Re: IP address dispalyed on desktop , how

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by alan, Nov 11, 2010.

  1. alan

    alan Guest

    "Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:38:52 -0000, "Information"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Id like my ip address to b permantly displayed on my desktop
    >>somehow , updating ..say every 5 mins or so , and capable of
    >>being COPY/PASTE
    >>
    >>im tunning XP
    >>
    >>any ideas

    > A couple.
    > Your English needs serious work.
    > Your IP is not going to change.

    Learn the difference between a "static IP address" and a dynamic IP
    address".
    If it's dynamic, it will change every time the computer is connected to the
    internet.

    Why the OP wants to be constantly aware of his IP address is beyond me, but
    even if it's dynamic, it will not be changing (or "updating") every five
    minutes.

    To the OP: if you want to know what your IP address is, double-click on the
    connection icon on your taskbar, then select "support" tab, which will
    display your IP address. Even if you have a dynamic IP, it will not change
    again until you turn your computer on again . . .
    alan, Nov 11, 2010

  2. alan

    Mike Easter Guest

    alan wrote:

    > To the OP: if you want to know what your IP address is, double-click on
    > the connection icon on your taskbar, then select "support" tab, which
    > will display your IP address.

    If the computer's IP is provided to him by a NAT device such as a router
    or gateway device, then the IP he will see there (Connection/ support)
    is the LAN IP such as 192.168.1.109, not the WAN which he wants.

    Similarly the IP address seen in ipconfig.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 11, 2010

  3. alan wrote:

    > Learn the difference between a "static IP address" and a dynamic IP
    > address". If it's dynamic, it will change every time the computer is
    > connected to the internet.

    Please explain to me how, after moving into in my house three years ago,
    I am currently on my third _dynamic_ IP address. That would be the
    original IP when service was established by my cable company, and two
    renewals each after two separate more-than-two-day power outages. And
    yes, the computer has on several occasions been turned off for more than
    five days at a time.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 11, 2010
  4. alan

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-11-11, alan <> wrote:

    > "Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:38:52 -0000, "Information"
    >> <> wrote:

    [...]

    > Why the OP wants to be constantly aware of his IP address is beyond me, but
    > even if it's dynamic, it will not be changing (or "updating") every five
    > minutes.

    [...]

    Vague reference to a security camera in his second post to this thread,
    suggests that perhaps the OP wants to be able to log in to his home
    network from anywhere to watch his valuables being stolen, or something.

    If his ISP has given him a static IP, he can just use that in the URL of
    whatever 'server' he has running to show the camera image. If his IP
    number is 'dynamic' and he thinks it might change for some reason while
    he's away from home with his network running and 'on line', then as others
    have suggested one of the free 'dynamic DNS' services would be the answer
    - his router probably has the necessary firmware to automatically report
    its internet IP number to such a service.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 11, 2010
  5. alan

    alan Guest

    > alan wrote:
    >
    >> Learn the difference between a "static IP address" and a dynamic IP
    >> address". If it's dynamic, it will change every time the computer is
    >> connected to the internet.

    > Please explain to me how, after moving into in my house three years ago,
    > I am currently on my third _dynamic_ IP address. That would be the
    > original IP when service was established by my cable company, and two
    > renewals each after two separate more-than-two-day power outages. And
    > yes, the computer has on several occasions been turned off for more than
    > five days at a time.

    That's strange. I'm unable to explain that. Speaking from my experience
    only, every time I turn my computer back on, my IP address is different . .
    .. Perhaps Mike Easter can explain?
    alan, Nov 12, 2010
  6. alan

    Mike Easter Guest

    alan wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    >> alan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Learn the difference between a "static IP address" and a dynamic IP
    >>> address". If it's dynamic, it will change every time the computer is
    >>> connected to the internet.

    >> Please explain to me how, after moving into in my house three years ago,
    >> I am currently on my third _dynamic_ IP address. That would be the
    >> original IP when service was established by my cable company, and two
    >> renewals each after two separate more-than-two-day power outages. And
    >> yes, the computer has on several occasions been turned off for more than
    >> five days at a time.

    > That's strange. I'm unable to explain that. Speaking from my
    > experience only, every time I turn my computer back on, my IP address is
    > different . . . Perhaps Mike Easter can explain?

    I'll try to explain if I knew the nature of each person's connectivity.

    I'll use two hypothetical examples. If a person has a cable modem, then
    that cable modem acquires a new 'lease' every so often. My current lease
    will be up in about 4 hours. When my current lease expires and I get a
    new lease on the IP, the IP of my new lease will be the same as the IP
    of my old lease.

    That lease renew lease goes on and on and on, because there isn't a
    likely mechanism by which the old IP will be 'lost' to someone else,
    because everyone else in my network neighborhood is just getting their
    old IP lease back again.

    When I leave home, I most often leave my cable modem turned on, because
    the cable people would rather that you do that because it is possible
    that there might be a need to upgrade something during the time that you
    are gone from home, and if your cable modem is turned off, then the
    upgrade could not happen properly errmm at all.

    So, even if the computer/s and the router are turned off while I am
    gone, the cable modem is still on and still getting its lease renewed
    with the same IP.

    But, even if you turn the cable modem off for a while or even days. It
    is highly likely that during that time no one else will have taken your
    old IP because those other people's renewals are still getting their
    same IP. But, your IP is still considered dynamic because of how it
    works. Some people who have static IPs may have to have their static
    assigned IP changed for some reason or another and so it is possible
    that a person with a static IP might have their IP changed more times in
    3 years than a person with a dynamic cable modem IP happened to have
    their IP changed by happenstance.

    But I don't know what alan's situation is. If he gets a new IP everytime
    he turns his computer on and logs in, then he likely has a dialup
    connection.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 12, 2010
  7. Mike Easter wrote:

    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    >>> ... the original IP when service was established by my cable company ...

    > I'll try to explain if I knew the nature of each person's connectivity.

    You know what mine is. <g>

    I don't turn off the cable modem because the digital phone works through
    it as well.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 12, 2010
  8. alan

    alan Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > alan wrote:

    >>> Please explain to me how, after moving into in my house three years ago,
    >>> I am currently on my third _dynamic_ IP address. That would be the
    >>> original IP when service was established by my cable company, and two
    >>> renewals each after two separate more-than-two-day power outages. And
    >>> yes, the computer has on several occasions been turned off for more than
    >>> five days at a time.

    >> That's strange. I'm unable to explain that. Speaking from my experience
    >> only, every time I turn my computer back on, my IP address is different .
    >> . . Perhaps Mike Easter can explain?

    > I'll try to explain if I knew the nature of each person's connectivity.
    >
    > I'll use two hypothetical examples. If a person has a cable modem, then
    > that cable modem acquires a new 'lease' every so often. My current lease
    > will be up in about 4 hours. When my current lease expires and I get a new
    > lease on the IP, the IP of my new lease will be the same as the IP of my
    > old lease.
    >
    > That lease renew lease goes on and on and on, because there isn't a likely
    > mechanism by which the old IP will be 'lost' to someone else, because
    > everyone else in my network neighborhood is just getting their old IP
    > lease back again.
    >
    > When I leave home, I most often leave my cable modem turned on, because
    > the cable people would rather that you do that because it is possible that
    > there might be a need to upgrade something during the time that you are
    > gone from home, and if your cable modem is turned off, then the upgrade
    > could not happen properly errmm at all.
    >
    > So, even if the computer/s and the router are turned off while I am gone,
    > the cable modem is still on and still getting its lease renewed with the
    > same IP.
    >
    > But, even if you turn the cable modem off for a while or even days. It is
    > highly likely that during that time no one else will have taken your old
    > IP because those other people's renewals are still getting their same IP.
    > But, your IP is still considered dynamic because of how it works. Some
    > people who have static IPs may have to have their static assigned IP
    > changed for some reason or another and so it is possible that a person
    > with a static IP might have their IP changed more times in 3 years than a
    > person with a dynamic cable modem IP happened to have their IP changed by
    > happenstance.
    >
    > But I don't know what alan's situation is. If he gets a new IP everytime
    > he turns his computer on and logs in, then he likely has a dialup
    > connection.

    Nope --- DSL from AT&T, Speedstream 4100 modem; using XP Pro SP3.
    alan, Nov 12, 2010
  9. alan

    Mike Easter Guest

    alan wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> But I don't know what alan's situation is. If he gets a new IP
    >> everytime he turns his computer on and logs in, then he likely has a
    >> dialup connection.

    > Nope --- DSL from AT&T, Speedstream 4100 modem; using XP Pro SP3.

    Some DSL disengages and re-engages in such a way as to resemble a dialup
    in terms of changing IPs, while some other DSL acts more like a cable
    modem, except that the IP doesn't tend to stick as long.

    (But) I have no personal experience with DSL.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 12, 2010
  10. alan

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 12/11/2010 07:31, Andy wrote:
    > alan wrote:
    >

    >> "Barry OGrady"<> wrote in message

    >>> A couple.
    >>> Your English needs serious work.
    >>> Your IP is not going to change.

    >> Learn the difference between a "static IP address" and a dynamic IP
    >> address".
    >> If it's dynamic, it will change every time the computer is connected to the
    >> internet.

    > Sorry, but this is largely incorrect, dynamic IP or not.
    >
    >> Why the OP wants to be constantly aware of his IP address is beyond me, but
    >> even if it's dynamic, it will not be changing (or "updating") every five
    >> minutes.

    > It's unlikely to change much at all, unless he experiences an extended
    > outage to his internet service. Even then, DHCP leases are usually set
    > to live for a number of days before expiring.
    >
    >> To the OP: if you want to know what your IP address is, double-click on the
    >> connection icon on your taskbar, then select "support" tab, which will
    >> display your IP address. Even if you have a dynamic IP, it will not change
    >> again until you turn your computer on again . . .

    > If he's connected to the internet via a NAT-ing router, he'll simply
    > have his LAN IP address displayed (something like 192.168.1.2 or
    > 10.0.0.2) which won't help him whatsoever.
    >
    > To the OP, sounds like you're after 'BGInfo' from SysInternals:
    >
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897557.aspx
    >
    > HTH.

    Looks very much like http://www.kewlit.com/whoami/ which creates a
    bitmap image. Only updates when you run the program which I suppose one
    could schedule......
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 12, 2010
  11. alan

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Mike Easter <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >I'll try to explain if I knew the nature of each person's connectivity.

    >I'll use two hypothetical examples. If a person has a cable modem, then
    >that cable modem acquires a new 'lease' every so often. My current lease
    >will be up in about 4 hours. When my current lease expires and I get a
    >new lease on the IP, the IP of my new lease will be the same as the IP
    >of my old lease.

    That isn't guaranteed, but the DHCP server will certainly try to
    give you the same one. It will give it to you during the lease
    period and try to do so outside of that period. It depends on
    how many IP addresses are available and how many are needed/used.

    >That lease renew lease goes on and on and on, because there isn't a
    >likely mechanism by which the old IP will be 'lost' to someone else,
    >because everyone else in my network neighborhood is just getting their
    >old IP lease back again.

    >When I leave home, I most often leave my cable modem turned on, because
    >the cable people would rather that you do that because it is possible
    >that there might be a need to upgrade something during the time that you
    >are gone from home, and if your cable modem is turned off, then the
    >upgrade could not happen properly errmm at all.

    I can't speak for your ISP's setup, but my cable/phone modem has
    two internal (10.*.*.*) addresses and my router holds the lease.

    >So, even if the computer/s and the router are turned off while I am
    >gone, the cable modem is still on and still getting its lease renewed
    >with the same IP.

    Turning off the router can get you (or me, at any rate) a new IP
    address, but this can take any amount of time. I needed to force
    a new address once, so I had the router use the MAC address of
    a computer I own for a week. Since the lease is registered to
    the MAC a new lease for a different IP was issued. It took a
    week till I could get a new IP for the router's real MAC address
    even though the leases are issued for no longer than 24 hours.

    >But, even if you turn the cable modem off for a while or even days. It
    >is highly likely that during that time no one else will have taken your
    >old IP because those other people's renewals are still getting their
    >same IP. But, your IP is still considered dynamic because of how it
    >works. Some people who have static IPs may have to have their static
    >assigned IP changed for some reason or another and so it is possible
    >that a person with a static IP might have their IP changed more times in
    >3 years than a person with a dynamic cable modem IP happened to have
    >their IP changed by happenstance.

    You should check the modem's IP (if possible) and not the
    router's IP.

    >But I don't know what alan's situation is. If he gets a new IP everytime
    >he turns his computer on and logs in, then he likely has a dialup
    >connection.

    Or an ISP with a pool of IP addresses that is barely adequate.

    Mike "correct answer: it depends" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Nov 12, 2010