCA" <> wrote in message
    > Des Perado wrote:
    >
    >> If I need a good laugh I sometimes swing by the Sigma SLR Talk forum
    >> at dpreview.com.

    > There is a lot of depression on that group, and you're not helping the
    > situation by finding amusement in the misfortune of others.
    >
    >> Idf you have a look you will find the preddy halfwit is quite
    >> active there as SigmaSD9, and yes, he is as much an opinionated and
    >> inaccurate idiot as ever. Mind you, they are all weird to some

    > extent in
    >> that forum.

    > It's basically an advocacy and support group, with many of the
    > participants there simply there to validate each other's buying
    > decision.
    >
    > There are some mighty upset people there. Prior to every industry show
    > they get their hopes up for a higher resolution model, and then are
    > disappointed. There are already people posting about how they have
    > given up on Sigma due to the color issues, low resolution, etc., and
    > are moving over to Canon or Nikon. Some people are now modifying Canon
    > prime lenses to fit the Sigma SD9 and SD10, having given up on Sigma
    > prime lenses. This is quite an effort, involving a new mount, and a new
    > chip.

    Quite a spin you manage to put on this. You are seriously deluded and
    should seek treatment right away.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 7, 2005
  9. On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:37:48 -0000, "Des Perado" <> wrote:

    >If I need a good laugh I sometimes swing by the Sigma SLR Talk forum at
    >dpreview.com. Idf you have a look you will find the preddy halfwit is quite
    >active there as SigmaSD9, and yes, he is as much an opinionated and
    >inaccurate idiot as ever.

    Yes he is, and for the love of God, don't go over there and rock the
    boat. Judging by some of the followup posts he's probably close to
    getting banned by Phil Askey again, which means he'll probably come
    back here. If you want a laugh though, his posts on DPReview can be
    found here:

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/postersprofile.asp?poster=hiimidixheii

    Andy
    Andy Blanchard, Feb 7, 2005
  10. Darrell

    Skip M Guest

    > "Scharf-DCA" <> wrote in message

    >> There are some mighty upset people there. Prior to every industry show
    >> they get their hopes up for a higher resolution model, and then are
    >> disappointed. There are already people posting about how they have
    >> given up on Sigma due to the color issues, low resolution, etc., and
    >> are moving over to Canon or Nikon. Some people are now modifying Canon
    >> prime lenses to fit the Sigma SD9 and SD10, having given up on Sigma
    >> prime lenses. This is quite an effort, involving a new mount, and a new
    >> chip.

    > Quite a spin you manage to put on this. You are seriously deluded and
    > should seek treatment right away.

    I like the way you posted on the Sigma forum an invitation to "comment" on
    Steve's posts. Don't feel up to the task, yourself?

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Feb 8, 2005
  11. Darrell

    Scharf-DCA Guest

    Andy Blanchard wrote:

    > Yes he is, and for the love of God, don't go over there and rock the
    > boat.

    Definitely! I posted a couple of times there, and it's quite clear that
    the people there do NOT like anyone showing up with any facts that
    intrude on their world. It was rather amusing to be accused of being a
    Canon stockholder, and a bunch of other weird accusations. It's very
    bizarre, almost like some sort of cult.

    > Judging by some of the followup posts he's probably close to
    > getting banned by Phil Askey again, which means he'll probably come
    > back here. If you want a laugh though, his posts on DPReview can be
    > found here:

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/postersprofile.asp?poster=hiimidixheii

    I find some of his posts in that list quite amusing. He's still doing a
    bit of the anti-Canon schtick, but lately he's been concentrating on
    the whole Canon lens adaptation, which is intriguing, since he used to
    rail against Canon lenses.

    When I read
    "http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=12151595"
    I was impressed with his honesty!

    Also see:
    "http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30070&item=3870857385&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW"

    I think that the Canon 20D was the final straw that caused him to leave
    rec.photo.digital, because all the minor complaints he had about the
    10D were corrected in the 20D.
    Scharf-DCA, Feb 8, 2005
  12. Darrell

    Scharf-DCA Guest

    Skip M wrote:
    > "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message

    >>Quite a spin you manage to put on this. You are seriously deluded

    and
    >>should seek treatment right away.
    >>

    > I like the way you posted on the Sigma forum an invitation to

    "comment" on
    > Steve's posts. Don't feel up to the task, yourself?

    I still have Peter kill-filed, so I didn't see his rec.photo.digital
    response, but now that I see it, I am not surprised at how weak it is.
    The "seek treatment" schtick has got to be one of the oldest and lamest
    Usenet debating techniques, used when someone can't respond coherently.

    Thanks for alerting us about his post about this in the Sigma Forum. No
    doubt I'll be subjected to a deluge of abuse for posting the facts!
    Peter just wants to stir up the troops in the dpreview forum, they're
    happiest when they have someone to attack.
    Scharf-DCA, Feb 8, 2005
  13. "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    >> "Scharf-DCA" <> wrote in message

    >>> There are some mighty upset people there. Prior to every industry show
    >>> they get their hopes up for a higher resolution model, and then are
    >>> disappointed. There are already people posting about how they have
    >>> given up on Sigma due to the color issues, low resolution, etc., and
    >>> are moving over to Canon or Nikon. Some people are now modifying Canon
    >>> prime lenses to fit the Sigma SD9 and SD10, having given up on Sigma
    >>> prime lenses. This is quite an effort, involving a new mount, and a new
    >>> chip.

    >> Quite a spin you manage to put on this. You are seriously deluded and
    >> should seek treatment right away.
    >>

    > I like the way you posted on the Sigma forum an invitation to "comment" on
    > Steve's posts. Don't feel up to the task, yourself?

    First of all, he impugned all of the members of the Sigma forum with his
    outrageous comments. Secondly, I don't have the patience for him - he's
    nothing more than a troll.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 8, 2005
  14. "Scharf-DCA" <> wrote in message
    > Skip M wrote:
    >> "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message

    >>>Quite a spin you manage to put on this. You are seriously deluded

    > and
    >>>should seek treatment right away.
    >>>

    >> I like the way you posted on the Sigma forum an invitation to

    > "comment" on
    >> Steve's posts. Don't feel up to the task, yourself?

    > I still have Peter kill-filed, so I didn't see his rec.photo.digital
    > response, but now that I see it, I am not surprised at how weak it is.
    > The "seek treatment" schtick has got to be one of the oldest and lamest
    > Usenet debating techniques, used when someone can't respond coherently.
    >
    > Thanks for alerting us about his post about this in the Sigma Forum. No
    > doubt I'll be subjected to a deluge of abuse for posting the facts!
    > Peter just wants to stir up the troops in the dpreview forum, they're
    > happiest when they have someone to attack.

    You make yourself an easy and deserved target. Try some truth once
    in-a-while and you'll be amazed at how differently you'll be treated.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 8, 2005
  15. In article <NLVNd.2235$>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    <> wrote:

    > You make yourself an easy and deserved target. Try some truth once
    > in-a-while and you'll be amazed at how differently you'll be treated.

    How about this for truth?

    Sigma digital cameras are overpriced 3.42MP pieces of junk which
    require proprietary lenses and produce horrible colors.
    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 8, 2005
  16. Skip M wrote:

    > I like the way you posted on the Sigma forum an invitation to "comment" on
    > Steve's posts. Don't feel up to the task, yourself?

    It was an opportunity to stir up trouble. I don't know what he hopes to
    accomplish with this juvenile behavior. I don't know why he gets so
    emotional over a camera, but if you read some of his posts in the
    dpreview forums, he looks for every opportunity to bash Canon, and looks
    for every opportunity to promote Sigma. Last week he was lying about
    warranties, until it was pointed out to him that Sigma has the same
    issues with out of country purchases as Canon and Nikon.

    The funny thing is that I'll bet that in other settings, Peter is
    entirely reasonable and polite, there is something about the anonymity
    of the forums that brings out the worst in some people. Perhaps I went
    overboard in analyzing the behavior of the people in the dpreview Sigma
    forum, certainly all of them are not like Peter or Preddy. Peter is
    worse than Preddy in many ways, every time he loses an argument he
    quickly descends to crap about delusions, mental illness, etc., which is
    very juvenile.

    The bottom line is that Sigma no longer is a player in digital cameras.
    They are two generations behind Canon and Nikon, with no hope to catch
    up. It's understandable how some people are upset that they invested in
    a system that's a dead end, but it isn't the end of the world, and
    doesn't warrant the non-linear behavior.
    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 8, 2005
  17. Darrell

    >>> How so?
    >>>

    >> Well, for a start, they seem to find Sigmas to be worthwhile.

    > For a start, you are being very childish, and that is putting it kindly.

    On the contrary - I find Sigma cameras to be silly toys (and that's putting
    it kindly), which must make their users childish, no?
    Des Perado, Feb 8, 2005
  18. Darrell

    >> are moving over to Canon or Nikon. Some people are now modifying Canon
    >> prime lenses to fit the Sigma SD9 and SD10, having given up on Sigma
    >> prime lenses. This is quite an effort, involving a new mount, and a new
    >> chip.

    > Quite a spin you manage to put on this. You are seriously deluded and
    > should seek treatment right away.

    Are you denying the above?
    I've seen that sad forum - there are a number of people fiddling around with
    alternative lenses in a vain attempt to wrest something worthwhile out of
    their toy cameras.
    Des Perado, Feb 8, 2005
  19. Darrell

    Des Perado Guest

    "Andy Blanchard" <> wrote in message
    > Yes he is, and for the love of God, don't go over there and rock the
    > boat. Judging by some of the followup posts he's probably close to
    > getting banned by Phil Askey again, which means he'll probably come
    > back here. If you want a laugh though, his posts on DPReview can be
    > found here:
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/postersprofile.asp?poster=hiimidixheii

    Surely I'm seeing things??? Preddy actually using a Canon lens? And
    advocating its use on a Sigma toy!!
    Des Perado, Feb 8, 2005
  20. "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <NLVNd.2235$>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> You make yourself an easy and deserved target. Try some truth once
    >> in-a-while and you'll be amazed at how differently you'll be treated.

    > How about this for truth?
    >
    > Sigma digital cameras are overpriced 3.42MP pieces of junk which
    > require proprietary lenses and produce horrible colors.

    Nice to see the attendants let you out of your "room" for a little air.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 8, 2005