Re: Is DVD Sell-Through Coming To An End?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by T.D. Shadow, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. T.D. Shadow

    T.D. Shadow Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:16:57 GMT, keved
    <> wrote:

    >BTW: The official spelling was Divx, the official logo styling was DIVX.

    This part, I knew.

    >The codec is DivX for both the spelling and logo styling.

    I thought the ORIGINAL codec was spelled DivX ;-)

    (Big "D", little "iv", big "X", space, semicolon, dash, and
    closed-parentheses)

    This was how I always saw the hacked-Microsoft codec spelled.

    It wasn't until the OpenDivX movement introduced a
    rewritten-from-the-ground-up-from-scratch codec did I see it spelled
    without the three bits of punctuation at the end (and often the "X"
    was lower case).

    What is the official spelling of the codec?

    --

    ---

    Theodore David Shadow <>

    T.D. Shadow, Aug 4, 2003

  2. T.D. Shadow

    Impmon Guest

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 01:47:50 GMT, T.D. Shadow <>
    typed:

    >>BTW: The official spelling was Divx, the official logo styling was DIVX.

    >This part, I knew.
    >
    >>The codec is DivX for both the spelling and logo styling.

    >I thought the ORIGINAL codec was spelled DivX ;-)
    >
    >(Big "D", little "iv", big "X", space, semicolon, dash, and
    >closed-parentheses)

    [snip]

    The codec is spelled DivX, the previous post was talking about the
    failed program 6 years ago called Divx (or DIVX) that was like DVD but
    you buy the disk and either they're used a few times before it's
    destroyed or you pay per view. It was a substitute to rental service
    where you don't have to return the disc.
    --
    All viruses and spams are automatically removed by my ISP before
    reaching my inbox.

    Impmon, Aug 4, 2003