Re: IOS 12.2(2)XB3 & audio codecs

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by RC, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. RC

    RC Guest

    What Codecs are you looking for? My experience is that Cisco support more
    then most. Now that I think of it, since the connection to the DMS100 is a
    traditional T1 not an IP connection (is this correct), you have to use G711.
    You could transcode in the router with say an H323 client running G729, but
    that will use DSP resources (it's also the typical approach).

    RC, Sep 5, 2003

  2. RC

    SPD Guest

    RC:

    The problem is that my soft client developer has problems with
    their implementation of G.711. Calls through the Cisco Gateway
    sound robotic with the speach broken. This is due to the soft client
    trying to negotiate comfort noice despite even though the gateway
    never offered it as a negotiable option. (rtp payload type 13).

    I was trying to force the soft client to negotiate a different codec
    for that call leg by placing G.711 at end of my list of prefered
    voice codecs. But since I cannot specify a voice class codec
    for a pots dial-peer so this approach didn't work.

    Thanks for the feedback.
    -Steve

    RC

    SPD, Sep 6, 2003

  3. RC

    RC Guest

    I don't think you're trying to do anything different from anyone else, but
    you approach might be off. The soft client should not be connecting to the
    dial peer configured on the POTS line, instead it should connect to an H323
    dial peer (you are using H323?)within the 2600. The 2600 would then "route"
    the call to the pots circuit based on the destination address (which could
    be that ALL calls go to the POTS circuit). The H323 side can be set to just
    G729, the 2600 transcodes the signal, and the pots uses what it uses (as you
    noticed, there is no choice). Make sure you have QoS set up and sufficient
    DSP resources and you should be all set.

    What is you 2600 hardware configuration? What do you have for DSPs? What is
    the config of the 2600?

    RC, Sep 9, 2003
  4. RC

    SPD Guest

    RC:

    I'm using SIP not H.323 so that may or may not affect the default
    behavior of dial-peers etc. I did expect the 2600 to transcode the
    signal which is why I tried re-ordering the prefered codecs.

    DSP resources are not something I am familiar with. I know
    Cisco has a model for including DSP in devices then logically
    pooling distributed DSPs together but we are not a big Cisco
    shop so I have little more knowledge about DSP resources.
    Can you explain how they can be configured/manipulated on
    a 2620 with a T1 VWIC?

    Thanks,
    Steve

    RC

    SPD, Sep 13, 2003
  5. RC

    RC Guest

    I think it's time to see a config

    RC, Sep 22, 2003
  6. RC

    Brassknight Guest

    is it possible that the T1 interface settings have wrong compand type ?

    I have never worked with T1 interface, but with BRI interfaces, I have to
    set up compand parameter as follows:

    voice-port 2/0

    compand-type a-law

    As default Cisco uses u-law; if you use wrong setting, you hear a robotic
    sound during call

    hi

    Matteo

    > > RC:
    > >
    > > I'm using SIP not H.323 so that may or may not affect the default
    > > behavior of dial-peers etc. I did expect the 2600 to transcode the
    > > signal which is why I tried re-ordering the prefered codecs.
    > >
    > > DSP resources are not something I am familiar with. I know
    > > Cisco has a model for including DSP in devices then logically
    > > pooling distributed DSPs together but we are not a big Cisco
    > > shop so I have little more knowledge about DSP resources.
    > > Can you explain how they can be configured/manipulated on
    > > a 2620 with a T1 VWIC?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Steve
    > >
    > > RC
    > >
    > > >I don't think you're trying to do anything different from anyone else,

    > but
    > > >you approach might be off. The soft client should not be connecting to

    > the
    > > >dial peer configured on the POTS line, instead it should connect to an

    > H323
    > > >dial peer (you are using H323?)within the 2600. The 2600 would then

    > "route"
    > > >the call to the pots circuit based on the destination address (which

    > could
    > > >be that ALL calls go to the POTS circuit). The H323 side can be set to

    > just
    > > >G729, the 2600 transcodes the signal, and the pots uses what it uses

    (as
    > you
    > > >noticed, there is no choice). Make sure you have QoS set up and

    > sufficient
    > > >DSP resources and you should be all set.
    > > >
    > > >What is you 2600 hardware configuration? What do you have for DSPs?

    What
    > is
    > > >the config of the 2600?
    > > >

    > > >"SPD" <> wrote in message