Re: Is everything Apple this difficult ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, Jul 25, 2008.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > I have the free Quicktime7.0 installed on my PC.
    >
    > I want to be able to save embedded content from a website, that you need to
    > upgrade to QuicktimePro to do. OK, not my preferred option, but the website
    > chose to use QT so I'm stuck with it.... Click on the button to but a
    > licence that upgrades it to "pro".
    >
    > What a performance - amoungst other things you get bombabred by shite from
    > the 'Apple Shop' that you are led to, have to choose your country from a
    > very incomplete list ( ie no New Zealand) navigate a bizarre range of
    > accounts and pages that lead you to believe they are going to send you QT to
    > a physical address. I decided against it after all.
    >
    > But now, on another 'clean' computer I decide to surf that webpage again.
    > Now I get a message "Do I want to update my QT player to V7.5" .
    > Unfortunately at this stage QT sends IE to 99% and I can't even get Task
    > Manager to retain focus for long enough to kill QT or IE. Finally did, by
    > running Taskmgr from Run menu. Killing QT closed the IE instance.
    >
    > Had to run QT separate and kill the "Automagically check for updates" so I
    > can do anything.

    Yes, quicktime is shit, like apples other software for window.

    Cant even fullscreen it without paying them. Usually only used by
    bonehead designers that only ever work in their isolated world on a mac
    and dont test on other platforms.

    Find quicktime alternative, its a codec pack that makes windows media
    player handle some of the files, and send an email to the website owner
    telling them you cant watch the video and suggesting they host it on
    vimeo or put up a different version, say a windows media file to cater
    to most pc users.

    Richard, Jul 25, 2008

  2. Richard wrote:

    > Cant even fullscreen it without paying them. Usually only used by
    > bonehead designers that only ever work in their isolated world on a mac
    > and dont test on other platforms.

    Yes you can, they changed the full screen restriction a few versions back

    Jason Fanning, Jul 26, 2008

  3. In article <238dc$488a6c09$59645a38$>, Jason Fanning did
    write:

    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Cant even fullscreen it without paying them.

    > Yes you can, they changed the full screen restriction a few versions back

    And no doubt made you feel so grateful for their magnanimity.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 26, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <238dc$488a6c09$59645a38$>, Jason Fanning did
    > write:
    >
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Cant even fullscreen it without paying them.

    >> Yes you can, they changed the full screen restriction a few versions back

    > And no doubt made you feel so grateful for their magnanimity.

    Um no it didn't, I was just pointing something out

    Jason Fanning, Jul 26, 2008
  5. In article <1217130187.828780@ftpsrv1>, Richard did write:

    > Im not going to install it again to check, since it never removed
    > properly and left all the plugins present even tho the player was
    > removed so it wouldnt use the alternate players till I dicked about
    > deleting plugin files and reg keys ...

    Ah, typical closed-source software-developer attitude: why would you ever
    want to uninstall our wonderful product?

    An attitude that permeates the entire Dimdows ecosystem...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 27, 2008
  6. Richard

    impossible Guest

    > In article <1217130187.828780@ftpsrv1>, Richard did write:
    >
    >> Im not going to install it again to check, since it never removed
    >> properly and left all the plugins present even tho the player was
    >> removed so it wouldnt use the alternate players till I dicked about
    >> deleting plugin files and reg keys ...

    > Ah, typical closed-source software-developer attitude: why would you ever
    > want to uninstall our wonderful product?

    Nah, Richard is just complaining because he mindlessly clicked his way
    through an uninstall program that proceedced then to follow his instructions
    exactly. Later, he went back and decided to think about the uninstallation
    choices Apple provided him, and all was well.

    impossible, Jul 27, 2008
  7. Richard

    impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:

    >>> In article <1217130187.828780@ftpsrv1>, Richard did write:

    >>> Ah, typical closed-source software-developer attitude: why would you
    >>> ever
    >>> want to uninstall our wonderful product?
    >>>

    >> Nah, Richard is just complaining because he mindlessly clicked his way
    >> through an uninstall program that proceedced then to follow his
    >> instructions exactly. Later, he went back and decided to think about the
    >> uninstallation choices Apple provided him, and all was well.

    > No, I removed it and it didnt take the plugins away, so when a mp3 or
    > other file that the the plugin tried to play I got messaes about
    > reinstalling quicktime.

    Don't blame Apple just because you didn't take care to specify that
    Quicktime would only run *.mov and other such QT-specific formats. In any
    case, the program you intended to run your mp3's should have has an option
    to reassign the mp3 format.

    impossible, Jul 28, 2008
  8. Richard

    impossible Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >>
    >> Don't blame Apple just because you didn't take care to specify that
    >> Quicktime would only run *.mov and other such QT-specific formats. In
    >> any case, the program you intended to run your mp3's should have has
    >> an option to reassign the mp3 format.

    > Who said anything about MP3s ?

    of context is a no-no unless you're Larry D'Loser or Freesias/CupaApee and
    you don't want anyone to know what somone realy said.

    > The difficulty I was alluding to, apart from the whacky 'update' thing,
    > was the process of 'simply' buying a reg code to update to 'Pro', being
    > confronted/swamped by zillions of unrelated iProducts, and the purchase
    > procedure that seemed far to complicated and uncertain of the desired
    > outcome, as well as the seeming denial of the existance of New Zealand..

    What exactly is your problem? You want to upgrade to QT Pro, so so you go
    here:

    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

    You click "Upgrade Now.." then "Add to cart" and then "check out now" .
    Create an account, supply a credit card, and you're done.

    impossible, Jul 28, 2008
  9. In article <>, geoff did write:

    > The difficulty I was alluding to, apart from the whacky 'update' thing,
    > was the process of 'simply' buying a reg code to update to 'Pro', being
    > confronted/swamped by zillions of unrelated iProducts, and the purchase
    > procedure that seemed far to complicated and uncertain of the desired
    > outcome, as well as the seeming denial of the existance of New Zealand..

    Typical Dimdows crapware.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 28, 2008
  10. Richard

    impossible Guest

    > In article <>, geoff did
    > write:
    >
    >> The difficulty I was alluding to, apart from the whacky 'update' thing,
    >> was the process of 'simply' buying a reg code to update to 'Pro', being
    >> confronted/swamped by zillions of unrelated iProducts, and the purchase
    >> procedure that seemed far to complicated and uncertain of the desired
    >> outcome, as well as the seeming denial of the existance of New Zealand..

    > Typical Dimdows crapware.

    Psst! Your needle's stuck, Larry.

    impossible, Jul 28, 2008
  11. In article <>, geoff did write:

    > Not quite that straightforward I'm afraid.At least
    > 6 pages of contradictory, cluttered, and unsettling crap to wade through,
    > and even then you are not even sure that you will be downloading anything
    > or waiting for the snail-mail system.

    Closed-source EULAs have become so complicated and confusing that it seems
    nobody understands them, not even the companies that try to impose them on
    you <http://techdirt.com/articles/20080327/142910668.shtml>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 29, 2008