Re: IPCONFIG.EXE

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Char Jackson, Oct 11, 2010.

  1. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Guest

    On 11 Oct 2010 20:53:55 +0200, doofus <> wrote:

    >When you run ipconfig.exe does it go out to the internet?

    No.

    >Where does ipconfig read the name of your wireless card from?

    It gets its info from the Registry, although the name of the wireless
    card isn't included in its output, at least here on my systems.
    Char Jackson, Oct 11, 2010

  2. Char Jackson

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Char Jackson
    <> wrote:

    > On 11 Oct 2010 20:53:55 +0200, doofus <> wrote:
    >
    >>When you run ipconfig.exe does it go out to the internet?

    > No.
    >
    >>Where does ipconfig read the name of your wireless card from?

    > It gets its info from the Registry, although the name of the wireless
    > card isn't included in its output, at least here on my systems.

    On my XP Pro SP3 system, ipconfig /all shows the name of the wireless
    and wired network adapters, for example:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Oct 11, 2010

  3. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Guest

    On 11 Oct 2010 19:40:18 GMT, Bert Hyman <> wrote:

    >In news: Char Jackson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> On 11 Oct 2010 20:53:55 +0200, doofus <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>When you run ipconfig.exe does it go out to the internet?

    >> No.
    >>
    >>>Where does ipconfig read the name of your wireless card from?

    >> It gets its info from the Registry, although the name of the wireless
    >> card isn't included in its output, at least here on my systems.

    >On my XP Pro SP3 system, ipconfig /all shows the name of the wireless
    >and wired network adapters, for example:
    >
    >Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    >Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

    Oh, is that what he meant? On my XP Pro SP3 system, they are described
    as NVIDIA Network Controller and NVIDIA Network Controller #2. Not
    very descriptive.
    Char Jackson, Oct 11, 2010
  4. Char Jackson

    meetoo Guest

    Bert Hyman <> wrote in

    > In news: Char Jackson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 11 Oct 2010 20:53:55 +0200, doofus <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>When you run ipconfig.exe does it go out to the internet?

    >> No.
    >>
    >>>Where does ipconfig read the name of your wireless card from?

    >> It gets its info from the Registry, although the name of the wireless
    >> card isn't included in its output, at least here on my systems.

    > On my XP Pro SP3 system, ipconfig /all shows the name of the wireless
    > and wired network adapters, for example:
    >
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG
    > Network Connection Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R)
    > PRO/100 VE Network Connection

    Yes, it shows the name of my adapter also. There are about 50 entries
    in the XP registry with the same name of the adapter, but I have no idea
    which registry entry ipconfig reads, IF that is where it is coming from
    instead of a query to the device itself.
    meetoo, Oct 11, 2010
  5. Char Jackson

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Char Jackson
    <> wrote:

    > On 11 Oct 2010 19:40:18 GMT, Bert Hyman <> wrote:
    >
    >>In news: Char Jackson
    >><> wrote:

    >>> No.

    >>> It gets its info from the Registry, although the name of the
    >>> wireless card isn't included in its output, at least here on my
    >>> systems.

    >>On my XP Pro SP3 system, ipconfig /all shows the name of the wireless
    >>and wired network adapters, for example:
    >>
    >>Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG
    >>Network Connection Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R)
    >>PRO/100 VE Network Connection

    > Oh, is that what he meant?

    Well, that's my guess.

    > On my XP Pro SP3 system, they are described as NVIDIA Network
    > Controller and NVIDIA Network Controller #2. Not very descriptive.

    Not very nice of Nvidia :)

    At least in my case, there's enough info that I could figure out what drivers
    I needed if I just found the machine somewhere.

    That was my laptop; my "real" machine says

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller

    Again, I think I could probably find drivers with that much info.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Oct 12, 2010