Re: IrfanView or FastStone?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Terry Pinnell, Jan 1, 2009.

  1. John Navas <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:02:37 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    ><> wrote in
    ><>:
    >
    >>I'm experimenting with FastStone seriously for the first time and
    >>rather like it. But as a long time IrfanView user I'm unsure about
    >>switching to it as my preferred viewer. Apart from other factors, I
    >>have quite a few macros written which integrate IrfanView with other
    >>applications, which would need re-writing.
    >>
    >>So, while continuing my own comparison, I'd be very interested to hear
    >>opinions from those who have used both please. Any really compelling
    >>advantages of one over the other?

    >Free Image Viewers Challenge
    ><http://news.softpedia.com/news/Free-Image-Viewers-Challenge-29851.shtml>

    Thanks. A useful comparison, although I wonder if both programs have
    advanced at same rate in the two and a half years since it was
    written?

    More important, it reminds me that XnView is another major alternative
    ;-)

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 1, 2009

  2. Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > John Navas <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:02:37 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    >><> wrote in
    >><>:
    >>
    >>>I'm experimenting with FastStone seriously for the first time and rather
    >>>like it. But as a long time IrfanView user I'm unsure about switching to
    >>>it as my preferred viewer. Apart from other factors, I have quite a few
    >>>macros written which integrate IrfanView with other applications, which
    >>>would need re-writing.
    >>>
    >>>So, while continuing my own comparison, I'd be very interested to hear
    >>>opinions from those who have used both please. Any really compelling
    >>>advantages of one over the other?

    >>Free Image Viewers Challenge
    >><http://news.softpedia.com/news/Free-Image-Viewers-Challenge-29851.shtml>

    > Thanks. A useful comparison, although I wonder if both programs have
    > advanced at same rate in the two and a half years since it was written?
    >
    > More important, it reminds me that XnView is another major alternative ;-)

    I don't use xnview as my first-line viewer (which is gqview), but I do use
    it for editing IPTC data and for some file management.

    --
    Blinky
    The Worldwide Squirrel Shooters Association: http://thewssa.org

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 2, 2009