Re: Internet sharing anomoly

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, May 2, 2009.

  1. "dogbreath" <> wrote in message
    >I have a LAN of 3, sometimes 4 or 5 PCs. There's no router, just a
    > hub. Only one of the PCs, whose name is Agate, has an internet
    > connection, and it shares its connection with the rest of the LAN.
    >
    > Everything works fine, usually. But sometimes the other PCs can't get
    > to the internet. It will be working fine, and then there is a page
    > load error, and Firefox says it can't find the server. It might happen
    > in the middle of loading a page, and then Firefox says the server was
    > reset. When this happens on one PC it happens on all of them (except
    > Agate). None of them can get to the internet with any app: Firefox,
    > Internet Exp, Agent, Thunderbird. The problem never affects Agate
    > itself. Agate can always get to the internet.
    >
    > The only sure fix is a restart on Agate. Then all the PCs can access
    > the internet ... for a while. Then it happens again in a few minutes
    > or a few hours or days or even weeks. I'll think it must have been an
    > ISP problem, and they fixed it, and now it's gone. And then it starts
    > happening again.
    >
    > I'm running XP home, with SP2 on some and SP3 on others, including
    > Agate. I'm guessing a problem on Agate, but how can I find it and fix
    > it?
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Put SP3 on all of your machines, and get a router.

    Jeff Strickland, May 2, 2009

  2. "dogbreath" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 2 May 2009 15:54:09 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"dogbreath" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a LAN of 3, sometimes 4 or 5 PCs. There's no router, just a
    >>> hub. Only one of the PCs, whose name is Agate, has an internet
    >>> connection, and it shares its connection with the rest of the LAN.
    >>>
    >>> Everything works fine, usually. But sometimes the other PCs can't get
    >>> to the internet. It will be working fine, and then there is a page
    >>> load error, and Firefox says it can't find the server. It might happen
    >>> in the middle of loading a page, and then Firefox says the server was
    >>> reset. When this happens on one PC it happens on all of them (except
    >>> Agate). None of them can get to the internet with any app: Firefox,
    >>> Internet Exp, Agent, Thunderbird. The problem never affects Agate
    >>> itself. Agate can always get to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> The only sure fix is a restart on Agate. Then all the PCs can access
    >>> the internet ... for a while. Then it happens again in a few minutes
    >>> or a few hours or days or even weeks. I'll think it must have been an
    >>> ISP problem, and they fixed it, and now it's gone. And then it starts
    >>> happening again.
    >>>
    >>> I'm running XP home, with SP2 on some and SP3 on others, including
    >>> Agate. I'm guessing a problem on Agate, but how can I find it and fix
    >>> it?
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >>Put SP3 on all of your machines, and get a router.
    >>

    > I don't think SP3 has anything to do with it. I saw the problem before
    > I put SP3 on any of the machines, and after I put it on two of them.
    > No change at all. Agate can always access the internet, the other
    > nodes sometimes not. Including them with or without SP3.
    >
    > Getting a router is good advice, and I suppose I'll do that some day.
    > But it doesn't actually say what the problem is, and I'd like to know
    > what the problem is.
    >
    > I guess I'm looking for something like, "This is typical of a failing
    > power supply," or "Marginal RAM can cause this," or "This is a known
    > XP bug." But I've never heard of any problem like this from anybody.

    Plug the Internet into the router, then plug the the other machines into the
    router. The (wireless) routers I see support 4 wired connections and 256
    wireless connections.

    You say you have a hub, not a router, but I wonder if you are right when you
    say that. You need a router instead of a hub, and electronics stores sell
    routers insterad of hubs, and Internet providers generally provide routers
    instead of hubs.

    Jeff Strickland, May 3, 2009

  3. Jeff Strickland

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <gtiium$evk$>, Jeff Strickland
    <> scribeth thus

    >"dogbreath" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a LAN of 3, sometimes 4 or 5 PCs. There's no router, just a
    >> hub. Only one of the PCs, whose name is Agate, has an internet
    >> connection, and it shares its connection with the rest of the LAN.
    >>
    >> Everything works fine, usually. But sometimes the other PCs can't get
    >> to the internet. It will be working fine, and then there is a page
    >> load error, and Firefox says it can't find the server. It might happen
    >> in the middle of loading a page, and then Firefox says the server was
    >> reset. When this happens on one PC it happens on all of them (except
    >> Agate). None of them can get to the internet with any app: Firefox,
    >> Internet Exp, Agent, Thunderbird. The problem never affects Agate
    >> itself. Agate can always get to the internet.
    >>
    >> The only sure fix is a restart on Agate. Then all the PCs can access
    >> the internet ... for a while. Then it happens again in a few minutes
    >> or a few hours or days or even weeks. I'll think it must have been an
    >> ISP problem, and they fixed it, and now it's gone. And then it starts
    >> happening again.
    >>
    >> I'm running XP home, with SP2 on some and SP3 on others, including
    >> Agate. I'm guessing a problem on Agate, but how can I find it and fix
    >> it?
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    >Put SP3 on all of your machines, and get a router.
    >

    >The simplest and best answer to that one!..

    I presume that you have an ADSL modem somewhere?..

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, May 3, 2009
  4. Jeff Strickland

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <gtiulj$qiu$>, Jeff Strickland
    <> scribeth thus

    >"dogbreath" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 2 May 2009 15:54:09 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"dogbreath" <> wrote in message

    >>>Put SP3 on all of your machines, and get a router.
    >>>

    >> I don't think SP3 has anything to do with it. I saw the problem before
    >> I put SP3 on any of the machines, and after I put it on two of them.
    >> No change at all. Agate can always access the internet, the other
    >> nodes sometimes not. Including them with or without SP3.
    >>
    >> Getting a router is good advice, and I suppose I'll do that some day.
    >> But it doesn't actually say what the problem is, and I'd like to know
    >> what the problem is.
    >>
    >> I guess I'm looking for something like, "This is typical of a failing
    >> power supply," or "Marginal RAM can cause this," or "This is a known
    >> XP bug." But I've never heard of any problem like this from anybody.
    >>

    >Plug the Internet into the router, then plug the the other machines into the
    >router. The (wireless) routers I see support 4 wired connections and 256
    >wireless connections.
    >
    >You say you have a hub, not a router, but I wonder if you are right when you
    >say that. You need a router instead of a hub, and electronics stores sell
    >routers insterad of hubs, and Internet providers generally provide routers
    >instead of hubs.

    Indeed tell us what you actually have there...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, May 3, 2009
  5. "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <gtiium$evk$>, Jeff Strickland
    > <> scribeth thus
    >>
    >>"dogbreath" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a LAN of 3, sometimes 4 or 5 PCs. There's no router, just a
    >>> hub. Only one of the PCs, whose name is Agate, has an internet
    >>> connection, and it shares its connection with the rest of the LAN.
    >>>
    >>> Everything works fine, usually. But sometimes the other PCs can't get
    >>> to the internet. It will be working fine, and then there is a page
    >>> load error, and Firefox says it can't find the server. It might happen
    >>> in the middle of loading a page, and then Firefox says the server was
    >>> reset. When this happens on one PC it happens on all of them (except
    >>> Agate). None of them can get to the internet with any app: Firefox,
    >>> Internet Exp, Agent, Thunderbird. The problem never affects Agate
    >>> itself. Agate can always get to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> The only sure fix is a restart on Agate. Then all the PCs can access
    >>> the internet ... for a while. Then it happens again in a few minutes
    >>> or a few hours or days or even weeks. I'll think it must have been an
    >>> ISP problem, and they fixed it, and now it's gone. And then it starts
    >>> happening again.
    >>>
    >>> I'm running XP home, with SP2 on some and SP3 on others, including
    >>> Agate. I'm guessing a problem on Agate, but how can I find it and fix
    >>> it?
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >>Put SP3 on all of your machines, and get a router.
    >>

    >>The simplest and best answer to that one!..

    > I presume that you have an ADSL modem somewhere?..

    What I really have is FiOS service.

    The fiber optic line comes into a converter that lives inside the wall in my
    garage. The converter splits out the services -- TV, phone, and Internet --
    and feeds them into the respective systems wired into my house. I have a
    router that is connected by a CAT5 cable to the converter, and the computers
    connect wirelessly to the router. Any "modem" that I have is contained in
    the down converter that turns the fiber optics into the various wired
    circuits in my house.

    I occasionally have issues where a machine or two won't connect to the
    router, but the problem when that happens is the router. I simply reboot the
    router and all is well again with the universe ...

    The OP says his sytem has a hub instead of a router, but I think he is
    mistaken. If he is right, he really needs a router instead of a hub. His
    machines have wireless adaptors (either added on or built in) that probably
    have driver issues when he loads SP3. Before I did anything -- if I was
    him -- I'd get the latest drivers for the machines that are giving him
    connectivity issues under SP3.

    My laptops always connect to the router without any problems, but my desktop
    machines gave me fits for a long time. I finally went out and bought
    Wireless -N adaptors (802.11n). These adaptors improved the connection
    reliability several fold. I have a machine that is about 30ft from the
    router, and is separated by exterior walls and a steel door. This machine
    could see the neighbor's router more than double the distance away better
    than it could see my own router. The wireless-n adaptor changed the signal
    strength from weak or very weak to very strong or excellent with no other
    changes to anything.

    If the OP has desktop machines that connect poorly via a wireless adaptor,
    I'd suggest he needs better wireless adaptors.

    Jeff Strickland, May 3, 2009
  6. Jeff Strickland

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, dogbreath
    <> scribeth thus
    >On Sun, 3 May 2009 14:09:25 +0100, tony sayer <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <gtiulj$qiu$>, Jeff Strickland
    >><> scribeth thus
    >>>

    ><snip>
    >>>
    >>>You say you have a hub, not a router, but I wonder if you are right when you
    >>>say that. You need a router instead of a hub, and electronics stores sell
    >>>routers insterad of hubs, and Internet providers generally provide routers
    >>>instead of hubs.
    >>>

    >>Indeed tell us what you actually have there...

    >It's a Linksys 5-port hub, not a router. Pretty old. I don't think
    >they sell hubs anymore for home use, just routers and switches.
    >
    >Agate has two NICs. One, IP addr 192.168.0.1, connects to the hub. The
    >other, IP address provided by the ISP (I guess), connects to a cable
    >modem.
    >
    >I think the problem is a flaw in XP's ICS feature. A router would
    >bypass it.

    Why not just get a cable modem router like what I've e got here?.

    Takes the output of the cable modem and distributes that to the home LAN
    network?..

    Simple .. works fine with no trouble ... uses sod all power ... offers
    NAT translation .. any old PC running Win whatever .. Linux .. just
    the job:))..

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, May 3, 2009
  7. Jeff Strickland

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, dogbreath
    <> scribeth thus
    >On Sun, 3 May 2009 06:45:26 -0700, "dennis meissner"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Getting a router is the best solution for your configuration.
    >>
    >>One of the items not mentioned is who is supplying the ip adderss (assuming
    >>dhcp)? If it is your internet provider you might have a conversation with
    >>them if you intend on keeping the hub configuration. Not sure about other
    >>providers but mine in my area does not like passing out multiple ip
    >>addresses. They are starting to limit what they pass out to each
    >>customer... might me an issue like that.
    >>
    >>Again a router is the best course and quite inexpensive for a simple one.
    >>
    >>dennis

    >I think the ISP only supplies one IP address, and that in my case is
    >to the NIC in Agate that connects to the cable modem. The other NIC in
    >Agate that connects to the hub has IP address 192.168.0.1, which I
    >think is standard for an ICS host. The other nodes in the LAN use
    >static IP addressing to bypass another XP LAN problem I was having,
    >where computers kept disappearing from the workgroup list.
    >
    >I expect a router is indeed the best way to go.

    Yes we used something like you have "Wingate" IIRC threw all that out
    years ago and never a problem since:))..
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, May 3, 2009
  8. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    dogbreath wrote:

    > On Sun, 3 May 2009 14:09:25 +0100, tony sayer <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <gtiulj$qiu$>, Jeff Strickland
    >><> scribeth thus
    >>>

    > <snip>
    >>>
    >>>You say you have a hub, not a router, but I wonder if you are right
    >>>when you say that. You need a router instead of a hub, and
    >>>electronics stores sell routers insterad of hubs, and Internet
    >>>providers generally provide routers instead of hubs.
    >>>

    >>Indeed tell us what you actually have there...

    > It's a Linksys 5-port hub, not a router. Pretty old. I don't think
    > they sell hubs anymore for home use, just routers and switches.
    >
    > Agate has two NICs. One, IP addr 192.168.0.1, connects to the hub. The
    > other, IP address provided by the ISP (I guess), connects to a cable
    > modem.
    >
    > I think the problem is a flaw in XP's ICS feature. A router would
    > bypass it.

    ICS is flaky at best ! A router would be much better !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, May 4, 2009