Re: Is 4:3 a dead Duck? for Viewing and ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 25, 2011.

  1. In message <4d643a40$>, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > ... I am guessing FULL HD would be better there. but at what distance does
    > it not matter?

    According to this <http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/eye-resolution.html>,
    the apparent distance between adjacent pixels should be 0.3 arc-minutes. Not
    sure if that takes the Kell factor into account.

    So at a viewing distance of 3 metres, this translates to a pixel spacing of
    about 0.2mm. Which seems a bit small, since 1366 horizontal pixels (typical
    for earlier 1080i-capable HD sets like mine) would only occupy a width of
    about 36cm. My set is more like 3 times that size.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 25, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Me Guest

    > In message<4d643a40$>, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    >> ... I am guessing FULL HD would be better there. but at what distance does
    >> it not matter?

    > According to this<http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/eye-resolution.html>,
    > the apparent distance between adjacent pixels should be 0.3 arc-minutes. Not
    > sure if that takes the Kell factor into account.
    >
    > So at a viewing distance of 3 metres, this translates to a pixel spacing of
    > about 0.2mm. Which seems a bit small, since 1366 horizontal pixels (typical
    > for earlier 1080i-capable HD sets like mine) would only occupy a width of
    > about 36cm. My set is more like 3 times that size.

    Try a little test for yourself. Draw and display (on a screen with 1:1
    pixel mapping) and bitmap editor a black on white line pair with lines 1
    pixel wide and 1 pixel apart. Then move back from the screen, and
    you'll probably find that even with laptop screen typically about 1280
    pixels wide, you can still probably see two lines at up to about 3
    metres. That's not taking the "Kell Factor" into account - ie if that
    line pair was not aligned with perfectly with pixels, then it's going to
    show aliasing and/or resolution loss through interpolation.
    Roger N Clark gets somewhat carried away at times. He posts (or used to
    anyway) to rec.photo groups.
    Me, Mar 5, 2011

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    On 5/03/2011 4:17 p.m., Me wrote:

    > Try a little test for yourself. Draw and display (on a screen with 1:1
    > pixel mapping) and bitmap editor a black on white line pair with lines 1
    > pixel wide and 1 pixel apart. Then move back from the screen, and you'll
    > probably find that even with laptop screen typically about 1280 pixels
    > wide, you can still probably see two lines at up to about 3 metres.
    > That's not taking the "Kell Factor" into account - ie if that line pair
    > was not aligned with perfectly with pixels, then it's going to show
    > aliasing and/or resolution loss through interpolation.
    > Roger N Clark gets somewhat carried away at times. He posts (or used to
    > anyway) to rec.photo groups.

    More importantly is when you are close to a low res panel you can see
    the structure around the pixels like a screendoor over the image.
    Richard, Mar 5, 2011