Re: IrfanView or FastStone?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Thomas, Jan 2, 2009.

  1. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > I'm experimenting with FastStone seriously for the first time and
    > rather like it. But as a long time IrfanView user I'm unsure about
    > switching to it as my preferred viewer. Apart from other factors, I
    > have quite a few macros written which integrate IrfanView with other
    > applications, which would need re-writing.
    >
    > So, while continuing my own comparison, I'd be very interested to hear
    > opinions from those who have used both please. Any really compelling
    > advantages of one over the other?

    Thanks for making me look at this topic again..!

    I would second the recommendation to try XnView, if you aren't confused
    enough already. (O:

    Maybe I'm missing some obvious techniques, but a few things annoy me
    about Irfanview:
    - its insistence on remembering where I last saved something - I would
    MUCH rather it just used the folder I opened the image from!
    - its inability to display/save raw (Fuji .raf) files at full size
    (maybe I'm missing a plugin)
    - its very limited choices for things like sharpening
    ...and I find the interface clunky, it doesn't remember window sizes...

    So I'm currently trialling XnView which feels much faster, opens my raw
    files at full-size, has a nice interface, Lanczos interpolation, good if
    not great sharpening control, very simple print ratio selections...
    About the only thing I can fault so far is that it doesn't seem to allow
    right click and drag (eg to move/copy files), but I'll check the options...

    Most reviews I found seemed to lean towards XnView, at least for the
    stuff I want in a browser, but I confess I haven't tried Faststone.

    I have been using a combination of Thumsbsplus (my old version can't see
    raw files/doesn't have Lanczos) and Irfanview (has Lanczos and raw
    support, but limited).

    So it is looking as if XnView will replace both for me.

    Mark Thomas, Jan 2, 2009

  2. Mark Thomas <markt@_don't_spam_marktphoto.com> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> I'm experimenting with FastStone seriously for the first time and
    >> rather like it. But as a long time IrfanView user I'm unsure about
    >> switching to it as my preferred viewer. Apart from other factors, I
    >> have quite a few macros written which integrate IrfanView with other
    >> applications, which would need re-writing.
    >>
    >> So, while continuing my own comparison, I'd be very interested to hear
    >> opinions from those who have used both please. Any really compelling
    >> advantages of one over the other?
    >>

    >Thanks for making me look at this topic again..!
    >
    >I would second the recommendation to try XnView, if you aren't confused
    >enough already. (O:
    >
    >Maybe I'm missing some obvious techniques, but a few things annoy me
    >about Irfanview:
    >- its insistence on remembering where I last saved something - I would
    >MUCH rather it just used the folder I opened the image from!
    >- its inability to display/save raw (Fuji .raf) files at full size
    >(maybe I'm missing a plugin)
    >- its very limited choices for things like sharpening
    >..and I find the interface clunky, it doesn't remember window sizes...
    >
    >So I'm currently trialling XnView which feels much faster, opens my raw
    >files at full-size, has a nice interface, Lanczos interpolation, good if
    >not great sharpening control, very simple print ratio selections...
    >About the only thing I can fault so far is that it doesn't seem to allow
    >right click and drag (eg to move/copy files), but I'll check the options...
    >
    >Most reviews I found seemed to lean towards XnView, at least for the
    >stuff I want in a browser, but I confess I haven't tried Faststone.
    >
    >I have been using a combination of Thumsbsplus (my old version can't see
    >raw files/doesn't have Lanczos) and Irfanview (has Lanczos and raw
    >support, but limited).
    >
    >So it is looking as if XnView will replace both for me.

    Thanks. Duly installed latest version. First impressions very
    positive. Which is sort of bad news because that keeps all 3 under
    active consideration ;-)

    IrfanView offers Files > Recent directories and XnView has the more
    familiar File > Recent files, but one feature I like in FastStone is
    its rather more flexible 'Favorites'.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 2, 2009

  3. Mark Thomas

    Paul Furman Guest

    Mark Thomas wrote:

    > Maybe I'm missing some obvious techniques, but a few things annoy me
    > about Irfanview:
    > - its insistence on remembering where I last saved something - I would
    > MUCH rather it just used the folder I opened the image from!

    Control-S starts in the current folder, not file-save-as.

    > ..and I find the interface clunky,

    It's great for such a lightweight freebie that can be coaxed into
    batching & all sorts of geeky stuff but nowhere near other programs.

    > it doesn't remember window sizes...

    I view as 'fit only large into frame' and hit enter for full screen.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jan 2, 2009
  4. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Mark Thomas wrote:
    >> Maybe I'm missing some obvious techniques, but a few things annoy me
    >> about Irfanview:
    >> - its insistence on remembering where I last saved something - I would
    >> MUCH rather it just used the folder I opened the image from!

    > So, go to the preferences menu and CHANGE IT.

    Which setting is that one, exactly? In my v4.10 I don't believe it
    exists, but if you can direct me to it, even in a later version,
    *please* do.

    In simple terms, if you open an image in the browser to make a quick
    change and go to Save As, it does not *not* open the current folder
    (unless that happens to be where you last saved a file). So frequently
    I have to re-navigate to the current folder.

    It's not a huge deal, but in my workflow it often adds several clicks,
    or if I'm not watching what I'm doing, the file is saved in the wrong
    location. Most programs behave differently, and will show the current
    folder when using Save as. I am used to, and prefer, that behavior.

    >> - its inability to display/save raw (Fuji .raf) files at full size
    >> (maybe I'm missing a plugin)

    > such files are proprietary.

    Yes, they are. Does that make suppport for browsing them less
    important? Thumbsplus does not show them at all, so it is useless if I
    am searching through a mixture of image files. IrfanView does, but if
    you open the file, it is only at a highly reduced resolution. XnView
    allows them to be opened at full resolution. That makes it more
    convenient for me, and I'll take a wild stab it is not just restricted
    to Fuji raw files, and therefore the info might be useful to others.

    >> - its very limited choices for things like sharpening
    >> ..and I find the interface clunky, it doesn't remember window sizes...
    >>

    > Huh? Tell it to.

    Let me be specific - you *cannot* set the Thumbnail browser to remember
    window sizes because it has its own "Save Current Layout" function. So
    it will remember the image viewer layout, but in the *browser* you have
    to save it manually, so it is not consistent. In my environment where I
    have both long and short folder names and use the program on different
    resolution monitors, I would like to have the program simply remember
    the layout whenever I change it. It doesn't, so I have to remember to
    save the layout manually. Again, a minor detail, but they all add up.

    >> So I'm currently trialling XnView which feels much faster, opens my
    >> raw files at full-size, has a nice interface, Lanczos interpolation,
    >> good if not great sharpening control, very simple print ratio
    >> selections... About the only thing I can fault so far is that it
    >> doesn't seem to allow right click and drag (eg to move/copy files),
    >> but I'll check the options...
    >>

    > I sure hope you make more effort to learn to use it before you complain
    > about it.

    I'm all ears on what it is I haven't learnt. As above, do tell me how
    to set the program to use the current folder in a Save As dialog, and
    also how to get it to remember the window partition size in Thumbnail mode.

    > It's a good program, and deserves an even chance.

    Yes, it is, but I find XnView is better, so far.

    Mark Thomas, Jan 2, 2009
  5. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > Mark Thomas wrote:
    >>
    >> Maybe I'm missing some obvious techniques, but a few things annoy me
    >> about Irfanview:
    >> - its insistence on remembering where I last saved something - I would
    >> MUCH rather it just used the folder I opened the image from!

    > Control-S starts in the current folder, not file-save-as.

    Thanks Paul. As I explained elsewhere, unless I am missing something,
    that doesn't help my ineptitude (O:, as it doesn't open the dialog box
    for me to change the name.

    I just want to be able to open a file from the browser, make a change,
    eg resize/whatever, then quickly Save As with just a change to the
    filename - I don't want to have to browse around to get *back* to the
    current folder. As I work with several other programs where you can do
    that (the dialog box opens in the folder where the file was opened), I
    find it hard to get into the habit.. and I usually don't discover my
    stupidity until later when I look for the file.

    >> ..and I find the interface clunky,

    > It's great for such a lightweight freebie that can be coaxed into
    > batching & all sorts of geeky stuff but nowhere near other programs.

    Agreed.

    >> it doesn't remember window sizes...

    > I view as 'fit only large into frame' and hit enter for full screen.

    Again, it's just that the browser won't remember its settings, without
    me telling it to. I'm getting fussy in my old age... (O:

    I remain pretty impressed with XnView - but I'm sure I'll find stuff in
    it to annoy me too!

    Mark Thomas, Jan 2, 2009
  6. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    OT - John Navas Re: IrfanView or FastStone?

    John Navas wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 16:11:33 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    > wrote in <>:
    >
    >> Mark Thomas wrote:

    >>> So I'm currently trialling XnView which feels much faster, opens my raw
    >>> files at full-size, has a nice interface, Lanczos interpolation, good if
    >>> not great sharpening control, very simple print ratio selections...
    >>> About the only thing I can fault so far is that it doesn't seem to allow
    >>> right click and drag (eg to move/copy files), but I'll check the options...

    >> I sure hope you make more effort to learn to use it before you complain
    >> about it. It's a good program, and deserves an even chance.

    > Why would you think there would be any more effort than with cameras?
    > Accuracy in both cases is comparable. ;)

    Perhaps before smirking smugly, John might like to investigate the
    issues. He can feel free to point out the setting in Irfanview where I
    can tell it to make the Save As dialog box use the *current* folder.

    Then, he can tell me how to set IrfanView's *browser* to always remember
    the last window layout.

    If he can do both of those, I will be very appreciative and thank him.

    If he can't, then he has just embarrassed himself.

    It's interesting, revealing and unsurprising to note that he has to use
    another's repost to have a go at me, now that I am one of the many lucky
    folk in his "twit filter". (O:

    Mark Thomas, Jan 2, 2009
  7. Mark Thomas

    Paul Furman Guest

    Mark Thomas wrote:
    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >> Mark Thomas wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Maybe I'm missing some obvious techniques, but a few things annoy me
    >>> about Irfanview:
    >>> - its insistence on remembering where I last saved something - I
    >>> would MUCH rather it just used the folder I opened the image from!

    >> Control-S starts in the current folder, not file-save-as.

    > Thanks Paul. As I explained elsewhere, unless I am missing something,
    > that doesn't help my ineptitude (O:, as it doesn't open the dialog box
    > for me to change the name.

    I don't know, it's worked that way for me for years. Dangerous in most
    programs to ctl-S but in Irfanview I get a chance to change. Photoshop
    may or may not ask more questions after a ctl-S.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jan 3, 2009
  8. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > Mark Thomas wrote:
    >> Paul Furman wrote:

    >>> Control-S starts in the current folder, not file-save-as.

    >> Thanks Paul. As I explained elsewhere, unless I am missing something,
    >> that doesn't help my ineptitude (O:, as it doesn't open the dialog box
    >> for me to change the name.

    > I don't know, it's worked that way for me for years. Dangerous in most
    > programs to ctl-S but in Irfanview I get a chance to change. Photoshop
    > may or may not ask more questions after a ctl-S.

    You prompted me to investigate further, to see if there was an option
    for *that*, and indeed, there is an option for showing the dialog box
    for the Save function - by default it is turned off..

    So, yes, I could set that and try to remember to Save rather than Save
    As.. but then I'll get into a habit that will cause problems in my other
    programs... (as you said yourself - "dangerous in most programs"..)

    I know, there's just no pleasing some folk!

    But thanks for the tips.

    Mark Thomas, Jan 3, 2009
  9. Mark Thomas

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 09:04:21 +1000, Mark Thomas wrote:

    >> So, go to the preferences menu and CHANGE IT.

    > Which setting is that one, exactly? In my v4.10 I don't believe it
    > exists, but if you can direct me to it, even in a later version,
    > *please* do.
    >
    > In simple terms, if you open an image in the browser to make a quick
    > change and go to Save As, it does not *not* open the current folder
    > (unless that happens to be where you last saved a file). So frequently
    > I have to re-navigate to the current folder.

    You can use the Save command which will use the image's current
    folder. Irfanview won't automatically overwrite the original file,
    but will give you a chance to rename it if you wish. I don't see
    that this is controlled by any preferences option. I'm using
    version 4.23, the latest, I believe, and the File menu shows :

    > Save (original folder) Ctrl + S

    This may be the way previous versions worked, but I don't recall
    seeing "(original folder)" displayed in the file menu.

    >>> - its inability to display/save raw (Fuji .raf) files at full size
    >>> (maybe I'm missing a plugin)

    A text editor is almost as good as Irfanview for working with RAF
    files.

    ASAAR, Jan 3, 2009