Re: IP address being considered international or not

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    John Doe allegedly said:

    > Hi,
    >
    > How do I determine whether a given IP address is considered to be
    > international or not ? Is there a generic web page for this purpose ?

    The four NICs define who holds what address blocks.

    This is the APNIC.

    http://www.apnic.org/

    This is RIPE
    (Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia and African countries located north
    of the equator)

    http://www.ripe.net/

    This is ARIN
    (North America, a portion of the Caribbean, and sub-equatorial Africa)

    http://www.arin.net/

    This is LACNIC
    (Latin America and the Caribbean region)

    http://lacnic.net/en/index.html

    > Is there any software that can monitor international traffic, like a
    > piece of code inserting seemlessly itself into the Windows TCP/IP
    > stack ?
    > I guess all IP address ranges for NZ are known, aren't they ?

    sort of. In reality, an NZ-assigned address can be used outside NZ. If the
    person or company who was assigned the address by APNIC moved from NZ to
    another location, they may well take those IP addresses with them.

    It creates some minor routing issues, but I know this has been done.

    --
    Steve

    Steve, Jul 29, 2003

  2. On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:52:58 +1200, Steve wrote:

    > The four NICs define who holds what address blocks.

    But not where they really are.

    Short of tracerouting sn IP it's almost impossible to figure where it is
    and even then you can't be sure.

    Once upon a time it was easy to figure national vs international. That
    time is long past.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 29, 2003

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler allegedly said:

    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:52:58 +1200, Steve wrote:
    >

    >> The four NICs define who holds what address blocks.

    > But not where they really are.
    >
    > Short of tracerouting sn IP it's almost impossible to figure where it is
    > and even then you can't be sure.
    >
    > Once upon a time it was easy to figure national vs international. That
    > time is long past.

    Agreed.

    --
    Steve