Re: IP address?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fred Orton, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Fred Orton

    Fred Orton Guest

    A dynamic ip address is assigned by the dhcp server of your ISP (Internet
    Service Provider). This address can change as much as every 2 hours, or as
    little as once per year. It depends entirely on the ISP in question.

    This change is totally invisible to the user. The only time this would
    affect you, is if you were trying to run a web server, game server, file
    server or something of the like on your system. Since most residential
    systems do not allow this anyway, it is usually not a consideration.

    Fixed ip addresses, are address that the ISP has assigned to your
    connection. This is usually done for companies that are hosting their own
    servers - for email, web & such, and there is usually an extra charge for
    both the increased service level, and the fixed ip address.

    To sum up, if you are getting residential high-speed internet, and are only
    going to be using it as residential, a dynamic ip address will not hurt you
    at all.

    Hope this helps,

    Fred.

    Fred Orton, Jul 13, 2003