Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DevilsPGD, Mar 16, 2009.

  1. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Bruno HRUST"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >I am seldom in my apartment (where I have my desktop) and have a lot of work
    >to do when out of my apartment; usually I am out for three months and then
    >in for a little while then out again and so on. I take my work load with me,
    >wherever I go, on portable storage, my laptop etc. Now, it seems that my
    >laptop, even though faster, bigger RAM and hard drive than my desktop,
    >cannot cope and is very often down (I have an other laptop of similar
    >specifications as a spare one for the very reason to be able to continue
    >working until this, that I like, is fixed).

    Define: "Down" -- What do you mean your laptop is "very often down"?

    >Now is OK, but needs defragging
    >all the time, that takes a lot of time and slows the computer.

    What makes you think it needs defragging? What sort of activity are you
    performing that causes fragmentation?

    >I am
    >considering to buy an ordinary desktop PC, because I think that a laptop (of
    >whatever capacity) is no match to desktop PC. Or is there fundamentally
    >wrong with my laptop and could be rectified? Please help.

    There isn't any real fundamental difference between a desktop or laptop
    beyond form factor, although laptops tend to prefer power savings over
    performance.

    One consideration is that laptop drives tend to be slower, 5400rpm or
    less is typical whereas a desktop will normally have a 7200rpm drive and
    faster is available.
    DevilsPGD, Mar 16, 2009

  2. DevilsPGD

    thanatoid Guest

    "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote in

    > "DevilsPGD" <> wrote in message
    >> In message <>
    >> "Bruno HRUST" <> was claimed to
    >> have wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am seldom in my apartment (where I have my desktop) and
    >>>have a lot of work
    >>>to do when out of my apartment; usually I am out for three
    >>>months and then in for a little while then out again and
    >>>so on. I take my work load with me,
    >>>wherever I go, on portable storage, my laptop etc. Now, it
    >>>seems that my laptop, even though faster, bigger RAM and
    >>>hard drive than my desktop, cannot cope and is very often
    >>>down (I have an other laptop of similar specifications as
    >>>a spare one for the very reason to be able to continue
    >>>working until this, that I like, is fixed).

    I bet you have a huge ass C partition and maybe a D partition
    with "restore files (including the all-important AOL
    subscription offer and other advertisements).

    Make a backup of what matters.

    Format and partition the drive into 2-5 GB partitions, as many
    as you can fit. There can be up to 27 partitions without going
    into 3 other possible primary partitions of 27 more each. which
    could get a little hairy even for me, and I LOVE partitions.

    Install ONLY the OS and the program files on C:. NOTHING ELSE.
    Preferably NOT from the customized and branded OS shit that came
    with the laptop. You can get the laptop-specific drivers which
    you will need from the maker's site first.

    Designate your other partitions for the different types of stuff
    you do.

    >> Define: "Down" -- What do you mean your laptop is "very
    >> often down"?
    >>

    > It slows gradually until it collapses altogether; then must
    > be fixed in the shop. Usually when I come back to my
    > apartment, just after few days the trouble starts; nobody
    > is there willing to fix it and I do it when I am "out of
    > range", and when it gradually comes to a halt, then I fix
    > it.

    I AM right about the partition, aren't I? That, lack of regular
    cleaning, and possibly a lousy anti virus program are the root
    of your problem.

    >I suspect a foul play, which I cannot prove ... you can
    > immagine.

    Actually I can't. Why would you suspect foul play? You don't let
    OTHER PEOPLE touch your computer or leave it unattended do you?
    If yes, DON't, and PUT A BIOS PASSWORD on it. That will stop
    most people.

    >>>Now is OK, but needs defragging
    >>>all the time, that takes a lot of time and slows the
    >>>computer.

    Because you have a huge ass partition and Windows is very badly
    designed., Some OS's never have to be partitioned IIRC.

    >> What makes you think it needs defragging? What sort of
    >> activity are you performing that causes fragmentation?

    ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you do causes fragmentation. JEEZ.

    > A computer person has told me that he never defragments his
    > computer

    He has it so well maintained and it is so fast that no
    noticeable benefits come from doing it - he's a pro. Defragging
    does not make your computer faster anymore - it used to years
    ago, when they were slow. Now they are so fast it doesn't
    matter. It's still a good thing to do depending on how anal-
    retentive you are about keeping your equipment "clean".

    >maybe being on newsgroups too often gives it too
    > much to work. I have "TREND Micro" installed and it always
    > finds bunch of cookies there that it does not like: why it
    > lets them in then? Yes, Trojans like to come onto my
    > wallow.

    Go to www.purplus.com and get ESET32 Anti Virus. It's half price
    there.
    Get Spybot Search and Destroy, free. Get Acronis True Image and
    image your C partition once it's working the way it should.
    Update after major changes.

    >>>I am
    >>>considering to buy an ordinary desktop PC, because I think
    >>>that a laptop (of
    >>>whatever capacity) is no match to desktop PC. Or is there
    >>>fundamentally wrong with my laptop and could be rectified?
    >>>Please help.

    I would rather die than have to **** around with a laptop
    keyboard, plus I don't like things that cost hundreds of dollars
    to fix and tell to get dropped. But that's me. A good laptop can
    easily outperform an average or even a good desktop machine.

    <SNIP>

    >> One consideration is that laptop drives tend to be slower,
    >> 5400rpm or less is typical whereas a desktop will normally
    >> have a 7200rpm drive and faster is available.

    I don't think there is really THAT much practical difference -
    most of work you do is in memory anyway, and we are talking
    about fractions of seconds.

    > This last explains many things: slow downloads cause many
    > breakages and thus fragments in files and paths. Now, it is
    > better to work on a fast PC and have a laptop as emergency
    > equipment while travelling between places.

    > I think I should by a PC and an expert advice about

    specifications would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    You SAID you NEED to have a laptop, so what are you talking
    about?

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Mar 16, 2009

  3. DevilsPGD

    thanatoid Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > I would rather die than have to **** around with a laptop
    > keyboard, plus I don't like things that cost hundreds of
    > dollars to fix and tell

    TEND, damn it.

    thanatoid, Mar 16, 2009
  4. DevilsPGD

    Gordon Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > I bet you have a huge ass C partition and maybe a D partition
    > with "restore files (including the all-important AOL
    > subscription offer and other advertisements).
    >
    > Make a backup of what matters.
    >
    > Format and partition the drive into 2-5 GB partitions,

    Did you REALLY mean 5GB? That's not big enough even for XP.....

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    Gordon, Mar 16, 2009
  5. richard wrote:

    > Wasn't Celeron ditched when the pentium came out?

    A Celeron is a version of the standard (whatever is standard at the
    time) Intel chip with parts of it purposely disabled. Strangled.
    Throttled. Pinned out. "Budget."

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define:celeron

    Remember the old 386DX and 386SX?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 16, 2009
  6. DevilsPGD

    thanatoid Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> I bet you have a huge ass C partition and maybe a D
    >> partition with "restore files (including the all-important
    >> AOL subscription offer and other advertisements).
    >>
    >> Make a backup of what matters.
    >>
    >> Format and partition the drive into 2-5 GB partitions,

    > Did you REALLY mean 5GB? That's not big enough even for
    > XP.....

    Of course it is. You just have to keep your machine clean and
    put all the OTHER stuff on other partitions. I had XP installed
    on a 2 or 3 GB partition, I can't remember. I upgraded back to
    98SE Lite.

    thanatoid, Mar 16, 2009
  7. DevilsPGD

    thanatoid Guest

    "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >> I bet you have a huge ass C partition and maybe a D
    >> partition with "restore files (including the all-important
    >> AOL subscription offer and other advertisements).

    > You are correct, because I have told to technician that I
    > would like C:\ big, whereas before was 10GB; now 40GB. The
    > reason I wanted that is because I reckoned that OS can
    > perform better in more available space

    It is not the size of partition, it is that EVERYTHING ELSE gets
    dumped into it as well since you don't have another one. 5GB for
    XP is plenty, designate the other 5 GB partitions for other
    stuff.

    A 1 GB partition WOULD be too small for XP, but not for 9x. Etc.

    > the technician
    > insisted that 10GB (as came originally with the laptop) is
    > enough. I see that I made mistake, as usual.

    Don't feel bad. Nobody knows what's going on with these damn
    things.

    > I mean, I have two homes, and here I am more than in my
    > apartment; so, I thought I would equip myself with a really
    > good machine here. My partner has her own PC, which I do
    > not want to use because has a language that I do not
    > understand; I could use it in emergency, I guess, as I was
    > using it before when I needed it, but I would like to have
    > my own one.

    I have some experience with "other language" keyboards and
    computers. What a fucking nightmare.

    > I would like if I would be able to get some
    > sound advice about my future machine.

    You don't need one. I bet your laptop is under 5 yrs old.

    > I have a Chinese
    > friend, who is technician, but very limited in English.

    I have run across that problem. But there are MANY technicians
    only to happy to tell you what you want to hear for $25/hr.

    > He
    > prefers AMD (he told me that my laptop, which is Celeron,
    > is good, but I know that the type of my work requires a
    > better than that)

    Why? I bet you could do most of what you do on a 10 year old
    machine, AND faster.

    > and I would like to know the real
    > difference between AMD, Celeron or Intel.

    Practically, none. YES there are differences but they don't
    matter to a normal person.

    > I would like a
    > machine that would take me into the future; because I get
    > too attached to things or people that I know.

    I understand. Stick to your machine which I assume you ARE
    attached to.

    Another thing you might consider is a USB stick, an 8GB one can
    now be had for a ridiculous price and will probably hold all the
    data should you need to use another machine. Bring an English
    keyboard when you do.

    thanatoid, Mar 16, 2009
  8. DevilsPGD

    G. Morgan Guest

    G. Morgan, Mar 16, 2009
  9. DevilsPGD

    Gordon Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > Of course it is. You just have to keep your machine clean and
    > put all the OTHER stuff on other partitions. I had XP installed
    > on a 2 or 3 GB partition, I can't remember. I upgraded back to
    > 98SE Lite.

    Err no it's not. My XP SP3 WINDOWS folder on it's own is 4.12 GB. Add to
    that a decent sized Pagefile and you won't fit XP in 5GB. You need a
    fair bit of unused space to use for temp files in installing apps.I
    would NOT run XP in 5GB

    Gordon, Mar 16, 2009
  10. Gordon wrote:

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> Of course it is. You just have to keep your machine clean and put all
    >> the OTHER stuff on other partitions. I had XP installed on a 2 or 3
    >> GB partition, I can't remember. I upgraded back to 98SE Lite.

    > Err no it's not. My XP SP3 WINDOWS folder on it's own is 4.12 GB. Add
    > to that a decent sized Pagefile and you won't fit XP in 5GB. You need
    > a fair bit of unused space to use for temp files in installing apps.I
    > would NOT run XP in 5GB

    ...and don't forget every time you install new applications, even if you
    put their programs on, say, D:\, you get a mess of new stuff added to
    the registry. It just grows and grows... and can't live anywhere else.

    For XP, I'd say minimum 10GB for the OS directory, for the average user.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 16, 2009
  11. G. Morgan wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Remember the old 386DX and 386SX?

    > I remember the 486SX & DX lines. One of them (sx I think) had the math
    > co-processor disabled.

    Yes, same with the 386. As I recall, the 386 math co-processor chip was
    a bit "hollow" and only contained a loopback to two pins on the 386SX to
    re-engage the existing co-processor. I could probably Google that, but
    dinner is ready.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 16, 2009
  12. DevilsPGD

    thanatoid Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> Of course it is. You just have to keep your machine clean
    >> and put all the OTHER stuff on other partitions. I had XP
    >> installed on a 2 or 3 GB partition, I can't remember. I
    >> upgraded back to 98SE Lite.

    > Err no it's not. My XP SP3 WINDOWS folder on it's own is
    > 4.12 GB. Add to that a decent sized Pagefile and you won't
    > fit XP in 5GB. You need a fair bit of unused space to use
    > for temp files in installing apps.I would NOT run XP in 5GB

    The trick is not to install all the idiot extras and "computing
    facilitators" that MS has inflicted on us.
    Like IE. And don't tell me it HAS to be installed because it
    doesn't.

    thanatoid, Mar 16, 2009
  13. DevilsPGD

    thanatoid Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    in news:gpmeb3$q10$:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> thanatoid wrote:
    >>> Of course it is. You just have to keep your machine clean
    >>> and put all the OTHER stuff on other partitions. I had XP
    >>> installed on a 2 or 3 GB partition, I can't remember. I
    >>> upgraded back to 98SE Lite.

    >> Err no it's not. My XP SP3 WINDOWS folder on it's own is
    >> 4.12 GB. Add to that a decent sized Pagefile and you won't
    >> fit XP in 5GB. You need a fair bit of unused space to use
    >> for temp files in installing apps.I would NOT run XP in
    >> 5GB

    > ..and don't forget every time you install new applications,
    > even if you put their programs on, say, D:\, you get a mess
    > of new stuff added to the registry. It just grows and
    > grows... and can't live anywhere else.
    >
    > For XP, I'd say minimum 10GB for the OS directory, for the
    > average user.

    Average /clueless/ user. Cleaning the registry is easy, as is
    deleting all the garbage Windows barfs (as someone else put it
    rather nicely) all over the place every moment it's running.

    I used XP with 256MB of RAM and it used NO swap file, just like
    98SE Lite doesn't. AND it fit in a 2 or 3 gig partition, like I
    said. I actually always had my swap file on another partition
    but then I read somewhere I SHOULD have on C, so I put it on C
    but it hasn't been touched since I did - on my previous machine,
    which I am trying to make into a gaming machine (I don't play
    games so I only spend about 2 hours a month on the project) had
    64MB for years and it DID use the swapfile, all the time, a lot,
    but it still ran faster then any Vista machine.

    And now that I have 1 GB of RAM the swap file will /never/ be
    used. It's 200MB just in case but I ran it with 100MB for a
    while - needless to say, no difference.

    It doesn't matter if you *don't* use 200 of 200 or 100 of 100,
    etc.

    A principle many should try applying to many areas of their
    computing life.

    And I'll bet half the stuff in the registry can be deleted with
    NO harm.

    One of these days when I'm really bored I'll delete ALL the
    classes shit and I'm sure everything will run just fine.

    I have deleted MANY software entries and in fact it makes the
    programs run better!

    thanatoid, Mar 16, 2009
  14. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > For XP, I'd say minimum 10GB for the OS directory, for the average user.

    I still have a image of a stripped-down XP to install on some slimline hp
    boxen that came with a 4GB harddrive (and 500 MHz PIII, 128MB sdram which I
    upgraded to 512). After installing xp, firefox2 and openoffice, there was
    about 1G left.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 16, 2009
  15. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <gpmehm$rrl$> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >G. Morgan wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> Remember the old 386DX and 386SX?

    >> I remember the 486SX & DX lines. One of them (sx I think) had the math
    >> co-processor disabled.

    >Yes, same with the 386. As I recall, the 386 math co-processor chip was
    >a bit "hollow" and only contained a loopback to two pins on the 386SX to
    >re-engage the existing co-processor. I could probably Google that, but
    >dinner is ready.

    The 386SX had a 16-bit external data bus and 24-bit address bus, the
    386DX had full 32-bit busses.

    In the case of the 486, SX meant no math co-processor, DX meant with a
    math co-processor. In the early days the SX chip was a DX processor
    with a disabled math co-processor, although for most of the 80486
    lifespan the SX line had no co-processor at all. There was not, to my
    knowledge, any way of reenabling the co-processor.

    You might be thinking about the 80487 co-processor, which is actually
    the reverse of what you described. The 80487 was marketed as a
    co-processor add-on to the 486SX but it was actually a full 486DX
    processor that took over, disabling the entire 80486SX chip. As an
    added kick in the teeth, the speed of the 80487 wasn't printed on the
    chip, so your 486SX 33MHz might get "upgraded" to a 486DX 16MHz,
    although lucky 486SX 16MHz users ended up with 486DX 33MHz systems.

    Alternatively you might be thinking of the short lived "RapidCAD" CPUs
    which were a 486DX in a 386 package, these had a dummy 387 chip that
    would fool the 386 motherboard into thinking a 387 coprocessor was
    installed while using the 80486's native math coprocessor. These were
    only sold in pairs, so there was no real deception as much as just a
    technical necessity to report to the motherboard that a 387 co-processor
    was available.
    DevilsPGD, Mar 17, 2009
  16. DevilsPGD

    thanatoid Guest

    "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > I am entertaining the idea to clean up the machine itself
    > of everything unnecessary, and copy the whole C drive onto
    > USB stick. There is plenty that was caused by my paranoid
    > actions; when I was TOTALLY illiterate about internet, I
    > made many users very unhappy, so they responded in a really
    > scarry way that caused me being paranoid. Now, do I need
    > the whole comp to copy or just the C drive; I am worried
    > about all drives being connected and if only one is copied
    > (i.e. C) it may not recognise other after, and thus not
    > function, because the registry is changed, i.e. not
    > updated.

    I have to read this several times and I am a little tired...
    I'll answer in the near future...

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  17. DevilsPGD

    thanatoid Guest

    "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > I am entertaining the idea to clean up the machine itself
    > of everything unnecessary, and copy the whole C drive onto
    > USB stick.

    I don't believe you can boot off a stick, but I could be wrong.
    I have no experience with them.

    Also, while it IS an idea, it is not really necessary - you are
    gonna have to clean up the mess no matter WHAT, sooner or later,
    or your computer will destroy you and you will never sleep well
    again!

    And when you clean up the mess, just image the C drive onto a CD
    or DVD (or a couple of CD's if you don't have a DVD burner, and
    also copy it to another partition (as a backup) and if anything
    goes wrong, Acronis puts you back in business in just a few
    minutes. OK, maybe 20 minutes.

    > There is plenty that was caused by my paranoid
    > actions; when I was TOTALLY illiterate about internet, I
    > made many users very unhappy, so they responded in a really
    > scarry way that caused me being paranoid.

    Were you UNPLEASANT? Did you call people names? I really don't
    think people care that much. And don't be paranoid. "They" know
    everything about everybody anyway, so it's pointless to be
    paranoid. We are all doomed. I am not really kidding, I am just
    very cynical.

    > Now, do I need
    > the whole comp to copy or just the C drive; I am worried
    > about all drives being connected and if only one is copied
    > (i.e. C) it may not recognise other after, and thus not
    > function, because the registry is changed, i.e. not
    > updated.

    A HARD DRIVE is one piece of machinery, a small box with metal
    disks in it. If you only have ONE primary partition on it, with
    no virtual drives (AKA partitions) - as you do now, you're in
    computer hell.

    There's no space in laptops for more drives, but SOME people
    have two (or 4) drives in their desktop machines and use one for
    C: and everything else is in *other* boxes/drives, connected by
    cables. But hard drives are so huge now that no one needs more
    than one except for backup/RAID purposes, and you should back up
    to CD-RW all the time anyway if your work is important. I don't
    do anything important so I don't care, but I understand some
    people actually use their computers for important things ;-)

    All the info needed to run the machine is in the master boot
    record (look it up but don't worry about it too much) and on C.
    The other partitions (virtual drives) can have whatever, it will
    not affect anything in a negative way.

    Wikipedia is good to learn about many basics.

    But this will explain about partitions for a good start:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_02.htm

    Good luck.

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  18. DevilsPGD

    thanatoid Guest

    "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >>> I am entertaining the idea to clean up the machine itself
    >>> of everything unnecessary, and copy the whole C drive
    >>> onto USB stick.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> There is plenty that was caused by my paranoid
    >>> actions; when I was TOTALLY illiterate about internet, I
    >>> made many users very unhappy, so they responded in a
    >>> really scarry way that caused me being paranoid.

    >> Were you UNPLEASANT? Did you call people names? I really
    >> don't think people care that much. And don't be paranoid.
    >> "They" know everything about everybody anyway, so it's
    >> pointless to be paranoid. We are all doomed. I am not
    >> really kidding, I am just very cynical.

    > I was too nationalistic, my ideas are too National to fit
    > in ANY of the news groups, and they did not allowed a group
    > in their "hr." domain that would seem appropriate; I
    > demanded, and still do, that the group "hr.soc.hrvat" be
    > established on the list, but they are opposing because of
    > political incorrectness: it is too nationalictic, too
    > fascist, too nazi ... One can read my oppinions, I sign
    > them and am ready to pay the ultimate price for what I say;
    > because, as far as I know, it is the Truth.

    Well, I glanced briefly at the first link, and you are a little
    demented, no offense, but it's OK.
    It's not your fault, you're simply a rather vocal victim of the
    ultimate Evil known as /all/ religions.
    Anyway, good luck with everything.

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  19. In article <>,
    "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote:

    > This last explains many things: slow downloads cause many breakages and thus
    > fragments in files and paths. Now, it is better to work on a fast PC and
    > have a laptop as emergency equipment while travelling between places. I
    > think I should by a PC and an expert advice about specifications would be
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bruno.

    Perhaps you need a laptop with a bigger hard drive and allow *plenty* of
    free space, say 10 times that of your largest file. Hard drives driven
    to almost no free space exhibit the kind of problems you have.
    Walter Bushell, Apr 4, 2009