Re: IrfanView or FastStone?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Clair Johnston, Jan 1, 2009.

  1. Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > I'm experimenting with FastStone seriously for the first time and
    > rather like it. But as a long time IrfanView user I'm unsure about
    > switching to it as my preferred viewer. Apart from other factors, I
    > have quite a few macros written which integrate IrfanView with other
    > applications, which would need re-writing.
    >
    > So, while continuing my own comparison, I'd be very interested to hear
    > opinions from those who have used both please. Any really compelling
    > advantages of one over the other?

    I don't understand the either-or issue here. I am a long time user of
    IrfanView, but more recently use FastStone for viewing and simple
    editing. I find that for the most part, FastStone has a better user
    interface. My prime use for IrfanView is copying and renaming files
    from the camera to my computer.

    Why don't you just use both for what they do best? Best can only be
    determined by YOU. What you get from the rest of us are opinions and
    bias.

    Clair
    Clair Johnston, Jan 1, 2009

  2. Clair Johnston

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 14:10:07 -0500, Clair Johnston
    <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> I'm experimenting with FastStone seriously for the first time and
    >> rather like it. But as a long time IrfanView user I'm unsure about
    >> switching to it as my preferred viewer. Apart from other factors, I
    >> have quite a few macros written which integrate IrfanView with other
    >> applications, which would need re-writing.
    >>
    >> So, while continuing my own comparison, I'd be very interested to hear
    >> opinions from those who have used both please. Any really compelling
    >> advantages of one over the other?
    >>

    >I don't understand the either-or issue here. I am a long time user of
    >IrfanView, but more recently use FastStone for viewing and simple
    >editing. I find that for the most part, FastStone has a better user
    >interface. My prime use for IrfanView is copying and renaming files
    >from the camera to my computer.
    >
    >Why don't you just use both for what they do best? Best can only be
    >determined by YOU. What you get from the rest of us are opinions and
    >bias.

    I do. The question here is about what offers the most as a primary
    image viewer; the one you go to first when viewing what you've
    uploaded. I still have IrfanView, Photoshop has a file browser that
    is an image viewer, and Elements has the Organizer viewer. I can use
    any of them, but my first choice is FastStone. The others are used
    when something they can do is needed.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jan 1, 2009

  3. Clair Johnston <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> I'm experimenting with FastStone seriously for the first time and
    >> rather like it. But as a long time IrfanView user I'm unsure about
    >> switching to it as my preferred viewer. Apart from other factors, I
    >> have quite a few macros written which integrate IrfanView with other
    >> applications, which would need re-writing.
    >>
    >> So, while continuing my own comparison, I'd be very interested to hear
    >> opinions from those who have used both please. Any really compelling
    >> advantages of one over the other?
    >>

    >I don't understand the either-or issue here. I am a long time user of
    >IrfanView, but more recently use FastStone for viewing and simple
    >editing. I find that for the most part, FastStone has a better user
    >interface. My prime use for IrfanView is copying and renaming files
    >from the camera to my computer.
    >
    >Why don't you just use both for what they do best? Best can only be
    >determined by YOU. What you get from the rest of us are opinions and
    >bias.
    >
    >Clair

    John, Tony & Ron summed up most of my reasons. It's certainly not an
    either/or issue, but a matter of minimising the amount of learning and
    memorising hotkeys and techniques.

    The overlap between editing and viewing complicates choices too. I use
    PaintShop Pro 8 as my main editor. But if for example it's just a
    simple crop I want, then I prefer IrfanView. Same for basic
    annotation; it's easier to use IrfanView and pop-up the 'extras' with
    F12 and use the text and maybe also the arrow tools from there. Much
    depends on where I'm starting from. If I'm already *in* PaintShop Pro,
    then I'll use its own tools. Probably then screwing up my first crop
    or two for instance, because PSP8 uses different keys to IrfanView for
    sizing and positioning. I haven't tried cropping in FastStone yet. I
    bet that's different too.

    And as I mentioned, in my particular case there's also the additional
    important point about my macros.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Jan 2, 2009
  4. Terry Pinnell wrote:
    []
    > The overlap between editing and viewing complicates choices too. I use
    > PaintShop Pro 8 as my main editor. But if for example it's just a
    > simple crop I want, then I prefer IrfanView. Same for basic
    > annotation; it's easier to use IrfanView and pop-up the 'extras' with
    > F12 and use the text and maybe also the arrow tools from there. Much
    > depends on where I'm starting from. If I'm already *in* PaintShop Pro,
    > then I'll use its own tools. Probably then screwing up my first crop
    > or two for instance, because PSP8 uses different keys to IrfanView for
    > sizing and positioning. I haven't tried cropping in FastStone yet. I
    > bet that's different too.

    Terry,

    For just cropping, I use the lossless Jpegcrop tool:

    http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/

    I have it set up as a right-click menu item for JPEG files. I use
    graphical selection with the mouse, rarely with the keys. Like you, if I
    was already in Paint Shop Pro for other edits, I would simply use the crop
    tool there as the picture is already changed from the original.

    I tend to use IrfanView for automated screen captures....

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 2, 2009