Re: IP address?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Me2U, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Me2U

    Me2U Guest

    JP wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Whats the different between a static and dynamic IP address? Should I be
    > concerned? I am signing up for residential use.
    >
    > Thanks

    Static IP doesn't change and is good if you want to run a server.
    Dynamic IP does change and is better if you want to make it more difficult to have some forum or newsgroup to put an IP block on you. If you are
    getting DSL or cable and can get an Static IP, but also have a large number of hours you can do by modem and dialup, then that is what you want so you
    can have both options covered.

    from; http://www.privacyfoundation.org/resources/glossary.asp#IP Address

    An IP address is a number that identifies a computer that is linked to
    the Internet. When displayed, an IP address is typically written as four
    numbers separated by periods. Example: 24.12.33.56.
    TOP OF PAGE

    IP Address, Dynamic
    A dynamic IP address is one that changes everytime you go online.
    Dial-up accounts get a new IP address everytime one dials up.
    TOP OF PAGE

    IP Address, Static
    A static IP address is one that does not change everytime you go
    online. It is thus a flag to one computer.
    TOP OF PAGE

    Me2U, Jul 13, 2003