Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PeeCee, Mar 16, 2009.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote in message

    > I am seldom in my apartment (where I have my desktop) and have a lot of
    > work to do when out of my apartment; usually I am out for three months and
    > then in for a little while then out again and so on. I take my work load
    > with me, wherever I go, on portable storage, my laptop etc. Now, it seems
    > that my laptop, even though faster, bigger RAM and hard drive than my
    > desktop, cannot cope and is very often down (I have an other laptop of
    > similar specifications as a spare one for the very reason to be able to
    > continue working until this, that I like, is fixed). Now is OK, but needs
    > defragging all the time, that takes a lot of time and slows the computer.
    > I am considering to buy an ordinary desktop PC, because I think that a
    > laptop (of whatever capacity) is no match to desktop PC. Or is there
    > fundamentally wrong with my laptop and could be rectified? Please help.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Bruno.

    Bruno

    Out of the various posts above I picked up a couple of thing that suggests
    to me where your problems lay.
    " 10GB (as came originally with the laptop)" ....suggests the laptop is a
    rather old one.
    "he told me that my laptop, which is Celeron, is good" ....Good but
    unfortunately Celerons are not 'fast'
    So I sense you have an older Laptop with a Celeron CPU, most likely with
    limited RAM.
    This is not a good recipie for a speedy computer.

    If this is true the best solution is to buy a new Laptop.

    Some questions:
    You don't say what version of windows you are using, is it ME/2000/XP?
    In would be helpful if you could open the System applet in Control Panel and
    post the CPU, RAM and OS specifications.
    What do you mean by your partners computer uses a language you do not
    understand? English, French, Mongolian?
    or do you mean XP or Vista?

    If you do look at a new machine you might like to consider the following:
    Dollar for dollar a Desktop will allways outperform a Laptop, however that
    is not to say a good Laptop will not do what you want.
    Any Windows machine works best with lots of RAM.
    Current opinion is the Intel Core 2 Duo's are the best CPU's
    Buy a Laptop with dedicated Graphics rather than onboard.
    (true for desktops to)

    best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Mar 16, 2009

  2. PeeCee

    thanatoid Guest

    "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    [With all due respect to DadiOH's info, it is really irrelevant
    to you unless you do fancy CAD work, video editing or something.
    It'd be easier to advise you if we knew what you do on the
    computer. Your specs sound more than sufficient to me.]

    > I must admit that I have inadvertently misled you buy
    > omitting to tell that the hard drive was partitioned, to
    > C:, D:, E: and F: and that the part C:\ had 10GB of 120GB.

    You did not mislead, he can't read. It was crystal clear.

    > It had 1GB RAM (which is now upgraded to 2GB) and Celeron
    > 1.87 GHz CPU. The OS is WINDOWS XP Professional.

    More than enough for anything.

    > I do
    > intend to buy desktop PC, because I can see that my
    > partner's desktop is much faster with poorer specifications
    > (which are: 1 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz CPU and 90 GB hard drive),
    > somehow faster than mine.

    Do the clean up I suggested and your machine will be just as
    fast.
    I know it's a lot of work but it's worth it, and a new laptop
    will be a year of nightmares (probably including warranty
    service) which will NOT be any fun.

    > Do you have any suggestions about motherboard? And Graphic
    > cards too?

    Stick with what you have until it DIES.

    I still have a 1997 166MHz computer and it can do everything
    except convert music at a reasonable speed or edit video. And it
    till runs perfectly well. Faster than your partner's computer ,
    too, I bet.

    Anyway, WHAT do you do with your computer? You MAY need a 4 GHz
    dual core and a $300 graphics card but I ///seriously/// doubt
    it.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Mar 16, 2009

  3. PeeCee

> [...]

    >> Any Windows machine works best with lots of RAM.
    >> Current opinion is the Intel Core 2 Duo's are the best CPU's
    >> Buy a Laptop with dedicated Graphics rather than onboard.
    >> (true for desktops to)
    >>
    >> best
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > Paul,
    >
    > I must admit that I have inadvertently misled you buy omitting to tell
    > that the hard drive was partitioned, to C:, D:, E: and F: and that the
    > part C:\ had 10GB of 120GB. It had 1GB RAM (which is now upgraded to 2GB)
    > and Celeron 1.87 GHz CPU. The OS is WINDOWS XP Professional. I do intend
    > to buy desktop PC, because I can see that my partner's desktop is much
    > faster with poorer specifications (which are: 1 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz CPU and 90
    > GB hard drive), somehow faster than mine.
    >
    > Do you have any suggestions about motherboard? And Graphic cards too?

    Bruno

    Motherboards:
    Many options, but Asus, Gigabyte and Intel are IMHO the brands to look at.
    However there are many other brands to consider and all have their
    advocates.
    Which model of course depends on your budget and particular needs.
    For example how many PCI slots do you want, need Firewire & eSata?, do you
    need legacy floppy support? etc.
    Which chipset? for example Via and SIS are reguarded as budget chipsets
    whereas Intels X series of chipsets are bleeding edge overclockers
    territory.

    Toms Hardware has some in depth tests of motherboards
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/Motherboards,2/
    which while technical can give you an idea of what might suit you.
    Go straight to the conclusions page for an overview and start shortlisitng
    from there.

    Graphics cards:
    Some will say onboard graphics are perfectly OK, however unless you are a
    real hunt and peck typist and play nothing more demanding than Windows
    Solitaire then you will be disappointed unless you get a PCIe Graphics card.
    A 'reasonable' compromise is something around $US 1-200.00

    Having said that though it really depends on what you are doing.
    Example: a client of mine complained continually about how slow his PC was.
    Couldn't find any thing wrong until I asked him to show me 'how' he felt it
    was slow.
    His benchmark turned out to be how he could see each sub window open when he
    called up a client's details from his client database.
    "All the other PC's open instantly whereas mine opens slowly"
    All the other PC's (older XP boxes) had a Graphics Card his didn't (Vista)
    Fixed it instantly with a $US75 PCIe Graphics card.

    Speed vs Specification:
    Interesting you find your partners PC faster even though it's 'poorer' spec.
    Unfortunately there are specifications and there is the truth.
    CPU = 1.6GHZ. A 1.6 Celeron can't compete with a 1.6 Core 2 duo so 'what'
    CPU is more important that GHZ these days.
    1GB of Ram vs your 2GB = is his DDR2 and your DDR?, is his 2 x modules so
    double data rate (DDR) is enabled?
    And probably of more importance what software is loaded, how many startup
    programs are there, what is your Anti Virus (eg Norton is well know for
    slowing PC's down) etc.
    90GB HD vs your 120GB = As long as the OS has about 2GB of 'free' HD space
    the size and content of the hard drive is not going to make beggar all
    difference. Is his HD 7200 RPM with 8MB cache and yours 5200 RPM and 1MB
    cache?
    What other 'spec' on your partners PC isn't mentioned, does it have a
    Graphics card, is it a faster chipset?

    Unfortunately relying on 'numbers' is not as good as spending the time
    researching what is best bang for buck.

    BTW
    AMD and Intel are competing brands of CPU
    AMD produce the Sempron (budget) Athlon and Phenom models of CPU with
    various speed/price points.
    Intel produce the Celeron (budget) Pentium, Xeon models of CPU again with
    various speed/price points.
    AMD's give you better bang for buck, but Intels (currently) have the
    performance crown but you pay for it.

    At the end of the day it's your $ your choice.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Mar 16, 2009
  4. Bruno HRUST wrote:
> [...]

    >> Any Windows machine works best with lots of RAM.
    >> Current opinion is the Intel Core 2 Duo's are the best CPU's
    >> Buy a Laptop with dedicated Graphics rather than onboard.
    >> (true for desktops to)
    >>
    >> best
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > Paul,
    >
    > I must admit that I have inadvertently misled you buy omitting to tell that
    > the hard drive was partitioned, to C:, D:, E: and F: and that the part C:\
    > had 10GB of 120GB. It had 1GB RAM (which is now upgraded to 2GB) and Celeron
    > 1.87 GHz CPU. The OS is WINDOWS XP Professional. I do intend to buy desktop
    > PC, because I can see that my partner's desktop is much faster with poorer
    > specifications (which are: 1 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz CPU and 90 GB hard drive),
    > somehow faster than mine.
    >
    > Do you have any suggestions about motherboard? And Graphic cards too?

    Sure. Get a Apple laptop and you'll never have to worry about virus or
    trojans infecting your computer.

    They cost more but they last longer and if you buy a top of the line
    model you wont have to replace it for five years or so :)

    HTH

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com
    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 16, 2009
  5. PeeCee

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <gpmjb8$vc8$> §ñühw¤£f <>
    was claimed to have wrote:

    >Sure. Get a Apple laptop and you'll never have to worry about virus or
    >trojans infecting your computer.

    For degrees of "never" that extend as long as Apple machines stay in
    relative obscurity.

    Oh, this also assumes you feel like replacing all of your software.
    DevilsPGD, Mar 17, 2009
  6. PeeCee

    thanatoid Guest

    "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote in

    >>> It had 1GB RAM (which is now upgraded to 2GB) and Celeron
    >>> 1.87 GHz CPU. The OS is WINDOWS XP Professional.

    >> More than enough for anything.

    MORE THAN ENOUGH FOR ANYTHING.

    >> Anyway, WHAT do you do with your computer? You MAY need a
    >> 4 GHz dual core and a $300 graphics card but I
    >> ///seriously/// doubt it.

    > I am usualy writing, using the wordprocessor, but at the
    > same time I am streched from researching many different
    > accounts; must open many sites at the same time, and some
    > of them have very sensitive expiration time of their
    > cookies (where even my typing skill is questionable and
    > must concentrate on what I am doing); when the machine
    > slows down for some reason (either because of Internet or
    > computer is slow) then I am doomed. Not only my day is
    > ruined, but the whole work become useless. Therefore, I
    > would like to buy something good.

    You don't need anything more than what you have. You just have
    to clean up the mess. And you should make copies of things. But
    FIRST clean up the awful mess that is now your C partition.
    Like I posted before.

    AFA cookies etc., I delete ALL cookies after every browser
    session and it has never caused me ANY inconvenience. Many
    people do the same.

    I also delete all caches.

    I also use OffByOne (www.offbyone.com) which doesn't even HAVE a
    cache, it's all memory, and ONE cookies file. It's the safest,
    fastest browser there is, and I bet you could run 20 windows of
    it on your machine.

    It has its limitations (no Java, no flash, no css) but many
    sites still believe in keeping things simple. When I need to go
    to my bank or something, I use Opera.

    AFA "word processors" you should get NoteTabLight or UltraEdit
    and do all your word processing in text only and only dump it
    into Word (it IS, Word isn't it?) when you are DONE with it and
    ready to spell check and format.

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  7. PeeCee

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-17, Bruno HRUST <> wrote:
    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote in

    [...]

    > I am usualy writing, using the wordprocessor, but at the same time I am
    > streched from researching many different accounts; must open many sites at
    > the same time, and some of them have very sensitive expiration time of their
    > cookies (where even my typing skill is questionable and must concentrate on
    > what I am doing); when the machine slows down for some reason (either
    > because of Internet or computer is slow) then I am doomed. Not only my day
    > is ruined, but the whole work become useless. Therefore, I would like to buy
    > something good.

    All you /need/ then, is a web browser that can manage multiple 'tabs' &/or
    multiple windows, and some sort of text editor program. Even the most
    basic 'web book' or 'sub-notebook' could manage that (although you might
    want a CPU with a bit more oomph than a MIPS if you frequent web sites
    that require 'Flash' or large 'javascripts'). As has already been pointed
    out, a 'word processor' is severe overkill for just entering text - but
    some are 'lighter' than others.

    An 'economy' system with the graphics and sound built into the motherboard
    should be perfectly adequate.

    Some discretion and sense about which web pages you keep open, could make
    a big difference to the performance of the machine. There are web sites
    that can overwhelm even quite powerful machines sometimes.

    If you must use a Windows system, choose your anti-virus, anti-adware,
    firewall, etc, programs with care and configure them so that they don't
    keep hogging the system but do stop malware from dodgy websites (and
    incoming email, if you use email on that machine). Others can give you
    better advice than I can about that - I use Linux.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 17, 2009
  8. DevilsPGD wrote:
    > In message <gpmjb8$vc8$> §ñühw¤£f <>
    > was claimed to have wrote:
    >
    >> Sure. Get a Apple laptop and you'll never have to worry about virus or
    >> trojans infecting your computer.

    > For degrees of "never" that extend as long as Apple machines stay in
    > relative obscurity.

    Its only a matter of market share then?
    CITE?

    > Oh, this also assumes you feel like replacing all of your software.

    Analogs to M$ apps exist, fyi.

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 17, 2009
  9. PeeCee

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <gpp1t0$ttg$> §ñühw¤£f <>
    was claimed to have wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >> In message <gpmjb8$vc8$> §ñühw¤£f <>
    >> was claimed to have wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sure. Get a Apple laptop and you'll never have to worry about virus or
    >>> trojans infecting your computer.

    >> For degrees of "never" that extend as long as Apple machines stay in
    >> relative obscurity.
    >>

    >Its only a matter of market share then?
    >CITE?

    Business 101.

    With limited development resources, do you develop for 85% of your
    target audience, 10% or the various 1%s that make up the rest?

    >> Oh, this also assumes you feel like replacing all of your software.

    >Analogs to M$ apps exist, fyi.

    Right. Like I said, you can either replace all your software, or run
    Windows on your Mac.
    DevilsPGD, Mar 19, 2009
  10. PeeCee

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> DevilsPGD
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >In message <gpp1t0$ttg$> §ñühw¤£f <>
    >was claimed to have wrote:
    >
    >>DevilsPGD wrote:

    >>> For degrees of "never" that extend as long as Apple machines stay in
    >>> relative obscurity.
    >>>

    >>Its only a matter of market share then?
    >>CITE?

    >Business 101.
    >
    >With limited development resources, do you develop for 85% of your
    >target audience, 10% or the various 1%s that make up the rest?

    It's also not as though OSX is an impossible target, for the second year
    in a row, OSX fell first. http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2917
    DevilsPGD, Mar 19, 2009