Re: Is 4:3 a dead Duck?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 22, 2011.

  1. In message <4d6436d7$>, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > Should I keep the so called remasters at the original fraim rate or
    > should I change the frame rate to 24 as in the Film movie-making
    > industry or does it not matter any more what I should chose so long as
    > it can be up or down sampled for consumption in consumer devices.

    As a general rule, if you don’t have to change something, don’t change it.
    Every reprocessing step is going to introduce some loss of the original
    data.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 22, 2011

  2. In message <4d646e98$>, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > I was never too happy with the old capture cards the Hard drive DVD
    > recorder seems to go a better job. I guess at that stage it is De-
    > interlaced?

    No, I’m pretty sure it would still be interlaced. MPEG-2/DVD-Video allows
    for that, no reason why a DVD-Video recorder would do any de-interlacing.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 23, 2011

  3. In article <4d646e98$>, Robert Cooze <c_o-o_z-e_r-b_@-c-o-o-z-eD_O_Tc_oD_O_Tnz> wrote:
    >On 23/02/11 11:28, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message<4d6436d7$>, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >>
    >>> Should I keep the so called remasters at the original fraim rate or
    >>> should I change the frame rate to 24 as in the Film movie-making
    >>> industry or does it not matter any more what I should chose so long as
    >>> it can be up or down sampled for consumption in consumer devices.

    >> As a general rule, if you don’t have to change something, don’t change

    > it.
    >> Every reprocessing step is going to introduce some loss of the original
    >> data.

    >Verry Good point :)
    >
    >And there is the problem the Source is old and the hardware to play the
    >source is old not sure how long the head will function correctly....
    >
    >The plan is to get the source to DVD and work from that or some other
    >intermediate. Long time ago I used to edit to VHS those tapes have long
    >since died. My priority is to get the tapes into digital world. I was
    >never too happy with the old capture cards the Hard drive DVD recorder
    >seems to go a better job. I guess at that stage it is De-interlaced?

    Interesting. Data I've seen suggested that analog/magnetic media (and tape
    particularly) is *more* likely to last than digital media. Some suggest that
    DVDs/DVDs have an expected life of only a few years (the coating detaches
    itself from the backing IIRC and becomes US ?).
    AFAIK, most system backups where it really matters are still done to tape,
    yes/no ?
    Your point about specific hardware is, however, a good one. :)

    There was also something about printed photos likely to last much longer
    than ones in the digital space ... something to do with not transferring
    them from machine to machine when "upgrading" and/or them being on media
    that you can no longer read (eg 8" floppies :) ) ... or that falls apart
    (see above re DVDs etc). Given that I have seen fairly good photos from the
    1920's, what do we think is the likelihood of any/many digital photos
    lasting 90 years ? :)

    The other problem of course, is that backups are often/usually kept next to
    the computer they are backing up. :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 23, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Boots Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:33:46 +1300, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > And there is the problem the Source is old and the hardware to play the
    > source is old not sure how long the head will function correctly....

    VCRs are still commonly available in second hand stores.

    Boots, Feb 23, 2011
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Boots Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 05:13:37 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > AFAIK, most
    > system backups where it really matters are still done to tape, yes/no ?

    Yes, or onto another server, or onto a removeable HDD, or onto another
    server with RAID and removeable HDDS and tape with tape stored off-
    site. :)

    Boots, Feb 23, 2011
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    On 23/02/2011 6:13 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > There was also something about printed photos likely to last much longer
    > than ones in the digital space ... something to do with not transferring
    > them from machine to machine when "upgrading" and/or them being on media
    > that you can no longer read (eg 8" floppies :) ) ... or that falls apart
    > (see above re DVDs etc). Given that I have seen fairly good photos from the
    > 1920's, what do we think is the likelihood of any/many digital photos
    > lasting 90 years ? :)

    Mine should be fine - on several diverse continents, backed up to many
    machines here, if flicr or picasa go down, can copy it from the ones
    that are still in existence to any new ones that show up.

    All the printed ones I have now are showing lousy colour for the older
    lab printed ones, and some of the inkjetted ones are looking quite ugly
    too. Good thing is I can always just print out more if needed from the
    digital files.

    One thing that does worry me is that there is no CRC or hash in the raw
    jpeg files, so there may be some cases where there is a few bits lost,
    which screw up the image from that point on when viewing it. I really
    should make SFV's and periodically check them on all the machines.

    > The other problem of course, is that backups are often/usually kept next to
    > the computer they are backing up. :) :)

    No different to keeping the negatives in the same pouch as the prints
    from the old days, but in saying that, there is no resale value for them
    so they are typically not stolen.
    Richard, Feb 25, 2011