    but I have recieved no answer from them as yet. Can anyone suggest a way to fix
    this problem?
    concerned father
    John721235, Jan 10, 2004

  2. I find it amazing that Photoshop Elements is not Photoshop plug-in
    compatible. I use GF 3.0 with PaintShop Pro 8, which is Photoshop plug-in
    compatible.

    Have you tired to simply copy the .8BI file, and then rename it as a .8BF
    and see what happens? Or, as in PaintShop Pro, there is a setting on just
    which kind of plug-in to recognize.

    Bye.

    "John721235" <> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased Genuine Fractals 3.0 from Lizardtech and I find that
    > Photoshop Elements does not recognize it as a plug in file. I have found

    out
    > that the file type recognized by Photoshop Elements is 8BF. All the plug

    ins
    > that work are of this file type. However, Genuine Fractals from Lizardtech

    uses
    > a plugin file type of 8BI. I have brought this to the attention of

    Lizardtech,

    David Sommers, Jan 10, 2004

  3. "John721235" <> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased Genuine Fractals 3.0 from Lizardtech and I find

    that
    > Photoshop Elements does not recognize it as a plug in file. I have

    found out
    > that the file type recognized by Photoshop Elements is 8BF. All the

    plug ins
    > that work are of this file type. However, Genuine Fractals from

    Lizardtech uses
    > a plugin file type of 8BI. I have brought this to the attention of

    Lizardtech,
    > but I have recieved no answer from them as yet. Can anyone suggest a

    way to > fix this problem?

    8BF files are filters, 8BI files are import/file types.
    You typically SAVE an existing file AS a Fractals type, and open (as)
    a fractal file type, and rezize while opening. Don't know if it is
    Elements compatible though.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 10, 2004
  4. John721235

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I have just tested GF 3.0 with Elements and it works as advertised. You need to
    click on File > save as
    Select STN from the file type dropdown
    Click OK when the GF box appears.
    Open the .stn file and save as .PSD
    You will get the option of resizing.

    Make sure the Genuine Fractal file (about 4 MB) is in the File Format folder
    under plugins.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Jan 11, 2004
  5. John721235

    Zol. Guest

    A simply solution is that the plug-in doesn`t go into the correct directory :) locate the
    lizardtech directory and copy the GF.....8bi file into the plugins/file formats directory
    inside your Photoshop elements directory - I tried the demo/trial and couldn`t understand
    why it didn`t appear as a file save format untill I did this, regards ... Zol.

    Zol., Jan 11, 2004
  6. John721235

    Frank ess Guest

    Zol. wrote:
    > A simply solution is that the plug-in doesn`t go into the correct
    > directory :) locate the lizardtech directory and copy the GF.....8bi
    > file into the plugins/file formats directory inside your Photoshop
    > elements directory - I tried the demo/trial and couldn`t understand
    > why it didn`t appear as a file save format untill I did this, regards
    > ... Zol.
    >
    > "John721235" <> wrote in message
    >> I recently purchased Genuine Fractals 3.0 from Lizardtech and I find
    >> that
    >> Photoshop Elements does not recognize it as a plug in file. I have
    >> found out
    >> that the file type recognized by Photoshop Elements is 8BF. All the
    >> plug ins
    >> that work are of this file type. However, Genuine Fractals from
    >> Lizardtech uses
    >> a plugin file type of 8BI. I have brought this to the attention of
    >> Lizardtech,
    >> but I have recieved no answer from them as yet. Can anyone suggest a
    >> way to fix
    >> this problem?
    >> concerned father

    I can see why you'd be concerned. That's an expensive program. What are the
    needs in a photographer's environment that would make Genuine Fractals a
    must-have?

    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Jan 11, 2004
  7. John721235

    Zol. Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Zol. wrote:
    > > A simply solution is that the plug-in doesn`t go into the correct
    > > directory :) locate the lizardtech directory and copy the GF.....8bi
    > > file into the plugins/file formats directory inside your Photoshop
    > > elements directory - I tried the demo/trial and couldn`t understand
    > > why it didn`t appear as a file save format untill I did this, regards
    > > ... Zol.
    > >
    > > "John721235" <> wrote in message
    > >> I recently purchased Genuine Fractals 3.0 from Lizardtech and I find
    > >> that
    > >> Photoshop Elements does not recognize it as a plug in file. I have
    > >> found out
    > >> that the file type recognized by Photoshop Elements is 8BF. All the
    > >> plug ins
    > >> that work are of this file type. However, Genuine Fractals from
    > >> Lizardtech uses
    > >> a plugin file type of 8BI. I have brought this to the attention of
    > >> Lizardtech,
    > >> but I have recieved no answer from them as yet. Can anyone suggest a
    > >> way to fix
    > >> this problem?
    > >> concerned father

    > I can see why you'd be concerned. That's an expensive program. What are the
    > needs in a photographer's environment that would make Genuine Fractals a
    > must-have?
    >
    > Frank ess

    I assume you are writing to the originator of the message? for me it was just the trial to
    see if the claims were as good as suggested (upto 600% increase in image size without
    noticable decrease in quality) it may not be that good but does do a pretty good job and is
    easy to use ... Zol.
    Zol., Jan 11, 2004
  8. In article <gFgMb.63151$>,
    "Frank ess" <> wrote:

    > I can see why you'd be concerned. That's an expensive program. What are the
    > needs in a photographer's environment that would make Genuine Fractals a
    > must-have?

    It is about the only way to scale up a digital image and to get a decent
    picture. The photo programs, like Photoshop Elements, either don't do
    this at all or don't do it as well.

    I use pxl SmartScale, which is similar to Genuine Fractals, solely for
    this purpose. I have taken some photos scaled for the web and scaled
    them up with decent results. They aren't as sharp as pictures actually
    taken at the correct scale or scaled down from a larger size, but they
    are better than just blowing up what you download.

    --
    Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
    bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
    Robert Peirce, Jan 11, 2004
  9. John721235

    HRosita Guest

    >"Frank ess" wrote

    >What are the
    >needs in a photographer's environment that would make Genuine Fractals a
    >must-have?

    Hi,

    It is not really a must have now, because there are other programs that create
    good interpolations but some years ago this was the only one that was better
    than Photoshops bicubic interpolation.
    I use it to interpolate images for printing large prints.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Jan 12, 2004
  10. John721235

    Frank ess Guest

    HRosita wrote:
    >> "Frank ess" wrote

    >> What are the
    >> needs in a photographer's environment that would make Genuine
    >> Fractals a must-have?

    > Hi,
    >
    > It is not really a must have now, because there are other programs
    > that create good interpolations but some years ago this was the only
    > one that was better than Photoshops bicubic interpolation.
    > I use it to interpolate images for printing large prints.
    > Rosita

    Thank you.

    So, there is some routine in Photoshop that accomplishes the same thing? How
    does GF survive?

    What other programs create good interpolations?

    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Jan 12, 2004
  11. Hi Frank ess

    > So, there is some routine in Photoshop that accomplishes the same thing?

    Similar, but not the same. At least in PS 7.

    > How
    > does GF survive?

    By doing a good job at letting folks make large prints
    from small-megapixel images.

    > What other programs create good interpolations?

    Qimage and IrfanView. They may be nails in
    GF's coffin.

    -- stan
    Stanley Krute, Jan 12, 2004
  12. John721235

    Frank ess Guest

    Stanley Krute wrote:
    > Hi Frank ess
    >
    >> So, there is some routine in Photoshop that accomplishes the same
    >> thing?

    > Similar, but not the same. At least in PS 7.
    >
    >> How
    >> does GF survive?

    > By doing a good job at letting folks make large prints
    > from small-megapixel images.
    >
    >> What other programs create good interpolations?

    > Qimage and IrfanView. They may be nails in
    > GF's coffin.
    >
    > -- stan

    Thank you, Stan - I mean -- stan

    I appreciate learning from you and from this group. Very much worth while,
    in spite of the occasional static.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Jan 12, 2004
  13. "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > What other programs create good interpolations?

    SSpline (http://www.shortcut.nl) looks far superior and much more adaptable
    to image content.
    Qimage which is intended for pre-print scaling, creates much less of a
    posterized look than GF.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 12, 2004
  14. John721235

    Frank ess Guest

    Bart van der Wolf wrote:
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > SNIP
    >> What other programs create good interpolations?

    > SSpline (http://www.shortcut.nl) looks far superior and much more
    > adaptable to image content.
    > Qimage which is intended for pre-print scaling, creates much less of a
    > posterized look than GF.
    >
    > Bart

    Thank you, Bart.

    Does it irritate anyone else that some online vendors such as shortcut take
    you through as many as six useless pages before they announce the price they
    charge for their products?

    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Jan 12, 2004
  15. "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > Does it irritate anyone else that some online vendors such as shortcut
    > take you through as many as six useless pages before they announce
    > the price they charge for their products?

    Yes I agree, it's a bit like they are embarassed to mention the price and
    fear that people will leave the site. Anyway, the S-SplinePRO download gives
    an impression of what's possible with that program.

    Qimage IMHO is better value for money, assuming you usually resize/upscale
    for printing. It's workflow benefits are huge, and the Vector interpolation
    is rather good for most subjects.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 13, 2004
  16. Hi Frank

    > Does it irritate anyone else that some online vendors such as shortcut take
    > you through as many as six useless pages before they announce the price they
    > charge for their products?

    Don't know if it rises to the level of irritation, but failure
    to immediately disclose price in any marketing message
    makes my "gonna cost too much for what it'll deliver"
    antennae quiver.

    Salutes ...

    -- stan

    http://FreshArtDaily.com