Re: IP address dispalyed on desktop , how

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Nov 11, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Information wrote:
    > Id like my ip address to b permantly displayed on my desktop
    > somehow , updating ..say every 5 mins or so , and capable of
    > being COPY/PASTE
    >
    > im tunning XP
    >
    > any ideas

    Are you using a router or not?

    The difference is where the WAN IP is going to come from. If you are
    using a router, your IP in the ipconfig and similar sources is going to
    be the LAN IP like 192.168.1.189.

    Then you would have to get your WAN IP from the router or the modem or a
    WhatIsMyIP site.

    Rather than addressing what you (think you) want to do, it would likely
    be better for you to explain why you think that displaying your IP on
    your desktop updated every 5 minutes would be at all useful.

    If your connectivity is cable, the/your IP is going to 'stick' to you
    for perhaps months at a time. If your connectivity is DSL, the/your IP
    is going to stick to you less consistently than cable. If your
    connectivity is dialup, the/your 'new' IP is going to be acquired when
    you connect by dialup and then it is going to stay the same for that
    session. It wouldn't need to be updated every 5 minutes.

    If you are using some kind of funky web proxifying, then you need to
    address that subject in your question because it would affect how you
    are going to get the IP.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 11, 2010

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Information wrote:
    > <my cite>
    >> Rather than addressing what you (think you) want to do, it would likely
    >> be better for you to explain why you think that displaying your IP on your
    >> desktop updated every 5 minutes would be at all useful.

    > Mike - the IP is normally obtained by http://www.whatsmyip.org/
    > and copied and pasted into security camera configuration

    I can get my WAN IP from more places than a whatismyip-type website.

    I can get it from my router's Gateway or my router's logger.

    The whatismyip.NET site (instead of .org) has an auto-function to copy
    the IP into the clipboard.

    You still didn't say how you are connecting, but there is no need to put
    the IP on the desktop every 5 minutes. The IP is either not going to
    (not likely to) change for months (cable) or it is not going to change
    for any given connection session (dialup or DSL).

    Someone who knows how to write a script could help you paste it somewhere.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 11, 2010

  3. Mike Easter

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 11/11/2010 15:18, Information wrote:
    >> Rather than addressing what you (think you) want to do, it would likely
    >> be better for you to explain why you think that displaying your IP on your
    >> desktop updated every 5 minutes would be at all useful.

    > Mike - the IP is normally obtained by http://www.whatsmyip.org/
    > and copied and pasted into security camera configuration

    Get a dyndns domain and their software so you don't need to worry about
    IP addresses and just remember a domain name. It's free.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 11, 2010