Re: ipsec VTI ip address

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bod43, Mar 3, 2010.

  1. bod43

    bod43 Guest

    On 2 Mar, 21:35, "Graham Turner" <> wrote:
    > This is post re. the configuration of the tunnel interface for the purpose
    > of static VTI between two IOS hosts.
    >
    > Just wanted to see what the issues were with the 'ip address' of the tunnel
    > interface
    >
    > seems we have a number of options;
    >
    > static ip address
    > ip unnumbered [loopback or other interface]
    > no ip address
    >
    > are there are any pro's and con's of either, as it is just i recall some
    > issues with perhaps the use of 'ip unnumbered' in some instances ?

    If you want to route IP traffic across the link then you
    will need an IP address.

    Unless you have a good reason to do otherwise use
    static IP address. If you use ip unnumbered there
    are certain hop by hop troubleshooting strategies
    that don't work. You can't ping individual interfaces.

    bod43, Mar 3, 2010