Re: IP address question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Gary Puppet" <> wrote in message
    > If some one logs off their ISP (dial up level13.net), then some one
    > else logs onto Level 13, can the second person be allocated the IP
    > address that the first person just stopped using?
    >
    > I hope that made sense ;)
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > Junfan

    Yep. There is an even a method whereby two or more users can use the same
    IP!
    Cable/dsl users are assigned more permanent IP's since they are constantly
    online.
    Which can change through the ISP if needed.

    Think of dialup IP as a small business with a hundred telephone numbers.
    When number 101 is reached, number 101 gets a busy signal.
    When 101 does get through, he may be on the same line that number 33 was
    previously.
    When 33 calls back in, he may get the same line 72 had.

    Richard, Jun 28, 2003

  2. Richard

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Richard said:

    > "Gary Puppet" <> wrote in message
    >> If some one logs off their ISP (dial up level13.net), then some one
    >> else logs onto Level 13, can the second person be allocated the IP
    >> address that the first person just stopped using?
    >>
    >> I hope that made sense ;)
    >> Thanks in advance for any help.
    >>
    >> Junfan
    >>

    > Yep. There is an even a method whereby two or more users can use the same
    > IP!
    > Cable/dsl users are assigned more permanent IP's since they are constantly
    > online.
    > Which can change through the ISP if needed.
    >
    > Think of dialup IP as a small business with a hundred telephone numbers.
    > When number 101 is reached, number 101 gets a busy signal.
    > When 101 does get through, he may be on the same line that number 33 was
    > previously.
    > When 33 calls back in, he may get the same line 72 had.

    You contradict yourself again, the last part of waht you say is *very*
    important, "he may get the same line 72 had"
    Have you spotted your mistake yet? No? Did you see you used the word *had* ?
    So 2 people can't be *using the same* IP.

    Brian H¹©, Jun 28, 2003

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    ?
    > So 2 people can't be *using the same* IP.

    It would probably take a rocket scientist to explain it to you.

    http://www.emine.com.tw/emine.ipsharing.htm

    Richard, Jun 28, 2003
  4. Richard

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:37:10 -0500, Richard wrote:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Errrrr...erm... Richard said:
    >>
    >> > "Gary Puppet" <> wrote in message

    >> > Yep. There is an even a method whereby two or more users can use the

    > same
    >> > IP!
    >> > Cable/dsl users are assigned more permanent IP's since they are

    > constantly
    >> > online.
    >> > Which can change through the ISP if needed.
    >> >
    >> > Think of dialup IP as a small business with a hundred telephone numbers.
    >> > When number 101 is reached, number 101 gets a busy signal.
    >> > When 101 does get through, he may be on the same line that number 33 was
    >> > previously.
    >> > When 33 calls back in, he may get the same line 72 had.

    >> You contradict yourself again, the last part of waht you say is *very*
    >> important, "he may get the same line 72 had"
    >> Have you spotted your mistake yet? No? Did you see you used the word *had*

    > ?
    >> So 2 people can't be *using the same* IP.
    >>

    > It would probably take a rocket scientist to explain it to you.

    Uh St00pid, he didn't say it can't be done. He said what you described was
    not "two or more users can use the same IP!"
    [snip]

    --
    "What a nitwit"

    Jimchip, Jun 29, 2003
  5. Richard

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:12:16 -0000, Jimchip wrote:

    <snip>
    >Uh St00pid, he didn't say it can't be done. He said what you described was
    >not "two or more users can use the same IP!"
    >[snip]

    Hoo boy, that LSD enema he gave himself must have been strong stuff, from the
    replies I'm seeing.

    "I wonder if it felt cold when he put the nozzle in his ear."

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Jun 29, 2003
  6. Richard

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Richard said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Errrrr...erm... Richard said:
    >>
    >>> "Gary Puppet" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yep. There is an even a method whereby two or more users can use the same
    >>> IP!
    >>> Cable/dsl users are assigned more permanent IP's since they are constantly
    >>> online.
    >>> Which can change through the ISP if needed.
    >>>
    >>> Think of dialup IP as a small business with a hundred telephone numbers.
    >>> When number 101 is reached, number 101 gets a busy signal.
    >>> When 101 does get through, he may be on the same line that number 33 was
    >>> previously.
    >>> When 33 calls back in, he may get the same line 72 had.

    >> You contradict yourself again, the last part of waht you say is *very*
    >> important, "he may get the same line 72 had"
    >> Have you spotted your mistake yet? No? Did you see you used the word *had* ?
    >> So 2 people can't be *using the same* IP.
    >>

    > It would probably take a rocket scientist to explain it to you.

    And as you are a zillion miles from being a rocket scientist, you don't stand a
    snowballs chance in hell of explaining anything to anyone.

    Brian H¹©, Jun 29, 2003
  7. Richard

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:25:45 -0500, Mara wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:12:16 -0000, Jimchip wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >>Uh St00pid, he didn't say it can't be done. He said what you described was
    >>not "two or more users can use the same IP!"
    >>[snip]

    > Hoo boy, that LSD enema he gave himself must have been strong stuff, from the
    > replies I'm seeing.

    I don't know about the enema part. They told him it was 'good blotter' and
    sold him an old roll of toilet paper.

    > "I wonder if it felt cold when he put the nozzle in his ear."

    He's been chewing sheet after sheet all day.

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

    Jimchip, Jun 29, 2003
  8. Richard

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:37:10 -0500, "Richard" <anom@anom> scribbled:

    >It would probably take a rocket scientist to explain it to you.

    No, St00pid, it would take a god to hammer a clue into that
    concrete block you call a head. Two people CANNOT have
    the same IP address, period. What that router does is something
    called NAT, something I won't bother explaining to you.

    --

    Exxy is my hero!

    -= Hawk =-, Jun 29, 2003
  9. Richard

    Iceman© Guest

    hehe things never change :)

    Iceman©, Jun 30, 2003
  10. Richard

    ShadyJ Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:37:10 -0500, "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:

    -snip

    >It would probably take a rocket scientist to explain it to you.
    >
    >http://www.emine.com.tw/emine.ipsharing.htm

    This is called Network Address Translation (NAT) with private IPs.
    They are not sharing the same ip addresses

    ShadyJ
    Remove yourunderware to reply.

    ShadyJ, Jun 30, 2003