Re: IPKall with Sipgate

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Steve Hayes, Jun 4, 2009.

  1. Steve Hayes

    Steve Hayes Guest

    Mark Ingle wrote:

    > I'm trying out a sipgate account on my Starcom phone, and it is working
    > great for incoming and outgoing local calls.
    >
    > I did a web search and some have reported that they have had no problems
    > registering an IPKall US phone number with Sipgate, but I can't get it
    > to work. I initially thought that it might take longer to set the
    > service up, but it has been a couple of days and it still isn't working.
    >
    > There are not really any settings to configure, apart from the SIP proxy
    > which I have put as sipgate.co.uk
    >
    > Any ideas? When someone tried to phone me yesterday they said the phone
    > just kept on ringing; I tried a couple of times today from my Draytel
    > account, and I just got a long period of silence followed by a busy
    > tone.
    >
    > Thank you for signing up. Your IPKall phone number is: 253-xxx-xxx.
    > SIP Phone Number: xxxxxx
    > SIP Proxy: sipgate.co.uk

    I haven't tried to use this for years since it didn't do quite what I wanted
    but...

    If you have a static IP address where your Sipgate phone is installed (e.g.
    your ATA), try setting the number you point your IPKall number to as your 8
    digit Sipgate number and the proxy as your own IP address. If you have a
    dynamic IP address and are registered with a dynamic DNS service, you should
    be able to use the address this gives you for the proxy.

    Basically, this has IPKall send the call directly to you instead of via
    Sipgate. The number needs to match or your phone/ATA will reject the call.

    What it won't do is ring phones at more than one location, allow forwarding
    (IPKall don't accept the redirect) or go to Sipgate voice mail. Those are
    the reasons I gave up on it.

    You'll probably have to forward at least port 5060 on your router to the
    phone or ATA. Otherwise, notification of incoming calls will get blocked at
    your firewall.

    Good luck.
    --
    Steve Hayes, South Wales, U.K.
    ---Please remove colours from address--
    Steve Hayes, Jun 4, 2009

  2. Steve Hayes

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:h08e3v$1irm$,
    Steve Hayes <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    :
[...]

    Sipgate don't peer with IPKall. They used to but it was blocked for some
    reason a couple of years ago. From what I understand the block was
    supposed to have been removed but something needed to be set at IPKall's
    end but so far hasn't been. That's the extent of my info and that's a
    couple of years out of date so it looks like nothing has changed.

    I had a FWD number I used to use to terminate my IPKall number, now that's
    died I point it at my Gradwell account.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 6, 2009

  3. Steve Hayes

    Steve Hayes Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > In news:h08e3v$1irm$,
    > Steve Hayes <> typed, for some strange,
    > unexplained reason:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > : I haven't tried to use this for years since it didn't do quite what I
    > : wanted but...
    > :
    > : If you have a static IP address where your Sipgate phone is installed
    > : (e.g. your ATA), try setting the number you point your IPKall number
    > : to as your 8 digit Sipgate number and the proxy as your own IP
    > : address. If you have a dynamic IP address and are registered with a
    > : dynamic DNS service, you should be able to use the address this gives
    > : you for the proxy.
    > :
    > : Basically, this has IPKall send the call directly to you instead of
    > : via Sipgate. The number needs to match or your phone/ATA will reject
    > : the call.
    > :
    > : What it won't do is ring phones at more than one location, allow
    > : forwarding (IPKall don't accept the redirect) or go to Sipgate voice
    > : mail. Those are the reasons I gave up on it.
    > :
    > : You'll probably have to forward at least port 5060 on your router to
    > : the phone or ATA. Otherwise, notification of incoming calls will get
    > : blocked at your firewall.
    > :
    > : Good luck.
    >
    > Sipgate don't peer with IPKall. They used to but it was blocked for some
    > reason a couple of years ago. From what I understand the block was
    > supposed to have been removed but something needed to be set at IPKall's
    > end but so far hasn't been. That's the extent of my info and that's a
    > couple of years out of date so it looks like nothing has changed.
    >
    > I had a FWD number I used to use to terminate my IPKall number, now that's
    > died I point it at my Gradwell account.
    >
    > Ivor

    My experience was exactly the same. At one time, IPKall could be pointed to
    Sipgate (and Sipgate was very unreliable). Then Sipgate changed things. They
    became reliable but would no longer accept calls via IPKall (collateral
    damage, I assume). I remember you posting about this at the time - thanks.

    When this happened, I alighted on the solution I described. The call never
    touches Sipgate themselves and it worked fine except, as I said, it didn't
    do quite what I wanted. The biggest problem for me was that redirecting
    calls in the normal fashion wouldn't work (because IPKall wouldn't accept a
    redirect) and it wasn't used enough to justify making an additional visit to
    IPKall's website every time to change the forwarding there as well. It may
    well do all that the original poster needs without them having to open a
    separate account and have a phone or ATA able to handle multiple accounts.

    I'd try it again to see if it still works (I don't see why it wouldn't) but
    my IPKall number has probably expired by now.

    A related observation: I notice that, where the Sipgate website used to have
    peering details for a lot of other networks, there are only one or two left.
    Have the others folded or are they and/or Sipgate themselves not
    cooperating, perhaps in the understandable hope of getting some revenue?
    Whatever, the method I described can also be used with at least some phones
    or ATAs to call users of different networks directly. I managed to do this
    with a pair of SPA3102s but it was a lot harder than it should be since the
    default configurations seem to lie about their IP addresses.

    --
    Steve Hayes
    South Wales, UK
    Steve Hayes, Jun 8, 2009