Re: Iran fakes missiles with digital manipulation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris H, Jul 11, 2008.

  1. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Alan Browne
    <> writes

    >http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/in-an-iranian-image-a-missil
    >e-too-many/index.html?hp
    >
    >Per the article, the image was removed from the Iranian press site later
    > in the day (per Agence France Presse).

    Though it is interesting that on the UK news there were no photos...
    just the video clips of the launches.....

    So if the photos are fakes but taken from the minute or so video of the
    launch how did they fake the video?

    Chris H, Jul 11, 2008

  2. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Alan Browne
    <> writes
    >Chris H wrote:
    >> In message <>, Alan
    >>Browne <> writes
    >>>
    >>> http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/in-an-iranian-image-a-missil
    >>> e-too-many/index.html?hp
    >>>
    >>> Per the article, the image was removed from the Iranian press site later
    >>> in the day (per Agence France Presse).

    >> Though it is interesting that on the UK news there were no photos...
    >>just the video clips of the launches.....
    >> So if the photos are fakes but taken from the minute or so video of
    >>the launch how did they fake the video?

    >What exactly did you see in the video.

    Multiple rockets being launched

    > Memory that good?

    Yes for that sort of thing.

    > Did you record it?

    No.

    >Got a link to it?

    Not on web but looking for one.

    Chris H, Jul 11, 2008

  3. Chris H

    Dave Cohen Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Deep Reset wrote:
    >>
    >> "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message

    >>> My cash is down: No link will be posted showing four missiles firing
    >>> simultaneously from the same location.

    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7496858.stm
    >>
    >> Looks to me like the right-most one stays on the ground, at 0:08 to 0:10

    > Excellent source! I wonder if the schmo who did the PSing lost his head?

    I saw another single shot indicating the last from right stayed on the
    ground. You could infer same from that video but who cares. My guess is
    they simply didn't want to admit failure (ie one out 4 didn't fire). I
    don't know why this would bother them, everyone has similar mishaps,
    nothing to be ashamed of. More interesting is what these things are good
    for. With a conventional load it's a terror threat. I was in London
    (Brixton) when we were subjected to V2's. Scary but hardly a way to
    bring a country to it's knees.
    I've heard it suggested and find it fairly convincing that this show of
    force has less to do with impressing their supposed enemies but rather
    is part of a power struggle between moderates and hardliners in Iran,
    the latter wanting to maintain tensions for political gain.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jul 11, 2008
  4. Chris H

    Poldie Guest

    lid wrote:
    > Dave Cohen wrote:
    >
    >> I saw another single shot indicating the last from right stayed on the
    >> ground. You could infer same from that video but who cares. My guess is
    >> they simply didn't want to admit failure (ie one out 4 didn't fire). I
    >> don't know why this would bother them, everyone has similar mishaps,
    >> nothing to be ashamed of. More interesting is what these things are good
    >> for. With a conventional load it's a terror threat. I was in London
    >> (Brixton) when we were subjected to V2's. Scary but hardly a way to
    >> bring a country to it's knees.
    >> I've heard it suggested and find it fairly convincing that this show of
    >> force has less to do with impressing their supposed enemies but rather
    >> is part of a power struggle between moderates and hardliners in Iran,
    >> the latter wanting to maintain tensions for political gain.

    > The latter is possible.
    >
    > However, what it really is for is this:
    >
    > "We have these missiles that can reach Israel. We have all these
    > gas centrifuges that are to be used only for peaceful purposes.
    > The world will have peace only when Israel is wiped off the face of the earth."
    >
    > To the Islamic world, that says that Iran is the "real thing". Pakistan,
    > of course, is not the real thing since they have had the missiles and atomic
    > bombs for years and have not used them.

    It might be better for everyone if Iran just uses photoshop to remove
    Israel from the world, or at least a map of the world.
    Poldie, Jul 12, 2008
  5. Chris H

    Cynicor Guest

    lid wrote:
    > Dave Cohen wrote:
    >

    >> I saw another single shot indicating the last from right stayed on the
    >> ground. You could infer same from that video but who cares. My guess
    >> is they simply didn't want to admit failure (ie one out 4 didn't
    >> fire). I don't know why this would bother them, everyone has similar
    >> mishaps, nothing to be ashamed of. More interesting is what these
    >> things are good for. With a conventional load it's a terror threat. I
    >> was in London (Brixton) when we were subjected to V2's. Scary but
    >> hardly a way to bring a country to it's knees.
    >> I've heard it suggested and find it fairly convincing that this show
    >> of force has less to do with impressing their supposed enemies but
    >> rather is part of a power struggle between moderates and hardliners in
    >> Iran, the latter wanting to maintain tensions for political gain.

    > The latter is possible.
    >
    > However, what it really is for is this:
    >
    > "We have these missiles that can reach Israel. We have all these
    > gas centrifuges that are to be used only for peaceful purposes.
    > The world will have peace only when Israel is wiped off the face of the
    > earth."
    >
    > To the Islamic world, that says that Iran is the "real thing". Pakistan,
    > of course, is not the real thing since they have had the missiles and
    > atomic
    > bombs for years and have not used them.

    Yeah, well, you know what's not going to happen in our lifetimes? Iran
    sending a nuke at israel.
    Cynicor, Jul 12, 2008
  6. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Alan Browne
    <> writes
    >Deep Reset wrote:
    >> "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message

    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7496858.stm

    >So, Chris H, how many now?

    Fair enough 3 as a set
    The other one was a different rocket.

    3 out of 4 went and then a shot of a single rocket. 4 in all but... no
    telling when or where the 4th one was fired.

    Chris H, Jul 12, 2008
  7. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, John
    McWilliams <> writes
    >Chris H wrote:
    >> In message <>, Alan
    >>Browne <> writes

    >>> What exactly did you see in the video.

    >> Multiple rockets being launched
    >>
    >>> Memory that good?

    >> Yes for that sort of thing.
    >>
    >>> Did you record it?

    >> No.
    >>
    >>> Got a link to it?

    >> Not on web but looking for one.

    >My cash is down: No link will be posted showing four missiles firing
    >simultaneously from the same location.

    Have to agree with you it was 3+1 not 4 in one time/place
    Chris H, Jul 12, 2008
  8. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <4877f4e8$0$4999$>, Cynicor
    <> writes
    > wrote:
    >> Dave Cohen wrote:
    >>

    >>> I saw another single shot indicating the last from right stayed on
    >>>the ground. You could infer same from that video but who cares. My
    >>>guess is they simply didn't want to admit failure (ie one out 4
    >>>didn't fire). I don't know why this would bother them, everyone has
    >>>similar mishaps, nothing to be ashamed of. More interesting is what
    >>>these things are good for. With a conventional load it's a terror
    >>>threat. I was in London (Brixton) when we were subjected to V2's.
    >>>Scary but hardly a way to bring a country to it's knees.
    >>> I've heard it suggested and find it fairly convincing that this show
    >>>of force has less to do with impressing their supposed enemies but
    >>>rather is part of a power struggle between moderates and hardliners
    >>>in Iran, the latter wanting to maintain tensions for political gain.

    >> The latter is possible.
    >> However, what it really is for is this:
    >> "We have these missiles that can reach Israel. We have all these
    >> gas centrifuges that are to be used only for peaceful purposes.
    >> The world will have peace only when Israel is wiped off the face of
    >>the earth."
    >> To the Islamic world, that says that Iran is the "real thing".
    >>Pakistan,
    >> of course, is not the real thing since they have had the missiles and
    >>atomic
    >> bombs for years and have not used them.

    >Yeah, well, you know what's not going to happen in our lifetimes?

    You mean you will be dead by the end of the year?

    > Iran sending a nuke at israel.

    Well if Isreal and the US keep threatening Iran, the US keeps using
    dirty tries and insurgence in Iran and Israel keeps blowing up things
    in Iran it has every justification for retaliation

    Chris H, Jul 12, 2008
  9. Chris H

    Cynicor Guest

    Chris H wrote:
    > In message <4877f4e8$0$4999$>, Cynicor
    > <> writes
    >> lid wrote:

    >>> The latter is possible.
    >>> However, what it really is for is this:
    >>> "We have these missiles that can reach Israel. We have all these
    >>> gas centrifuges that are to be used only for peaceful purposes.
    >>> The world will have peace only when Israel is wiped off the face of
    >>> the earth."
    >>> To the Islamic world, that says that Iran is the "real thing".
    >>> Pakistan,
    >>> of course, is not the real thing since they have had the missiles and
    >>> atomic
    >>> bombs for years and have not used them.

    >> Yeah, well, you know what's not going to happen in our lifetimes?

    > You mean you will be dead by the end of the year?
    >
    >> Iran sending a nuke at israel.

    > Well if Isreal and the US keep threatening Iran, the US keeps using
    > dirty tries and insurgence in Iran and Israel keeps blowing up things
    > in Iran it has every justification for retaliation

    No, only the United States has the right to do whatever the hell we want
    anywhere. Just because we started a major war in a neighboring country
    doesn't give Iran any right to show any concern, especially because
    we've already told them that they're next. As our president points out,
    Iran is run by an out-of-control religious psychotic. Unlike us!
    Cynicor, Jul 12, 2008
  10. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <4878a87c$0$7349$>, Cynicor
    <> writes
    >Chris H wrote:
    >> In message <4877f4e8$0$4999$>, Cynicor
    >><> writes

    >>> Yeah, well, you know what's not going to happen in our lifetimes?

    >> You mean you will be dead by the end of the year?
    >>
    >>> Iran sending a nuke at israel.

    >> Well if Isreal and the US keep threatening Iran, the US keeps using
    >>dirty tries and insurgence in Iran and Israel keeps blowing up things
    >>Iran it has every justification for retaliation

    >No, only the United States has the right to do whatever the hell we
    >want anywhere. Just because we started a major war in a neighboring
    >country doesn't give Iran any right to show any concern, especially
    >because we've already told them that they're next. As our president
    >points out, Iran is run by an out-of-control religious psychotic.
    >Unlike us!

    I feel reassured already.... I think GWB should have another term in
    power to finish the job/planet

    Chris H, Jul 12, 2008
  11. Chris H

    RichA Guest

    On Jul 11, 6:18 pm, wrote:
    > Dave Cohen wrote:
    >
    > > I saw another single shot indicating the last from right stayed on the
    > > ground. You could infer same from that video but who cares. My guess is
    > > they simply didn't want to admit failure (ie one out 4 didn't fire). I
    > > don't know why this would bother them, everyone has similar mishaps,
    > > nothing to be ashamed of. More interesting is what these things are good
    > > for. With a conventional load it's a terror threat. I was in London
    > > (Brixton) when we were subjected to V2's. Scary but hardly a way to
    > > bring a country to it's knees.
    > > I've heard it suggested and find it fairly convincing that this show of
    > > force has less to do with impressing their supposed enemies but rather
    > > is part of a power struggle between moderates and hardliners in Iran,
    > > the latter wanting to maintain tensions for political gain.

    > The latter is possible.
    >
    > However, what it really is for is this:
    >
    > "We have these missiles that can reach Israel. We have all these
    > gas centrifuges that are to be used only for peaceful purposes.
    > The world will have peace only when Israel is wiped off the face of the earth."
    >
    > To the Islamic world, that says that Iran is the "real thing". Pakistan,
    > of course, is not the real thing since they have had the missiles and atomic
    > bombs for years and have not used them.

    Yes, you can "trust" them, you know, the country who actively harbours
    terrorists?
    RichA, Jul 12, 2008
  12. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message
    <>,
    RichA <> writes

    >Yes, you can "trust" them, you know, the country who actively harbours
    >terrorists?

    You mean the USA?
    Chris H, Jul 12, 2008
  13. Chris H wrote:
    > In message
    > <>,
    > RichA <> writes
    >>
    >> Yes, you can "trust" them, you know, the country who actively harbours
    >> terrorists?

    > You mean the USA?

    No, the US actively breeds terrorists. They have distributed countless
    videos showing how it is done. Paris Hilton is the instructress.

    Cal
    Cal I Fornicate, Jul 12, 2008
  14. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Alan Browne
    <> writes
    >Chris H wrote:
    >
    >> 3 out of 4 went and then a shot of a single rocket. 4 in all but...
    >>no telling when or where the 4th one was fired.

    >Missiles are complex beasts and it doesn't take much for one to fail to
    >launch.

    IT shouldn't happen though.... mid you the most notorious missiles for
    mis-fires is the US Patriot system
    Chris H, Jul 13, 2008
  15. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Alan Browne
    <> writes
    >Chris H wrote:
    >> In message <>, Alan
    >>Browne <> writes

    >>> Missiles are complex beasts and it doesn't take much for one to fail
    >>>to launch.

    >> IT shouldn't happen though.... mid you the most notorious missiles
    >>for mis-fires is the US Patriot system

    >Of course it should happen. Machines are fallible and missiles not
    >less so. If some parameter is not in limits; if a BITE fail flag is
    >up; if a watchdog does not get reset (and a dozen other checks) the
    >missile should not fire. Safety first. And then after all the safety
    >checks, the firing circuit might simply not go for a dozen different
    >reasons from the basics of power supply loose cables, shorts, ...
    >
    >As to the Patriot, if memory serves me well, there were at least two
    >phases of deployment and missiles in the 2nd phases (and later) were
    >quite reliable.

    I have more than a passing familiarity with this sort of thing. :)

    Chris H, Jul 13, 2008