Re: IP address conflict with 2 laptops!?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lem, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. Lem

    Lem Guest

    musiclover wrote:
    > we have 2 XP wireless acer laptops that were working fine thru a trendnet
    > router (which is wired to a W2000pro desktop). yesterday i installed a new
    > wireless device on the network ( netgear MP101 music player).
    > now only one laptop can connect at a time - the other one says it is
    > connected strongly, but searches for an IP address then says "windows system
    > error - IP address conflictc" and 'repair' cannot finish the IP address
    > reassign task.
    > please help, thanks!!

    This sounds as if one or more of the devices connected to your network
    are using static IP addresses and two of them have been set to the same
    IP address or one may have been set to an address that was automatically
    assigned by the router.

    Normally, the router is set to provide IP addresses automatically, using
    a "DHCP server." Although you can leave the router's DHCP server turned
    on to provide automatic IP addresses for some devices on the network,
    while using static or fixed IP addresses for other devices, if you do
    this, you must make sure that none of the static IP addresses you assign
    manually are in the same range that the DHCP server uses to assign
    automatic IP addresses.

    You can turn the router's DHCP server on or off, and if on, set the
    range of IP addresses it will use, from your router's configuration
    utility. This is best accessed from your wired W2K desktop. See your
    router's User Guide for details. If you don't have it, and don't have
    the CD that came with your router, you can download the User Guide from
    the mfr's website.

    To change the laptops to use automatic or static addresses:

    On each of the laptops, go the the Wireless Network Connection
    "properties" screen, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click
    the "Properties" button, and you should get this:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...rties/General/TCPIP_Properties/Auto_DNS.shtml

    You'll have to look in the MP101's User Guide to see what kind of IP
    address (static or automatic) it uses, and how -- if possible -- to
    change that.
    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Jan 22, 2007