Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 16, 2009.

  1. Bruno HRUST wrote:

    First, to elaborate on the subject: no, it isn't - without a added keyboard
    and monitor to put into ergonomical position, you don't want to work 8
    hours a day on a laptop.

    > I am seldom in my apartment (where I have my desktop) and have a lot of
    > work to do when out of my apartment; usually I am out for three months and
    > then in for a little while then out again and so on. I take my work load
    > with me, wherever I go, on portable storage, my laptop etc. Now, it seems
    > that my laptop, even though faster, bigger RAM and hard drive than my
    > desktop, cannot cope and is very often down (I have an other laptop of

    "down" ... does that refer to zombified, infested, slow as molasses?
    *How* do you fix it? Do you update windows, have firewall engaged, virus
    scanner and malware protection?
    But beware, running 2 or 3 "firewalls" or on-access virus scanners, or
    a "internet security solution" together with another firewall/virus
    scanner, may even reduce security as well as slowing down your system.

    > similar specifications as a spare one for the very reason to be able to
    > continue working until this, that I like, is fixed). Now is OK, but needs
    > defragging all the time, that takes a lot of time and slows the computer.

    Defragging should either be done on a weekly schedule (will take a lunch
    break except the first time) or every 3 months - may take a few hours then.

    > I am considering to buy an ordinary desktop PC, because I think that a
    > laptop (of whatever capacity) is no match to desktop PC. Or is there
    > fundamentally wrong with my laptop and could be rectified? Please help.

    Sometimes laptop harddrives don't die in an instant, they become slower and
    slower (multiple tries to read a sector) long before they quit.

    You may be "fixing" windows by reinstalling all the time, but miss some
    driver and have the laptop run in sort of a "legacy mode" with impacts on
    performance.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 16, 2009

  2. wisdomkiller & pain

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-16, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:
    > Bruno HRUST wrote:
    >
    > First, to elaborate on the subject: no, it isn't - without a added keyboard
    > and monitor to put into ergonomical position, you don't want to work 8
    > hours a day on a laptop.

    [...]

    My own experience is that a large (17" or bigger) laptop with a genuinely
    'full size' keyboard, is perfectly usable for long periods. It just needs
    to be put onto a firm support with the keyboard tilted up both to raise the
    screen to a better height and to make typing easier. That also helps to
    overcome the heat problem, of course. In hot weather, an additional
    'laptop cooler' sitting under the laptop can increase the airflow through
    the machine - and in any case, you need to make sure the cooling ducts and
    fans are all clean and working properly.

    The table, desk, or laptop stand, should be at a comfortable height so
    that you can type without strain, and your chair should allow you to sit
    upright and on a firm seat.

    You may need to consider spectacles to allow you to focus comfortably on
    the screen at the "arm's length" distance that you'll find suits typing.
    Try not to slouch, and do take frequent breaks - as you would if using a
    conventional 'desktop' or 'terminal' or 'workstation' arrangement of
    course.

    Such a machine barely qualifies as a 'laptop'; think of it as a portable
    computer. Battery life will almost certainly be pathetic, and you'll
    probably want a seperate trackball or mouse or graphics tablet - and some
    means of disabling the touchpad while typing (mine has a handy push-button
    next to the touchpad - one of the features that led me to buy it).

    I'm using an HP Pavilion zd7000 machine right now; it's my main computer.
    17" 1440x900 display, 3.2 MHz P4 HT processor, 512 MB RAM. Mandriva
    2008.0 Linux (with XFCe4 desktop). This machine is fine for handling text
    documents, and of course email usenet and The Web; it's also perfectly
    adequate for image manipulation - but probably not for movie editing. It
    has been in daily use for a few years - I forget how many, but the
    markings on the keys are half worn off and the parts of the casing that I
    handle are polished smooth with use, and down to the bare metal or plastic
    in places. It's heavy enough to make sure I don't move it unless I have
    to! Definitely not a coffee-shop or commuter-train machine.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 16, 2009

  3. Bruno HRUST wrote:

    > "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> Bruno HRUST wrote:
    >>
    >> First, to elaborate on the subject: no, it isn't - without a added
    >> keyboard
    >> and monitor to put into ergonomical position, you don't want to work 8
    >> hours a day on a laptop.

    > And I need to have the computer on all the time, regardless operating or
    > idle. I did add a keyboard to it, but it was worse than that one on the
    > laptop, and have made it environment as good as possible; but in the end
    > it suffered and collapsed frequently, ending up with the blue screen
    > notice.

    Old laptops can make nice low-power servers with the benefit of a included
    USV for free - even a worn-out accumulator will at least supply enough
    power for a clean shutdown. But then, it depends. Some laptops will run hot
    and have reduced lifetime.

    >> But beware, running 2 or 3 "firewalls" or on-access virus scanners, or
    >> a "internet security solution" together with another firewall/virus
    >> scanner, may even reduce security as well as slowing down your system.

    > And this is exactly what happened.

    You mean, your computer was "self-sufficient" in the end? ;-)
    > That was exactly what was going on for a long time: two files were missing
    > and I could not reinstall them.
    > Please read my previous reply to the other friend, and I would be grateful
    > if you could give me some advice about building a new computer, desktop PC

    That's all about knowledge or convenience and mostly experience - from
    yourself or your next computer savvy friend/neighbor/admin@w0rkplace.
    I must tell, I use a (2 year old) amd64x2/5600 dualcore on a msi board. Not
    state-of-the-art anymore, but runs quite nice with linux here.
    Actually, these days, unless you want vista bloat, you'll have a hard time
    finding XP drivers for a lot of brand-new hardware. And, you won't get it
    preinstalled from the vendor.
    Therefore, with hardware that's not banana ware anymore, you may have a
    really nice and painless linux install while digging for XP drivers makes
    you grind your teeth.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 17, 2009