Re: Is Anchor Bay 2nd Best After Criterion ?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Arthur Lipscomb, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. Black Locust wrote:

    > In article <310820031220225669%>,
    > Max Volume <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hell no! Anchor Bay is at the opposite end of the spectrum. Netflix
    > > foisted the "Anchor Bay" release of Time Bandits on me, and it was more
    > > "bare bones" than the standard version you'd find at retail.
    > >
    > > Think of Anchor Bay as store-brand soda -- the package may look
    > > similar, but it's a poor copy of the original.

    > That's a bit harsh. AB has a pretty mixed track record, but they're in
    > no way at the opposite end of the spectrum. For a big horror fan like
    > myself, AB are still a wet dream come true. Their new Divimax version of
    > Day of the Dead kicks the shit out of the old bare bones version. One of
    > my favorite vampire flicks, Near Dark(very underrated gem) may have
    > never even been released on DVD if it wasn't for them. And they gave it
    > a two disc treatment with a great transfer, director commentary, a brand
    > new 47 minute documentary, a deleted scene, trailers, storyboards and
    > galleries. How is that a poor copy of the original? We should be
    > thankful Anchor Bay is around to reissue rare, cult classics on DVD that
    > might not othewise ever see the light of day. Don't let a blooper like
    > Time Bandits shape your opinion of AB's entire catalog.

    Preach on.
    Besides, Anchor Bay release be releaseing a Divimax version of Time
    Bandits...

    Arthur Lipscomb, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Arthur Lipscomb

    Black Locust Guest

    Black Locust, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Arthur Lipscomb

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <>, Black
    Locust <> wrote:

    > Don't let a blooper like
    > Time Bandits shape your opinion of AB's entire catalog.

    Well, they don't seem to handle the kind of fare I'm interested in, but
    I'll keep an eye out for their stuff. Blood-sucking zombies aren't my
    kind of thing, but I'm all about having a bunch of extras, and if
    no-one else is offering certain titles on DVD, of course that's another
    tale entirely.
    Max Volume, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Arthur Lipscomb

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <>, Arthur Lipscomb
    <> wrote:

    > Besides, Anchor Bay release be releaseing a Divimax version of Time
    > Bandits...

    Divimax? Hmm, sounds too much like DIVX (or DivX) to me. What exactly
    is this supposed to offer, and in what way would this be desirable
    considering there is already a Criterion edition?
    Max Volume, Sep 1, 2003
  5. Max Volume wrote:

    > In article <>, Arthur Lipscomb
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Besides, Anchor Bay release be releaseing a Divimax version of Time
    > > Bandits...

    > Divimax? Hmm, sounds too much like DIVX (or DivX) to me. What exactly
    > is this supposed to offer, and in what way would this be desirable
    > considering there is already a Criterion edition?

    From DavisDVD:
    "The two-disc Time Bandits will feature a brand-new DiviMax anamorphic
    transfer, new interviews with Gilliam and writer/star Michael Palin,
    trailers, the screenplay and a 60-minute Gilliam career retrospective."
    Arthur Lipscomb, Sep 1, 2003
  6. Arthur Lipscomb

    dougb Guest

    Max Volume <> wrote in message news:<010920030244311540%>...
    > In article <>, Arthur Lipscomb
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Besides, Anchor Bay release be releaseing a Divimax version of Time
    > > Bandits...

    > Divimax? Hmm, sounds too much like DIVX (or DivX) to me. What exactly
    > is this supposed to offer, and in what way would this be desirable
    > considering there is already a Criterion edition?

    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, if it's like the R2 release it
    would be anamorphic, with more extras than the (dare I say it)
    overpriced Criterion release. AB had a revised Time Bandits on their
    release schedule earlier this year and then postponed it. I guess
    they had other plans for it.

    But what exactly is a "Divimax version"? It DOES sound too much like
    DivX. . .
    dougb, Sep 1, 2003
  7. Arthur Lipscomb

    dougb Guest

    (dougb) wrote in message news:<>...

    > But what exactly is a "Divimax version"? It DOES sound too much like
    > DivX. . .

    Answering my own question, it's some transfer process from hi-def
    masters that AB has used on a few earlier titles as well. "Time
    Bandits" is listed on their website as coming in a 2-disc special
    edition in Spring 2004. I hope it has at least all the stuff on the
    R2 disc +++++.
    dougb, Sep 1, 2003
  8. Arthur Lipscomb

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    (dougb) wrote:

    > But what exactly is a "Divimax version"? It DOES sound too much like
    > DivX. . .

    It stands for "Digital Video to the Max." I don't know much about it,
    but I can only assume it's something similar to a Superbit DVD.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Sep 2, 2003
  9. Arthur Lipscomb

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <>, Black Locust
    <> wrote:

    > It stands for "Digital Video to the Max."

    Oh, great. You know, there are SOME things from the '80s we'd prefer
    not to re-live. I mean, like, gag me with a spoon...
    Max Volume, Sep 2, 2003
  10. Arthur Lipscomb

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <>, Arthur Lipscomb
    <> wrote:

    > From DavisDVD:
    > "The two-disc Time Bandits will feature a brand-new DiviMax anamorphic
    > transfer, new interviews with Gilliam and writer/star Michael Palin,
    > trailers, the screenplay and a 60-minute Gilliam career retrospective."

    Great, I'll be looking for it. I'll still probably pick up the
    Criterion version, though.

    I can't say I agree with the comment that Criterion discs are
    overpriced, because although it is a little odd paying $39.99 for a
    single disc (Monty Python's "Life of Brian"), they did manage to
    squeeze a lot on that disc, and the "Pythons" documentary is worth the
    price all by itself. Such a shame that the bloated "Fear And Loathing
    In Las Vegas" set is actually cheaper than the single-disc "...Brian",
    though.
    Max Volume, Sep 2, 2003