Re: IOS and zebra compatibility and performance

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Phillip Remaker, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. "Ghazan Haider" <> wrote in message
    > Secondly, what about performance? I know the 700 series routers were
    > based on a 386 chip at 25 MHz, and the 2500 are based on a MC68030
    > chip, both of which are far slower than the Pentium 133 MHz computers
    > that people everywhere are throwing out.

    Right, but a router is about I/O performance, not just raw processing speed.
    The narrow 33 MHz PCI bus is not very powerful, and the PC will not have the
    advantage of the specialized ASICs in the 2500 series that boost packet
    throughput. You also jhave a very limited selection of synchronous serial
    hardware, if you use 56k or T1. I don't know if you get Frame relay or any
    popular sync serial protocols with Zebra.

    The generic PC platform will lag behind most dedicated router platforms in
    throughput.

    But it depends on your needs. A lot of folks report adequate T1-class
    throughput ether to ether using LRP code on a P133 with decent (3Com)
    ethernet cards.

    Phillip Remaker, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Phillip Remaker wrote:

    > Right, but a router is about I/O performance, not just raw processing speed.
    > The narrow 33 MHz PCI bus is not very powerful,

    But it's still more than the 25Mhz PCI buses (OK, plural) in the
    original (non-VXR) 7200s.

    > and the PC will not have the
    > advantage of the specialized ASICs in the 2500 series that boost packet
    > throughput.

    Specialized ASICs in a 2500? A 2500 isn't much more than a CPU, some
    memory and quite standard interface controllers.

    > You also jhave a very limited selection of synchronous serial
    > hardware, if you use 56k or T1.

    True.

    > The generic PC platform will lag behind most dedicated router platforms in
    > throughput.

    The somewhat higher-end, yes. But if you need something to terminate a
    T1 to the Internet and run full table BGP, say, a PC with Zebra isn't
    all that bad a choice. It needs gobs of memory, but not all that much
    forwarding performance.

    I used to run a 486/33 NAT-ing a few PCs as my cable router, and all of
    them downloading at full bore (My cable connection is 1.5Mbps down,
    equivalent to a T1) made the CPU hardly tick over; a few percent load.
    And that's with NAT in the mix, not just shunting packets around.

    > But it depends on your needs. A lot of folks report adequate T1-class
    > throughput ether to ether using LRP code on a P133 with decent (3Com)
    > ethernet cards.

    I'd expect quite a bit better than that, if my experience is any indication.

    Regards,

    Marco.

    M.C. van den Bovenkamp, Jul 6, 2003

  3. hi,

    we are running zebra two dual pentium pro 200 machines with 192mb ram.
    and have two bgp fullfeed's it need less memory - which is even cheaper
    - than a cisco3640 with 128mb ram, which is btw unable to hold 2bgp
    fullfeeds!

    throuput may be a idea with gigabit or 10gigabit. but current ports (e1,
    100mbit) is not so hard for a pc with linux or a bsd.
    we made an test three days ago with isdn (cause we have trouble with
    cis801 and the switchboard).

    dialin cis3640 to cis801 (fw-ios) with syncppp: 3s
    dialin cis3640 to linux-notebook with pcmcia-card: 1s

    (no config change on the 3640, both machine hang on a telco switchboard)

    but you must keep in mind. a pc has more cheap parts, which can get bad
    (we solved this by using two machines)

    greetings
    thomas

    Thomas Stegbauer, Jul 7, 2003