Re: IP address conflict with 2 laptops!?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 22, 2007.

  1. Hi

    The range of the DHCP might be too small and need to needs expanded so it
    can assign more IPs.

    In addition, I would suggest that you put the Netgear MP101 music player on
    a static IP out of the range of the DHCP.

    It is better to put Network devices that are used by other Network clients
    on a static IP so they can be always found in the same address.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 22, 2007

  2. Hi
    Depends on how the IP table works many Routers would not assign the same IP
    to the same device when it switched Off an On again.

    When you have a devices like, Network Printer, Network Storage, or Music
    Server, that are accessed from all Network's computers you want theses
    device to be found in the same IP address. (Would like your favorite
    restaurant to be moved every day from one location to the other ;) ).

    Static IP insure s that the device is always at the same address.

    As an example, if the range of you DHCP is, x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.199 assigns a
    Static IP of x.x.x.50 or x.x.x.200, so it is not conflicting with the DHCP
    assigning.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 22, 2007

  3. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    Lem Guest

    musiclover wrote:
    > THANKS Lem and Jack. dont think i have it figured out yet.
    > The DHCP server is on and all the devices obtain IP automatically. I just
    > urned them all on and then 'repaired' my second laptop's IP and it works
    > for now.
    > the range listed in the router config page is ...100 to ...199 and right now
    > the main desktop computer has 100, 101, 102(why does it have 3??)
    > the laptops have 103 1nd 104 and the music player has 105.
    > the music player also requests an IP every time it comes on. but it can be
    > set to a static address - is that really necessary? what out-of-range
    > address would i use? does the music player send it to the router every time
    > it comes on? the problem started when the music player was off, so how does
    > that help avoid my problem?

    To add just a little bit to Jack's info, the allowable range in what is
    called your local subnet is x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.255. Usually, the router
    itself is x.x.x.1. Thus, if the router assigns addresses in the range
    x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.199, you can use anything from x.x.x.2 through
    x.x.x.99 and x.x.x.200 through x.x.x.255. That's why Jack suggested
    using 50 or 200.

    Your main computer should not have 3 IP addresses, unless you have three
    separate network connections to the router (wire, wire, wireless?). See
    if there is a "Refresh" button on your router's display of assigned IP
    addresses. The main computer may simply have been assigned these 3 IPs
    at different times. I have been fooled this way by forgetting to
    "refresh" the DHCP assigned IP address table display.

    You could also open a command prompt window on the main computer and
    type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes; press enter). This will show you
    what IP address(es) your computer thinks it has been assigned. If there
    is more than one, it will show you which hardware adapater is assigned
    which address, and you should be able to figure things out from there.
    (This command will also show the IP address of a "Gateway." That is
    your router's IP address.)

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 23, 2007
  4. So now one day later the main desktop has again received 3 IP addresses, this
    time 102, 103, 104. it does this automatically somehow - what's up with that?

    maybe it would work better to assign a permanent address to every device in
    the network?
    --
    musicman toronto

    =?Utf-8?B?bXVzaWNsb3Zlcg==?=, Jan 25, 2007
  5. i just tried using 'RUN' with ipconfig /all and something flashed on the
    screen in DOS format, then went away in half a second. tried again, same
    thing.
    --
    musicman toronto

    =?Utf-8?B?bXVzaWNsb3Zlcg==?=, Jan 25, 2007
  6. what is DHCP lease time? options are from 1 hour to 1 week. it is set at 1
    hour.
    --
    musicman toronto

    =?Utf-8?B?bXVzaWNsb3Zlcg==?=, Jan 25, 2007
  7. Hi
    Type first into the Run bar cmd and press enter.
    At the command box's prompt type ipconfig/all

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 25, 2007
  8. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    Lem Guest

    musiclover wrote:
    > what is DHCP lease time? options are from 1 hour to 1 week. it is set at 1
    > hour.

    This shouldn't really matter, but set it to 1 week. The DHCP server on
    your router "leases" IP addresses to the devices on the network for a
    period of time. After 50% of the lease time has passed, the client will
    attempt to renew the lease. Any time the client boots and the lease is
    50% or more passed, the client will attempt to renew the lease.

    However, if the lease expires (for example, because the client was off
    when it became time to renew), and if another client has been assigned
    that IP, the first client will get a different one when it comes back
    on. The short lease time may be why the DHCP client table in the router
    seems to show multiple IP addresses for one of your computers.

    Did you find the "refresh" button for the DHCP table? Does it still
    show multiple IP addresses for one computer after you refresh?

    What does ipconfig /all show?
    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Jan 25, 2007