Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 16, 2009.

  1. Bruno HRUST wrote:

    > Or is there fundamentally wrong with my laptop and could be rectified?

    You could fix the time setting on it.

    It might be so busy trying to post in the future that it is confused...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 16, 2009

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Gordon Guest

    Bruno HRUST wrote:
    >> Bruno HRUST wrote:
    >>
    >>> Or is there fundamentally wrong with my laptop and could be rectified?

    >> You could fix the time setting on it.
    >>
    >> It might be so busy trying to post in the future that it is confused...
    >>
    >> --
    >> -bts
    >> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

    > Few people have told me the same about the time; I have time set OK, and am
    > puzzled by comments.

    The TIME may be OK - your Time ZONE is probably not.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    Gordon, Mar 16, 2009

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Mike Easter Guest

    Bruno HRUST wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"

    >> You could fix the time setting on it.
    >>
    >> It might be so busy trying to post in the future that it is confused...
    >>
    >> --
    >> -bts
    >> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

    You are bottom posting under BTS sig which should have been trimmed.
    Since your OE doesn't autotrim sigs, it is your (netiquette)
    'responsibility' to do it manually.

    > Few people have told me the same about the time; I have time set OK,
    > and am puzzled by comments.

    <BH headers>
    Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 23:03:20 -0700
    </BH headers>

    The NPD above was stamped by your newsprovider. The Date was stamped by
    your newsreader based on your system clock setting.

    Your newsprovider knows that the time/date of your posting is about Mon
    15:00 UTC; whereas your system clock setting is about Tue 06:00 UTC (15
    hours in the future) -- or about 11 PM Monday localtime someplace with a 7
    hours west of UTC offset.

    11 PM Monday in a place 7 hours west of UTC has not yet occurred. Given
    that your system clock is set 15 hours into the future, is hard to guess
    how many things are set wrong. Perhaps you have a combination of the
    wrong timezone offset as well as a mistaken AM/PM setting.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 16, 2009
  4. Bruno HRUST wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Bruno HRUST wrote:
    >>> Or is there fundamentally wrong with my laptop and could be
    >>> rectified?

    >> You could fix the time setting on it.
    >>
    >> It might be so busy trying to post in the future that it is
    >> confused...
    >>
    >> [following untrimmed for illustration]
    >> --
    >> -bts
    >> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

    Your 'newsreader' doesn't know how to trim properly delimited signature
    blocks. You could:
    Good: do that manually
    Better: consider using an add-on called OE-Quotefix ^1
    Best: get a real newsreader

    > Few people have told me the same about the time; I have time set OK,
    > and am puzzled by comments.

    This post of yours I am replying to says you sent it on 17 March at
    02:03AM. That is tomorrow morning for me. I think Mr. Easter is correct.
    You may have, for example, Pacific Daylight Time instead of Eastern
    Daylight Time, and PM instead of AM.

    For those of us who sort groups by Subject Line Plus Date, all of your
    posts come *after* the responses to them. Makes it confusing.

    ^1. http://www.insideoe.com/resources/tools.htm#oequotefix

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 16, 2009
  5. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Mike Easter Guest

    Bruno HRUST wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> You are bottom posting under BTS sig which should have been trimmed.
    >> Since your OE doesn't autotrim sigs, it is your (netiquette)
    >> 'responsibility' to do it manually.

    >> Your newsprovider knows that the time/date of your posting is about Mon
    >> 15:00 UTC; whereas your system clock setting is about Tue 06:00 UTC

    <notice that I'm trimming to context your remark, but that I'm leaving my
    sig you left to illustrate a point>

    Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 00:51:38 +0800

    I see that you are now saying that it is just after midnight Tue your
    localtime which is apparently someplace 8 hours east of UTC, such as
    western .au, the .ph, or .id (Indonesia, Philippines, Australia) or
    perhaps China.

    Now it would be nice to get you into trimming before you reply.

    See this illustration http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q3: Why
    shouldn't I quote the entire posting that I'm responding to?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 16, 2009
  6. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Gordon Guest

    Bruno HRUST wrote:

    > I hope that now will be OK.

    Looks OK here.. :)

    Gordon, Mar 16, 2009
  7. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:22:03 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Closer look does show him posting in the future. But only by a few
    >hours.
    >So he hadn't reset for DST for a few years.

    Wow... So not 'resetting' for DST (whatever resetting is) would cause
    you to be off by 'a few hours?

    Think about it.

    Seriously.
    Evan Platt, Mar 16, 2009