Re: Intetesting is up!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Sep 8, 2009.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Sep 7, 5:03 pm, "Bowser" <> wrote:
    > All the interesting shots have been posted here:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/interesting
    >
    > Why didn't you submit?

    Bowser,
    I think the gallery would be more viewable if you limited the main
    page to just 4 columns instead of 5. The 5th column doesn't evven
    show up on my screen unless I scroll over.
    This is adjustable by editing the Root Gallery settings.

    Annika1980, Sep 8, 2009

  2. Annika1980

    Bowser Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 7, 5:03 pm, "Bowser" <> wrote:
    >> All the interesting shots have been posted here:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/interesting
    >>
    >> Why didn't you submit?

    > Bowser,
    > I think the gallery would be more viewable if you limited the main
    > page to just 4 columns instead of 5. The 5th column doesn't evven
    > show up on my screen unless I scroll over.
    > This is adjustable by editing the Root Gallery settings.

    I'll give it a look. And buy a bigger monitor, ferchrissake. Like the HP
    2475.

    Now suggest a mandate. Something imaginative.

    Bowser, Sep 8, 2009

  3. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Sep 8, 12:51 pm, "Bowser" <> wrote:

    > I'll give it a look. And buy a bigger monitor, ferchrissake. Like the HP
    > 2475.

    It is more a resolution issue. My screen res is 1162x864, probably
    not much different from most other people's.

    > Now suggest a mandate. Something imaginative.

    After talking about Tim's pic I was gonna suggest HDR, but that might
    go against the spirit of the game by submitting manipulated photos.
    So how about "Light & Dark" or as they say in the biz, "High Key / Low
    Key?" Photos should have either light or dark scenes or both. That
    would include (and encourage) HDR photos, but would also allow those
    without post-processing capabilities to submit.
    Perhaps this has already been done in past mandates, I can't remember.
    This is all off the top of my head, so I can probably think of
    something better with a little more time.

    Photography is all about Light, after all, so why not encourage people
    to explore the use of it?

    Annika1980, Sep 8, 2009
  4. Annika1980

    > On Sep 8, 12:51 pm, "Bowser" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I'll give it a look. And buy a bigger monitor, ferchrissake. Like the HP
    >> 2475.

    > It is more a resolution issue. My screen res is 1162x864, probably
    > not much different from most other people's.
    >

    >> Now suggest a mandate. Something imaginative.

    > After talking about Tim's pic I was gonna suggest HDR, but that might
    > go against the spirit of the game by submitting manipulated photos.
    > So how about "Light & Dark" or as they say in the biz, "High Key / Low
    > Key?" Photos should have either light or dark scenes or both. That
    > would include (and encourage) HDR photos, but would also allow those
    > without post-processing capabilities to submit.
    > Perhaps this has already been done in past mandates, I can't remember.
    > This is all off the top of my head, so I can probably think of
    > something better with a little more time.
    >
    > Photography is all about Light, after all, so why not encourage people
    > to explore the use of it?

    http://www.pbase.com/shootin/light

    What would you suggest beyond that?

    Bowser, Sep 8, 2009
  5. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Sep 8, 2:49 pm, "Bowser" <> wrote:

    > > Photography is all about Light, after all, so why not encourage people
    > > to explore the use of it?

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/light
    >
    > What would you suggest beyond that?

    How about exploring the use of light as it falls on ... say,
    Cheerleaders! Or Hummingbirds.

    How about "Flash?" Has that one been done?

    Currently on another forum they are running one called "Straight out
    of the Camera' where the pics must be straight from the camera with no
    re-sizing, editing, etc. Something like this might not be a bad idea,
    but you'd have to allow for re-sizing to get within the normal SI
    mandate guidelines.

    Another interesting one is "A Different Perspective."

    Or how about "Curves?"

    Annika1980, Sep 8, 2009
  6. Annika1980

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 12:02:11 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
    <> wrote:

    >On Sep 8, 2:49 pm, "Bowser" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Photography is all about Light, after all, so why not encourage people
    >> > to explore the use of it?

    >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/light
    >>
    >> What would you suggest beyond that?

    >How about exploring the use of light as it falls on ... say,
    >Cheerleaders! Or Hummingbirds.
    >
    >How about "Flash?" Has that one been done?
    >
    >Currently on another forum they are running one called "Straight out
    >of the Camera' where the pics must be straight from the camera with no
    >re-sizing, editing, etc.

    That's the mandate for the just-started DGrin "Challenges". You want
    this as a mandate so you can get ideas from all those submitted?

    (There's no rule against re-sizing. Just no cropping.)

    >Something like this might not be a bad idea,
    >but you'd have to allow for re-sizing to get within the normal SI
    >mandate guidelines.
    >
    >Another interesting one is "A Different Perspective."

    That's mandate for the just-over DGrin "Challenges". You want this as
    a mandate so you can get ideas from all those already submitted?

    http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

    >Or how about "Curves?"

    That was the mandate for my local camera club's competition a couple
    of months ago.

    Not so easy, picking fresh mandates, is it? Easy to bitch about what
    other people choose, but not so easy to come up with one yourself.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 8, 2009
  7. Annika1980

    N Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 12:02:11 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
    > <> wrote:

    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/light
    >>>
    >>> What would you suggest beyond that?

    >>How about exploring the use of light as it falls on ... say,
    >>Cheerleaders! Or Hummingbirds.
    >>
    >>How about "Flash?" Has that one been done?
    >>
    >>Currently on another forum they are running one called "Straight out
    >>of the Camera' where the pics must be straight from the camera with no
    >>re-sizing, editing, etc.

    > That's the mandate for the just-started DGrin "Challenges". You want
    > this as a mandate so you can get ideas from all those submitted?
    >
    > (There's no rule against re-sizing. Just no cropping.)

    How would you know if an image was cropped or not if you allow resizing?
    Easy to crop to a standard sensor ratio.

    N, Sep 9, 2009
  8. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Sep 8, 3:32 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:

    > Not so easy, picking fresh mandates, is it?  Easy to bitch about what
    > other people choose, but not so easy to come up with one yourself.

    I never claimed it was easy. I simply pointed to those other mandates
    as examples of what a good mandate should be.

    As for getting ideas from looking at others work, I plead "Guilty as
    charged."
    I love looking at great pics taken by others. Sometimes I even get
    good ideas for variations on someone else's pic. I also benefit by
    mistakes others make. I think that's how you learn.

    Given your recent submissions, maybe you should try it?

    Annika1980, Sep 9, 2009
  9. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Sep 8, 3:32 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >Or how about "Curves?"

    >That was the mandate for my local camera club's competition a couple
    >of months ago.

    Yeah, I stole it from there. BTW, your entry sucked.

    >Not so easy, picking fresh mandates, is it? Easy to bitch about what
    >other people choose, but not so easy to come up with one yourself.

    I never said it was easy.
    There is not much original in photography. Pretty much everything we
    shoot has been done before.
    What I am suggesting is that instead of coming up with lame mandates
    like "Interesting" or "Punography" it might be better to draw on some
    proven ideas.
    Looking back over the previous Shoot-In mandates, we've had some
    really good ones (that weren't chosen by me). I see we even did one
    called "Point of View" which is the same as the "Perspective" one I
    mentioned earlier.

    Maybe it's time for another "Wild Card" mandate where you choose a
    previous mandate and shoot for that?

    Also, I don't know why you and Bowser are always looking to me to pick
    a suitable mandate. Isn't that the job of the Moderator?
    Surely there are some original ideas in this Newsgroup that haven't
    been tried yet and would be a suitable mandate.

    Annika1980, Sep 9, 2009
  10. Annika1980

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:00:39 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
    <> wrote:

    >On Sep 8, 3:32 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >
    >> Not so easy, picking fresh mandates, is it?  Easy to bitch about what
    >> other people choose, but not so easy to come up with one yourself.

    >I never claimed it was easy. I simply pointed to those other mandates
    >as examples of what a good mandate should be.
    >
    >As for getting ideas from looking at others work, I plead "Guilty as
    >charged."
    >I love looking at great pics taken by others. Sometimes I even get
    >good ideas for variations on someone else's pic. I also benefit by
    >mistakes others make. I think that's how you learn.
    >
    >Given your recent submissions, maybe you should try it?

    If you have specific critique suggestions, spell 'em out. Otherwise,
    it's just you not liking what I'm saying about you so you feel you
    have to denigrate what I've posted.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 9, 2009
  11. Annika1980

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:14:27 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
    <> wrote:

    >On Sep 8, 3:32 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:

    >>Not so easy, picking fresh mandates, is it? Easy to bitch about what
    >>other people choose, but not so easy to come up with one yourself.

    >I never said it was easy.
    >There is not much original in photography. Pretty much everything we
    >shoot has been done before.
    >What I am suggesting is that instead of coming up with lame mandates
    >like "Interesting" or "Punography" it might be better to draw on some
    >proven ideas.
    >Looking back over the previous Shoot-In mandates, we've had some
    >really good ones (that weren't chosen by me). I see we even did one
    >called "Point of View" which is the same as the "Perspective" one I
    >mentioned earlier.
    >
    >Maybe it's time for another "Wild Card" mandate where you choose a
    >previous mandate and shoot for that?
    >
    >Also, I don't know why you and Bowser are always looking to me to pick
    >a suitable mandate.

    I'm not looking for you to pick a mandate. I'm just tired of seeing
    you whine about what others pick. If letting you have your way will
    shut you up, then it's fine with me if you pick a mandate.

    No mandate is really "lame". If the results are labeled as lame, then
    it's because a) the submitters didn't make a suitable effort, or, b)
    the viewers are spitting out a mouthful of sour grapes.

    All a mandate is is a general guideline. No one gets disqualified for
    not strictly adhering to it. A good mandate is loose enough that the
    submitter is able to incorporate something that touches on the mandate
    but doesn't restrict his/her creativity.

    In that respect, "Interesting" was an excellent mandate. It let the
    submitter decide what qualifies to meet the mandate. It might be
    "lame" for the unimaginative who need specific instructions, though.

    Maybe we should eliminate mandates entirely and go to "My favorite
    shot of the month". Would that shut you up?

    If so, the only requirement would be that it's a fresh shot and not an
    old shot. We might make some months color and some months black and
    white, but other that, no theme.

    In fact, I'll go on record as suggesting this for the next Shoot-In.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 9, 2009
  12. Annika1980

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 11:13:43 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2009-09-09 10:27:30 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:00:39 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I never claimed it was easy. I simply pointed to those other mandates
    >>> as examples of what a good mandate should be.
    >>>
    >>> As for getting ideas from looking at others work, I plead "Guilty as
    >>> charged."
    >>> I love looking at great pics taken by others. Sometimes I even get
    >>> good ideas for variations on someone else's pic. I also benefit by
    >>> mistakes others make. I think that's how you learn.
    >>>
    >>> Given your recent submissions, maybe you should try it?

    >> If you have specific critique suggestions, spell 'em out. Otherwise,
    >> it's just you not liking what I'm saying about you so you feel you
    >> have to denigrate what I've posted.

    >Ok. Since we are not going to get a mandate suggestion from Bret due to
    >his current ridiculous and absurd position on SI, it seems to me an
    >appropriate mandate would be "Ridiculous & Absurd."
    >
    >Submit a photo capture of the ridiculous or the absurd.
    >Now there is a challenge, I don't know if I would be able to get
    >something together in time.

    If it wasn't for the travel constraints, I'd submit a photograph of
    Noons and Bret together and go for the "ridiculous" *and* the
    "absurd".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 9, 2009